advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

Bahrain is not that representative a track so I will wait for a few races to see how it actually pans out and what Merc do to try and fix their problems and how quickly that happens.

I would not bet against Merc sorting this out fairly quickly, as they still have a lot of good people there, but I do not think that they will resolve this as well as they have resolved problems in the past due to the reasons I gave in post #196. And the fact that all dominant teams end up not being dominant at some point as it is extremely difficult to remain top dog for a very long time, as internal politics, external politics, egos and increasingly poor leadership and management disrupts the dominant team.

The race stream from F1.com is frustrating. There's a gap of about ten minutes between the end of the pre-race show, and when they switch over to the Sky program for the race. During that gap they run the world feed, but with no commentary. It's just video and garage noises, and it goes on long enough to make one worry every time that there's some technical problem with the broadcast.

This year they have improved the video resolution of the stream, it looks fantastic.

Not quite as close as the Mazda race at Sebring, but a bit more 'grown up' and therefore more gripping. More, please!

Mercedes' car doesn't seem to have the advantage it has previously enjoyed, but between superior strategy and Lewis being a true hero-driver when it counts, they pulled it off. That pre-emptive pit turned out to be decisive.

I had a dream last night that after an extremely poor first race Vettel leaves Aston Martin by 'mutual consent' with immediate effect. Is my nocturnal crystal ball going to be right? Probably not. But if it is I'm going to try and start dreaming about lottery tickets lol

I could not have gone much worse for him, the first part of your prediction was spot on. Lets see about the second !

As it's always been with Hammy.... Guy always seems to find a way to win. Only the first race but looking as though it could be a really interesting season!
That was some race and thankfully my prediction was wrong! RB still have a faster car but Lewis & Merc showed that they can still compete on strategy & the brilliance of Lewis to carry it out. Can’t work out why Max gave the place where he did and it rattled him for a few laps, just enough for Lewis to hang in there on older tyres.

Not sure what more he can do to prove to the doubters that he really is one the best F1 drivers there’s ever been.

This could end up being an epic battle between RB/Merc, Max/Lewis and I hope Mercedes can get their car with a tenth of the RB soon.

Wow, what a start to the season, lots to process but HAM keeps on delivering. VER and RB will be shaking their head how they managed to find a way to lose this, I am sure they will bounce back but we shall see.

Hats off to NOR as well, proper marked RIC's card and best of the rest, looks like McLaren really are the third fastest car but Ferrari not far behind. I am sure track variations will mix things up.

LEC did well and SAI close ish Ferrari looking much more racy this year.

PER did OK but I have not seen anything that sets him apart from ALB or GAS yet, they both raced well at RB. RB once again had no backup to protect against Merc tactics.

TSU was impressive, will be interesting how he compares with GAS when they both finish.

Lewis did an amazing job and showed why he has been the stand out driver for many years.

The grid has closed up with the leaders lapping up to RAI in 11th. And that was with 3 drivers in faster cars having retired from the race.

Did HAM deliberately place his car in that position and lift off ever-so slightly to force VER to go around him outside of track limits?? That was my first reaction to the overtake but TBH it all happened in the blink of an eye.

A master stroke from a 7-times WC or just simply luck and timing?

Finishing 5th after starting from the pit lane without tripping up over other cars along the way is already a big improvement on Albon!

Yeah, I was probably being unfair on PER, I forgot he came from the back. Let’s see how gets on before I judge him again ;-)

advertisement

Back