advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mouth say dung?

From the Guardian: "An interesting new front may be opening in the relationship between the UK and China: the government is considering backtracking on allowing Chinese companies to operate British nuclear power stations."

I'm sure Comrade Barron has the inside track, and will update us in due course.

EV, what's this about saving 13p on a bottle of wine post Brexit? The Express is very excited about it.

UK Govt says it will scrap paperwork including Lab Analysis VI-1 Cert. which they estimate will save importers £100m which, if they pass on, is about 10p a bottle. This could be the first positive after 64,000 replies, unless of course someone now slips ethanol in your wine.

Von Barron morphs into Comrade Barron.
The flag of The People’s Republic of China will be going up over the proposed Chinese Envision battery factory in Sunderland. This is what makes the Chinese flag post, like the British-built Titanic references to the EU so unintentionally hilarious.

EV, what's this about saving 13p on a bottle of wine post Brexit? The Express is very excited about it.

No idea. If you're reading the Express, perhaps you could tell me.

EV has also posted that he doesn't like contracts. Not sure why; maybe, like Boris, he thinks the rules don't apply to him.

I said that I don't like entering into contracts with wine producers. If I did it would mean that I would be compelled either to lie to my customers, or to dump the wine, were they to present a duff vintage. In either case, it would mean that the business would fail.

If you don't enter into a contract, then there are no rules to be applied.

UK Govt says it will scrap paperwork including Lab Analysis VI-1 Cert. which they estimate will save importers £100m which, if they pass on, is about 10p a bottle. This could be the first positive after 64,000 replies.

Ah, right, that is indeed excellent news.

The VI-1 certificate is an EU thing that was rolled over into UK law post brexit.

No idea. If you're reading the Express, perhaps you could tell me.

I said that I don't like entering into contracts with wine producers. If I did it would mean that I would be compelled either to lie to my customers, or to dump the wine, were they to present a duff vintage. In either case, it would mean that the business would fail.

If you don't enter into a contract, then there are no rules to be applied.

If you don't like rules, you don't enter contracts.

That comment about wine producers sounds a little murky. Care to expand?

It is certainly true that international trade agreements impose various contractual obligations. I am sticking my neck out a little on this one, but I think only the EU insists upon its own, highly activist supreme Court, can act as arbitrator in disputes. In most Treaties dispute arbitration bodies would be expected to be independent and neutral.

This legal imperialism, by which the EU always seeks to impose its own legal regulatory order onto countries both within and without its membership, is central to its current disputes both with the UK and Switzerland.
Having to deal with laws and courts and things like that, I can answer this one. International trade agreements between countries are usually arbitrated under a mutually agreed arbitration court, often in a neutral country. However, the EU has an overarching law framework, and, in order for this to work, there must be a court that can decide on matters relating to that law, hence the CJEU. If you don't have this overall framework, you hit problems.

For example, in my world, infringement of a European Patent granted by the EPO (not an EU organisation - e.g. Switzerland, Norway and Turkey are contracting states) is heard under national law. This can lead to some very odd results. In one case, the UK High Court and the German Bundespatentgericht came to exactly opposite conclusions on the same set of facts (German patent law has a rather different concept of what the skilled person would know). This is the reason for the interest in a Unified Patent Court covering the EU. The German Bundesverfassungsgericht (Federal Constitutional Court) has recently thrown out attempts to block German ratification, so it looks as if the dream of a Europe-wide patent under the auspices of a single court will proceed.

So, given the nature of the EU, it was inevitable that a unified legal framework would, indeed had to, arise. You could argue that there should never have been the unified law in the first place and that it all should have been a series of bilateral or multilateral agreements with an agreed arbitration court for each individual case. But this never happened and, for better or worse, we got Maastrict instead.

I see a lot of CJEU decisions in the IP field, and I can see no grounds for thinking that it is other than independent and neutral. And it is certainly nothing like as extraterritorial as the USA when it comes to extending the law beyond its borders.

It is certainly true that international trade agreements impose various contractual obligations. I am sticking my neck out a little on this one, but I think only the EU insists upon its own, highly activist supreme Court, can act as arbitrator in disputes. In most Treaties dispute arbitration bodies would be expected to be independent and neutral.

This legal imperialism, by which the EU always seeks to impose its own legal regulatory order onto countries both within and without its membership, is central to its current disputes both with the UK and Switzerland.
You should probably distinguish international trade agreements from other matters, and arbitration procedures from who has the final say when it comes to deciding which interpretation of a given law is correct.

Do you think the US allows international arbitration bodies to decide how US law should be interpreted? I don't know the answer to that for sure, but I suspect they're not going to let others decide and create precedents. Trade agreements have arbitration mechanisms where each party appoints arbitrators, etc. but here, for example, is how the US views the new USMCA (successor to NAFTA with all the usual neutral arbitration mechanisms): "U.S.  Customs and Border Protection (CBP) issues binding advance rulings and other legal decisions in connection with the importation of merchandise into the United States. Advance rulings provide the international trade community with a transparent and efficient means of understanding how CBP will treat a prospective import or carrier transaction. Rulings relating to U.S. – Mexico – Canada Agreement (USMCA) preferential treatment claims have begun to be issued, and can be accessed via the Customs Online Rulings Search System (CROSS)."

What hope is there for Britain, caught in the pincers of an ‘activist’ judiciary and a ‘maximalist’ commission in Europe? Might it be an idea for us to get rid of a constitutionally dishonest Prime Minister as a starting point?

The flag of The People’s Republic of China will be going up over the proposed Chinese Envision battery factory in Sunderland. This is what makes the Chinese flag post, like the British-built Titanic references to the EU so unintentionally hilarious.
The Nissan red bus investment which will result in the UK, Japanese and the Chinese flags flying together in Washington Co Durham was a choice. Whether an independent Scotland will have any choice as to whether they sell assets to the Chinese to make ends meet remains to be seen.

EV has also posted that he doesn't like contracts. Not sure why; maybe, like Boris, he thinks the rules don't apply to him.

I think we've established that ET is OK with lies as long as they produce the results he desires. Would you buy untested wine from someone with such flexible standards as ET?

I think we've established that ET is OK with lies as long as they produce the results he desires. Would you buy untested wine from someone with such flexible standards as ET?
To be fair EV seems to know wine better than anybody on here, and serious about quality/price. I find his suggestions about wine most useful, and would not hesitate to buy from him if I was in his part of England.

If you don't like rules, you don't enter contracts.

That comment about wine producers sounds a little murky. Care to expand?

Why so? The only contract that a wine importer needs to enter into with the producer is to pay him/her. Sole agency importers obviously enter into a contract, but it is an area of no interest to me. My business is anyway far too small, and we don't have the sales and support infrastructure to sell wines nationally to the trade.

What hope is there for Britain, caught in the pincers of an ‘activist’ judiciary and a ‘maximalist’ commission in Europe? Might it be an idea for us to get rid of a constitutionally dishonest Prime Minister as a starting point?

The means to do it is there. It is known as universal suffrage, and the ballot box, something denied us in regard of the President if the European Commission. Even when we were EU members.

In extremis he could also face a no confidence vote in Parliament.

Does this mean we get to drink anti-freeze again?

I think the choice to do that gas always been there, should it take your fancy, though I wouldn't recommend it!

To be fair EV seems to know wine better than anybody on here, and serious about quality/price. I find his suggestions about wine most useful, and would not hesitate to buy from him if I was in his part of England.

Thank you PsB. I would argue that there are a few who post on the Christmas Wine thread who are also at least as knowledgable, and often much more so in specific areas. I certainly include yourself in that category!

Who exactly is the “we” you’re counting on to support such a comment? I suspect there may be only a couple of people supporting you with that one.

Absolutely. I haven't "had enough of experts" and wouldn't hesitate to follow ET's advice on wine, or buy from him for that matter. I do find it disappointing that he hasn't more empathy with the thousands of small businesses and related citizens who are caught up (many ruined) by the ERG ideological fantasy, or the obvious plundering agenda of the Brexit Party government - but those are different matters and the evidence of the destructive nature of this exercise will only grow.

I do, Steve. I thought I articulated that quite clearly back in Feb/March. The doubts are there all the time.

The Nissan red bus investment which will result in the UK, Japanese and the Chinese flags flying together in Washington Co Durham was a choice. Whether an independent Scotland will have any choice as to whether they sell assets to the Chinese to make ends meet remains to be seen.
You should limit yourself to doing the books at the bowling club Colin, for you are the voice of parochialism on these threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back