advertisement

Engine Remapping

I thought it was the ultimate driving machiine to start with?
That reminds me of the tame reviewer who would heap superlatives on the favoured brand’s latest statement product. Two years later when reviewing the company’s successor statement product, he says it “makes the previous one sound broken”.

That reminds me of the tame reviewer who would heap superlatives on the favoured brand’s latest statement product. Two years later when reviewing the company’s successor statement product, he says it “makes the previous one sound broken”.
Like an old boss of mine Downunder, whose latest car was the bee's knees, and you only heard of its deficiencies when its replacement as World's Most Fabulous Car came along.

Porker fanboy C.'Arris by any chance ?

Yeah, the map was really designed for a car with cats ...of which mine has none !!
I'm thinking about getting this: https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...ghtspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

Do you see any reason why one should not not? Other than:

It's not an S (or R)
It's a 987.1
It's got a red interior

I love the colour combo, sports exhaust, PASM, wheels, and interior spec of Bose and carbon. I also understand it has the larger IMS bearing than an 05 or 06 987.1?

Great car. If you’ve no previous experience with Porsche, get an Indy inspection done. And take a thorough look at the service history. A complete service history is a must.
The aircon rads are down low, just behind the front wheels & as such are prone to stone chip puncture damage, so check the air con is blowing nice & icy.
If you’re much over 6ft, check you can get comfy in the drivers seat.
Ok it’s not an S, but then an equivalent S would cost more. There may well be some newer pocket rocket hot hatch types that boast a quicker 0-60 time, but not much comes close to the overall driving feel of a Cayman.
If it’s got a proper service history & all is well, as long as you like the colour combo ( the interior is not going to be to everyone’s taste), then the Cayman is a very well built & practical sports car.

Great car. If you’ve no previous experience with Porsche, get an Indy inspection done. And take a thorough look at the service history. A complete service history is a must.
The aircon rads are down low, just behind the front wheels & as such are prone to stone chip puncture damage, so check the air con is blowing nice & icy.
If you’re much over 6ft, check you can get comfy in the drivers seat.
Ok it’s not an S, but then an equivalent S would cost more. There may well be some newer pocket rocket hot hatch types that boast a quicker 0-60 time, but not much comes close to the overall driving feel of a Cayman.
If it’s got a proper service history & all is well, as long as you like the colour combo ( the interior is not going to be to everyone’s taste), then the Cayman is a very well built & practical sports car.
Thanks.

My worry is selling it on...he is not that cheap, maybe a bright red interiror should be cheaper. And it's been there at that price for 5 weeks in a supposed buoyant used market. But I love it. I can't get excited about any Porsches with black interiors, particularly silver, grey, navy blue and black ones. I'd rather buy a Lotus or something than have a drab looking Porsche. And it's hard finding a Porsche of that era in interesting colours!

My girlfriend has a 997.2 PDK 911 and I get on with the driving position and overall quality. Doesn't blow me away to be honest, but it's the cabrio Carrera. Looks a bit numpty from the side, is not that fast, feels heavy, has standard exhaust and it scuttle shakes on bumpy roads. The PDK, while impressive, takes something away from the driving experience too. I'm hoping even a basic Cayman with a 110bhp deficit will feel a bit more driver-focussed, being manual, 200kg lighter, better balanced and with a decent exhaust note .

I had a manual (3.6) 996 Carrera for a couple of years. Black with black interior. Nowt boring about that colour combo on a Porsche. It’s classy. Wonderful sounding naturally aspirated engine, great to drive with balanced handling and great visibility. Loved it!

I love the red interior, it would be dull without it. Not being an S might be an advantage, less likely to have been raged round a race track.

If you’re worrying about interior trim colours while driving a Porsche, sell it. Sell it and buy a tumble dryer.

I'm thinking about getting this: https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...ghtspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

Do you see any reason why one should not not? Other than:

It's not an S (or R)
It's a 987.1
It's got a red interior

I love the colour combo, sports exhaust, PASM, wheels, and interior spec of Bose and carbon. I also understand it has the larger IMS bearing than an 05 or 06 987.1?
There's nowhere to put a bike?
Other than that it's great. Rather optimistic on price perhaps, but everyone reports buoyant prices and short supply at the moment.

I love the red interior, it would be dull without it. Not being an S might be an advantage, less likely to have been raged round a race track.
I'm reading also that the 2.7 does not get the bore score problem...it's all adding up in the right way.

advertisement

Back