advertisement

Engine Remapping

I had my Octavia 1.9Tdi done by Shark Performance some years ago. Increased the BHP from 110 to 140 iirc. It transformed the car which was superb thereafter. Fuel economy wasn't affected or possibly was a little better.

You do have to tell the insurers though. Apparently they check these things in the event of an accident.

Tempted at some stage to get my W212 220Cdi looked at, but no rush.
If remapping raises power and reduces fuel consumption why would Manufacturers not do it at at the production stage?

If remapping raises power and reduces fuel consumption why would Manufacturers not do it at at the production stage?

For petrol engines, manufacturers map engines to run anywhere in the World where a lot of places have lower octane fuel than is available in the UK. A car running on UK fuel can have the mapping optimised for that higher octane rating and so more power and better consumption. Try and run a car optimized for 95 RON on 90 RON and it will not be happy.

https://effective-tuning.com/blog/why-car-remap-is-not-made-in-factory/

The manufacturer may have to set the engine parameters to a lower standard of fuel was a reason given in the past but may not be true now.
If you you use the extra performance then you will use more fuel.

Most importantly a decent map will pass the MOT (if one is needed).

A mate has a m140i mapped, new injectors and decat, it's about 450 horses. Sounds like it'll eat itself and terrifying as a passenger.

Manufacturers DO 'chip tuning' / 'engine remapping' and have done for a long time. In the 1990's Volvos 850 T5 R was just that, 15 HP extra for free (but not for the customers). There are more examples.

I've got a 66 plate VW Tiguan diesel 190bhp, when I got it I noticed a bit of a flat spot when accelerating, after a quick internet search I found this was the norm for this model but I found a company whose owner had the same car and could remap it to give a slight increase in BHP and torque and get rid of the flat spot.
£200 and a trip to Sunderland later it was sorted (they also dyno'd it before and after)

it's now 220bhp and has loads more torque (can't remember the figures) and the flat spot has gone

Night and day difference now when driving the car

I've got a 66 plate VW Tiguan diesel 190bhp, when I got it I noticed a bit of a flat spot when accelerating, after a quick internet search I found this was the norm for this model but I found a company whose owner had the same car and could remap it to give a slight increase in BHP and torque and get rid of the flat spot.
£200 and a trip to Sunderland later it was sorted (they also dyno'd it before and after)

it's now 220bhp and has loads more torque (can't remember the figures) and the flat spot has gone

Night and day difference now when driving the car

What amazes me is that a company as large as VW didn't do that when testing the prototype. What do all those test drivers and engineers do ?

What amazes me is that a company as large as VW didn't do that when testing the prototype. What do all those test drivers and engineers do ?

They have to actually consider stuff like emission regulations, fegs friendly company probably doesn't give a shit.

Come to think of it, VW doesn't either...

I was considering it for my Fiat Spider taking from 168 to 200bhp, the Fiat dealer said that if I did I would need to tell them at each service otherwise they would find it out of spec and put it back to what it should be. Not sure how true this is though.

I was considering it for my Fiat Spider taking from 168 to 200bhp, the Fiat dealer said that if I did I would need to tell them at each service otherwise they would find it out of spec and put it back to what it should be. Not sure how true this is though.
It happens a lot. Imagine taking your remapped 2016 VW diesel in for a recall, and they not only remove the remap software, but they install post-dieselgate software in its place!

Yeah, loud popping on the overrun is a bit chavvy. Having said that my bike does a bit of mild popping but only in full power mode.

My C200 in Sport plus bonkers mode and 9G box is quick enough for me now!

I was surprised how sprightly my C200 is, given it doesn't have that much power. I have a C250 Coupe before it (the V6 one) and the C200 is much, much quicker. The engine note isn't as nice though.

I would never remap an engine.
When I had the 6 cylinder BMW diesel everybody told me I should do it.
I didn’t.
The original engineers know better and I trust them.

I remember talking to a Skoda dealer about the differences between the range of 2.0 litre diesel engines in a model I was thinking of buying. He explained that they were the same engine with different maps but the difference in price was justified by the improvements in suspension and brakes you got with a higher level of power.

That always made me think twice about remapping a basic car.
I think this is right if someone wants to remap for the purpose of driving like a loon. If the car accelerates a little better and provides better economy, I think a modest map is perfectly reasonable. I never drive any faster no matter the power of the car I'm driving, but to have extra overtaking manoeuvrability e.g. is not a bad thing.

I would never remap an engine.
When I had the 6 cylinder BMW everybody told me I should do it.
I didn’t.
The original engineers know better and I trust them.

A remap of a normally aspirated engine tends to have much less benefit than on one with forced induction. Getting more horses from an N/A 6 usually requires mechanical changes. Then it's often cheaper to buy something with more power from stock.

advertisement

Back