advertisement

Don't let anyone tell you mains supply doesn't matter

I couldn't disagree more strongly. Your beliefs are as valid as those of a Qanon follower or anti-vaxxer and 100% wrong! Mains, fuses. power cables etc etc is entirely fake news... those who believe in such crap are no better than those who believe in David Ickes rantings.

Belief in such things ("belief" as in religious faith for it has no factual content) is in fact as good an example of Dunning-Kruger Effect as one will ever see as thinking such things are possible proves you have no understanding of the subject whatsoever.

Have a good think about what you and several others are saying here. You admit no knowledge of electronics, that you have to send away any faulty equipment to someone like myself to be repaired. You certainly couldn't design anything, not even a crystal set radio, and wouldn't in fact have the knowledge to visualise the schematic of a crystal set in order to know why I used that example. And yet... you reckon that on something as simple as mere lengths of wire, page 1, chapter 1 of "My first book of electricity" "Conductors and Insulators"... you are right and I and all the electronic engineers in the world are wrong and you are right???? REALLY? I mean REALLLLLYYYYY???????

What a load of bizarre nonsense, keeping repeating this does not make it true. You must have had a really bad time on the outer regions of the HiFi industry. Belief in a materialistic reductionist reality is just a belief after all.

Bye

What a load of bizarre nonsense, keeping repeating this does not make it true. You must have had a really bad time on the outer regions of the HiFi industry. Belief in a materialistic reductionist reality is just a belief after all.

Bye

I'll fix that for ya "What bizarre nonsense to think for one second that the royal family are anything but reptiles from the planet zog with green blood and sent by Bill Gates to oversee 5G! my god man what sort of quack medical university did you train at to not even know that!?"

Bye

Just ordered 20m of gigawatt in wall mains and 16amp breaker, as already use jps for hifi radial look forward to comparing. Will report back.
Re John cleese, it been interesting watch the radical, broad minded, liberal young man become a narrow minded reactionary victor meldrew.

Thanks Ian; I'm not conversant with earthing rod criteria (except the TT/PME caveats) but I think I understand from your text the problem potentially arising from 2 separate earthing connections. Took me a couple of readings etc. though. What is MET an abbreviation for?

Main Earthing Terminal

Can you please tell me where you got the supposed quotes of mine from? I'm scratching my head, because I vaguely remember getting explanations (via a link?) to my questions relating to TT and PME earthing and you might well have been the chap who advised me. If so, it must have been a long time ago and I give you credit for superb forum post archaeology. :)

One of your many many posts upon the subject Mike

Unfused? I have 1 radial per piece of kit, fused by its own RCBO. Each cable is either 6 or 10mm2, which I admit, is unnecessarily o.t.t. but what the hell? Your potentially dangerous synopsis of adding to these circuits would not apply. For others with fewer radials which are then split into 'spurs', this could well be pertinent.

Mike just because you choose to disregard something doesn't make you correct. The regs are there to mitigate possible but likey and unlikely events that can cause damage to property and self, it has been explained why your install is potentially unsafe and doesn't meet the regulations.

I would very much like to see how your 100Amp connections have been made with 10mm t&e and 1.5mm flex , Please provide a picture for me.

You say you are a landlord, and have a light grasp of those regulations, I wonder would you allow one of your tenants to instal a selection of oversized cables through the property terminating them with unswitched and unfused captive kettle leads ? No of course not.

It's about as quick for me to access my c.u. as disconnect IECs; besides, the RCBOs would handle fault conditions, I'm led to believe, obviating the need to rush anywhere. ;) I've just thought that, in your latter (captive lead) scenario, would not disconnecting the fuses (simple half turn) have the same effect? Not sure about this, but seems feasible.

There are reasons means of isolation are put close too or alongside fixed appliances or equipment, try and guess why.

You have reached new heights of lunacy with the last two sentences.

Apologies Mike, I thought I had replied to this once !

Hi Bill,

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this when you're free:

Hi Bill,

I meant to get to this yesterday, but didn't have time...

So are you saying then that with 'TT systems', in an old property such as mine, it's feasible to be able to significantly reduce the impedance of the house earth, with the use of additional rods, such as I've done, and if that's the case, then why shouldn't it be audible?

Others and I certainly heard the difference, that's for sure! And not only with my installation, but in other systems where the same work was carried out in similar properties.. Therefore, just as the reduction in impedance wasn't 'imagined', but indeed measured on an appropriate testing device, I'd also contend that neither were the subsequent sonic improvements!;)

An interesting observation. Perhaps that's why I heard a notable improvement in SQ when I moved from using standard twin and earth in my mains set-up to this stuff instead: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...MI6OG75MfV8AIVToFQBh3y3AzNEAQYBiABEgLb9PD_BwE

Bloody nightmare trying to get it into sockets, though!:eek::D

But it definitely made the system sound better, especially in the areas you mention!

Based on my experience, I'd certainly say so. Conductive concrete, I used this stuff (if you have time to read through it, there is some very interesting info here on all aspects of earthing and how this material improves and streamlines the whole process): http://earthingservices.com/conducrete/) is very effective and for me the way to go, if want to go the job right and make it last a lifetime.

So if you do go ahead with your intended project, please document it here and post your findings, as it's this sort of stuff we need to see far more of on forums!:cool:

Marco.

Cheers!:cool:

Last edited:
Apologies Mike, I thought I had replied to this once !

As far as I'm concerned, Ian, Bill in his post 237 and later post nailed it for me, whereas vague 'potential dangers' from you don't satisfactorily inform me. Blackmetalballoon has concluded that he simply considers it 'bad practice'. Anyway, fed up with this toing and froing, along with your strange analogies and paucity of specific answers to my questions; besides, it's only of academic interest to me nowadays anyway. Seriously, how d'you think a t & e cable is connected to a mains cable in a 100A capacity connecting block inside a pattress? SCREWED ! Is there another way? End of topic for me.

As far as I'm concerned, Ian, Bill in his post 237 and later post nailed it for me, whereas vague 'potential dangers' from you don't satisfactorily inform me. Blackmetalballoon has concluded that he simply considers it 'bad practice'. Anyway, fed up with this toing and froing, along with your strange analogies and paucity of specific answers to my questions; besides, it's only of academic interest to me nowadays anyway. Seriously, how d'you think a t & e cable is connected to a mains cable in a 100A capacity connecting block inside a pattress? SCREWED ! Is there another way? End of topic for me.

Actually a crimp connection would offer a far better connection.

I'm happy providing you stop offering your incorrect rambling ideas as "The gospel according to Mike"

You are just wrong accept it.

Last edited:
https://clearimagescientific.com/case-studies/

This is a link to case studies of mains cables on scientific imaging instrumentation backed up by doctors opinions on the effects and thier abilities to see more imaging resolution....

And also some measurements showing noise reduction :)

Clear image scientific design engineer is Caelin Gabriel who's background is in US military research and he also designs shunyata cables for audio.

Jez please don't blow a fuse :rolleyes:

Why, if you're passionate about your views and what you think is right, then in my book you defend them to the death!
wink.gif

Why, if you're passionate about your views and what you think is right, then in my book you defend them to the death!
wink.gif
In my view the world is broadly divided into two groups - (a) those who have such an evangelical zeal regarding their beliefs that they will never stop proclaiming them or relax until everyone else agrees with them and (b) those who know what they think, aren’t about to change their minds, but really don’t give a toss if others disagree with them. I bet you can’t guess which one I’m part of.

Camp (b), same as me!

However... That doesn't mean I'm willing to sit back, like a meek little wallflower, and allow someone to run roughshod over what I passionately believe in, simply to keep the peace. if something *needs* saying, it needs saying (politely, but robustly)!

Although, I would add that I'm always willing to change my mind, *IF* someone can successfully demonstrate, thus convince me I'm wrong.

Oh, and in that respect, as a staunch subjectivist, a series of squggly graphs or meaningless (to me) measurements on a screen don't qualify as such. I form my opinions on audio SOLELY from real-life, ears-first experiences.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back