advertisement

Stock Market 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or 3.54% a year with divis. Agree it's hardly stellar when you factor in inflation but it's a return.
That link brings back old memories. Cazenove used to one of my customers and I had to sign a declaration not to use insider trading information! They used to have offices in Token House Yard and those narrow allies are rather claustrophobic. It was like being in a movie about the Great Fire! It was also the first time that I used DWDM to provide resilient high-speed digital links between their hot servers and backups.

Memories.

BTW that % assumes that you did nothing over 19 years. In fact loads of people made lots of money over that period. There is more to investing than looking at the FTSE index. The re-investment of income leads to exponential growth and that can lead to huge returns if you give it time. Its the gamblers i.e. those looking for a quick buck that get burned.

Cheers,

DV

I always keep an eye on the car market as it's a good barometer of economic trends, etc.
One big thing to come out of Covid is people being prepared to buy cars online UNSEEN!

Not just cars, houses.

I don't think it is anything specific about a modern trend, but a sign of the times where things are gone quick.

I have phoned up about a couple of houses to rent on the day they've been listed and been told they'll put me on the list to view it, then never get a call. I suspect people are calling up and saying they'll take it without even seeing it in person.

Not just cars, houses.

I don't think it is anything specific about a modern trend, but a sign of the times where things are gone quick.

I have phoned up about a couple of houses to rent on the day they've been listed and been told they'll put me on the list to view it, then never get a call. I suspect people are calling up and saying they'll take it without even seeing it in person.

That’s if it even gets online. Unless you really need to move, I’d stay put in this market and wait for the tables to turn. I’ve got a place soon available, looks like it may well be let ‘off market’ to a pre qualified tenant before it even hits Rightmove. Happens a lot with house sales.

BT on a bit of a roll. Doubled since I bought last year. In contrast, my VOD shares are up 27% over the same period (good divs). Will let them both run, BT will start paying divs and both way off historic levels.

The stock market trick would be to separate the fibre from the pensions, sell off the fibre division and leave the tax payer to rescue the pensioners

BT on a bit of a roll.
What exactly do BT own these days. Is Openreach under them?

Openreach is indeed a major part of BT, despite calls over recent years to hive it off. An investment firm bought a large slice of BT very recently; think he may be a major shareholder (>5%). Last (interim) divi. Feb. last year. Had my 1092 shares since privatisation, and despite many up 'n' downs and no divi. periods, I reckon they don't owe me anything now.

The stock market trick would be to separate the fibre from the pensions, sell off the fibre division and leave the tax payer to rescue the pensioners

It’s hung over them for decades, the old BT DB pensions are incredible, lottery wins really in DC terms. Of course, if they were still in state hands, the tax payer would indeed be picking up the tab. The DB scheme closed in 2018 so will still take a while to wash through.

Pretty sideways few months (sort yourself out Gold/Silver!!) but at least my bet on a Morrison's takeover has legs...I'm not selling...Amazon may want them...

Only another £24BN added to the slate in May. Public sector debt closing in on 100% of GDP. Horrifying.

https://apple.news/AyhlhjzzCR9ecniObFqx_TQ
iu

I know...only £5k a year...m

Sure everyone's house has gone up by that... she'll be grand :)

The whole thing is ridiculous. I keep hearing feeding frenzy stories from the housing market. House / asset prices should be on their arse. Every pound the govt hands out that it hasn’t got inflates prices for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back