advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

And paid.

Seems odd for such a high-roller event to rely upon volunteers.

In the U.K. especially, doing ‘good things’ for free is admired by all. Giving blood, for example is seen as a very charitable, almost middle class thing to do. Whereas in some countries, giving blood is seen as something the homeless do to get more money for cocaine or alcohol. I know which I prefer.

The marshals are generally treated very well by the drivers and teams after a race day.

In the U.K. especially, doing ‘good things’ for free is admired by all. Giving blood, for example is seen as a very charitable, almost middle class thing to do. Whereas in some countries, giving blood is seen as something the homeless do to get more money for cocaine or alcohol. I know which I prefer.

The marshals are generally treated very well by the drivers and teams after a race day.

In the UK, the sentiments of working for free to 'gain experience' are also massively abused. I really support being paid to give blood, as if it would help a homeless person get through another night in the cold with a bottle of White Lightning, then I am all for it. (cocaine is not the drug of choice homeless people btw)

And paid.

Seems odd for such a high-roller event to rely upon volunteers.
Some marshals are paid and they are a bit better protected. I.e. the health and safety procedures are better for the paid marshals and this clearly should not be the case.

My understanding is that they pay marshals for things like track or commercial days or even F1 test days (for example the Pirelli day at Silverstone on Tuesday after Silverstone had paid marshals). But race events like normal races, club or international have volunteer marshals.

The marshals I’ve met said that, apart from really enjoying such an important job for racing, they loved the social life, meeting drivers, and just being a part of the whole weekend.

When I was helping out with a rallycross team in the heady days of 1988-90, the social scene certainly was something to behold, and all paid for by Vauxhall and Philips.

The Swiss commentator said that reverse grids produce interesting races! Neverthelsss, I hope butts are being kicked at Mercedes for not bringing Hamilton in the get rid of the intermediates.

Some good racing today in strange circumstances. I would have thought that HAM and Mercedes would have discussed a drying track scenario during the Red Flag Stoppage? They obviously thought track position was more important for the restart, when in reality, being on the right tyres was. ALO did a very good job to hold up HAM which probably cost HAM a chance of the win. Still, it was nice to see OCO and VET on the podium and either would have been worthy winners.

VER managed to salvage a point in the end, so better than nothing. Good on Toto for apologising publicly. Yet Christian still whinged for Red Bull about engines, money and they are already saying these incidents could cost them the championships. They really need to take a bottle of chill pills.

Just caught up with the race, blinking flip that was dramatic.

I do wonder what would have happened if HAM had pitted, I am pretty sure a few might have stayed out but equally as the Merc pit is right at the start of the pit lane would he have ended up near the back anyway as he would not have been released after a stop until all the cars had trundled past.

Probably better than dead last but who knows.

Some good racing today in strange circumstances. I would have thought that HAM and Mercedes would have discussed a drying track scenario during the Red Flag Stoppage? They obviously thought track position was more important for the restart, when in reality, being on the right tyres was. ALO did a very good job to hold up HAM which probably cost HAM a chance of the win. Still, it was nice to see OCO and VET on the podium and either would have been worthy winners.

VER managed to salvage a point in the end, so better than nothing. Good on Toto for apologising publicly. Yet Christian still whinged for Red Bull about engines, money and they are already saying these incidents could cost them the championships. They really need to take a bottle of chill pills.

Worth a repost

E7fLsI0XIAIOH5T.jpg

The Swiss commentator said that reverse grids produce interesting races! Neverthelsss, I hope butts are being kicked at Mercedes for not bringing Hamilton in the get rid of the intermediates.

It was his choice. There is no team radio on the formation lap.

Fatigue and dizziness are what Lewis was experiencing on the podium. He’s ok now. That really took it out of him.

The marshals I’ve met said that, apart from really enjoying such an important job for racing, they loved the social life, meeting drivers, and just being a part of the whole weekend.

When I was helping out with a rallycross team in the heady days of 1988-90, the social scene certainly was something to behold, and all paid for by Vauxhall and Philips.

That's all fine and good but they're still being taken advantage of by some people who are profiting massively.

advertisement

Back