advertisement

Engine Remapping

I have had a remap done (by Simon of e-maps, who is well regarded) to a BMW E46 M3 and it transformed the drivability of the car.

My c-class has a 7 speed auto and that definitely pulls away in 1st when in the default (comfort) mode. I've not noticed what it does in economy but will give it a try.

It does look like the C200 (which is what I have) and the C300 are the same engine, and the chip tuning numbers are only slightly higher than the base C300 tune. I suspect the auto-boxes are the same, and my C200 is the AMG trim so already has pretty big brakes etc. - so suspect it'd be fine although I'll definitely check on the Mercedes forums first if I did decide to go ahead.

The standard car is reasonably quick however the upgrade is tempting as the C300 is about a full second quicker to 60mph (at just under 6 seconds) which would be fun from time to time.
will mercedes service it with a remap? I bought a C200 ex-demo and it’s already had a number of software issues- ie non existent faults flagged up

Last edited:
A proper remap, intended for road use, should not flag any faults and should meet all emissions specified for that vehicle.

will mercedes service it with a remap?
Having never owned a Mercedes I can't comment however I know that Audi can detect a remap, even one that has been removed and put back to stock (Google TD1 code).

It won't affect servicing but you may come unstuck if you need to make a warranty claim.

Personally I would not remap a car that is still covered by manufacturer warranty.

My JCW Mini is mapped and fully declared. The only downside is the increased exhasut noise.

What’s the impact on insurance?

When I was buying a Discovery 3 a few years ago, I nearly got one with a remapped engine until I got the insurance quote of over £500 - the insurance for the unmapped version was only £150. I ended up with an unmapped one!

Cheers. Bill

Having never owned a Mercedes I can't comment however I know that Audi can detect a remap, even one that has been removed and put back to stock (Google TD1 code)
It appears that the VW group TD1 etc codes thing was mainly a hoax. A false letter was created and then circulated. However, I wouldn’t risk a car within warranty with a remap. It’s a gamble, no mater how small the risk, and I can’t afford a new engine or gearbox for a model that almost certainly won’t be popular in the scrapyards.

What the dealers can do, if a warranty claim is made, is take a very close look at the ECU/s to see if anything is non-standard.

There’s a thread on pistonheads at the mo about this stuff. Honda, I think, bought used, owner notices engine issue, used car dealer says no warranty as ECU remapped. Not by the latest owner, it wasn’t, and he found proof.

It appears that the VW group TD1 etc codes thing was mainly a hoax. A false letter was created and then circulated. However, I wouldn’t risk a car within warranty with a remap. It’s a gamble, no mater how small the risk, and I can’t afford a new engine or gearbox for a model that almost certainly won’t be popular in the scrapyards.

Re. TD1 I can only go on a conversation I had with a VAG Master Tech when I owned my S4 but have to agree that I'd not re-map a car in warranty.

I had my Octavia 1.9Tdi done by Shark Performance some years ago. Increased the BHP from 110 to 140 iirc. It transformed the car which was superb thereafter. Fuel economy wasn't affected or possibly was a little better.

You do have to tell the insurers though. Apparently they check these things in the event of an accident.

Tempted at some stage to get my W212 220Cdi looked at, but no rush.

It does look like the C200 (which is what I have) and the C300 are the same engine, and the chip tuning numbers are only slightly higher than the base C300 tune. I suspect the auto-boxes are the same, and my C200 is the AMG trim so already has pretty big brakes etc. - so suspect it'd be fine although I'll definitely check on the Mercedes forums first if I did decide to go ahead.

The standard car is reasonably quick however the upgrade is tempting as the C300 is about a full second quicker to 60mph (at just under 6 seconds) which would be fun from time to time.

A few years ago, my step son was Mercedes World's service manager at Brooklands and told me that they were offering their own remapping with unaffected warranty. Can't see it offered anywhere now though.

My C200 in Sport plus bonkers mode and 9G box is quick enough for me now!

It’s a BMW 520d auto tourer 47k 12 plate, I don’t need more speed but I would like it to be more responsive from the get go, I think it starts in 2nd gear and as you give it more gas it drops down to first and lunges forward, it’s very annoying.

IMO leave the engine alone; the 4 pots like to spit their chains out at times... Asking for more trouble mapping it, but each to their own

Although getting the box flashed with updated software could be well worthwhile. Look into the ZF turning for these autoboxes

I had my Octavia 1.9Tdi done by Shark Performance some years ago. Increased the BHP from 110 to 140 iirc. It transformed the car which was superb thereafter. Fuel economy wasn't affected or possibly was a little better.

You do have to tell the insurers though. Apparently they check these things in the event of an accident.

Tempted at some stage to get my W212 220Cdi looked at, but no rush.

I remember talking to a Skoda dealer about the differences between the range of 2.0 litre diesel engines in a model I was thinking of buying. He explained that they were the same engine with different maps but the difference in price was justified by the improvements in suspension and brakes you got with a higher level of power.

That always made me think twice about remapping a basic car.

I remember talking to a Skoda dealer about the differences between the range of 2.0 litre diesel engines in a model I was thinking of buying. He explained that they were the same engine with different maps

Unlikely.

One look at how far the base engine can be remapped compared to the most powerful shows that there are component differences. Usually intercooler, injectors, turbo, fuel pump.

It’s a BMW 520d auto tourer 47k 12 plate, I don’t need more speed but I would like it to be more responsive from the get go, I think it starts in 2nd gear and as you give it more gas it drops down to first and lunges forward, it’s very annoying.

Speak to Birds.

https://www.birdsauto.com/parts/M1012205184

If anyone knows about the pros and cons of remapping / tuning BMWs, it's them. Their remap offers +34BHP.

If you do remap, I'd recommend a gearbox service and get the chains and tensioners checked.

Unlikely.

One look at how far the base engine can be remapped compared to the most powerful shows that there are component differences. Usually intercooler, injectors, turbo, fuel pump.

Also often material choices for critical components inc pistons/rods for higher temp/pressure duty; rod little-end bearings; distribution of cooled oil under pressure (eg u/s of piston squirters or not, other internal choices like that.) Some of these things may just be selection bins from normal supply, some may be actual different spec. Stuff that is v v simple on a production line, but difficult to ascertain/reproduce later. Face it - manufacturers don't spend 1c more than they believe they have to on parts,: so if the higher power model exhibits different specification in fine non-obvious details - it's because that choice was deemed needed for lifespan/warranty reasons.

and -
-with gentle use of your own 'wound-up' version - you may,or may not find that limit. It'll have arisen in endurance testing, when you're own idea of a good squirt now-and-then might not get close to those limits. But one cannot know this for sure.

advertisement

Back