advertisement

Vaccine recipients....

If you have pre-existing immunity, your first dose would have the effect of being a booster, possibly. Your booster would then seem to pull up the viral drawbridge.
Yes, my understanding is that people who have had Covid show similar levels of immunity, after one jab, as other people have after their second.

Which is nice.

Had my AZ jab on Thursday morning, bit of a headache on Thursday evening and sore spot where the needle went in and that was that.

A/Z yesterday at 09:15 on the 'Peaky Blinders" set.
Never felt it, slight lump in arm at the injection site, but for now, precisely nowt else.

Reaction is also dependent on how robust your immune system is which is a function of age. The older you are the weaker your immune system is likely to be and the smaller the reaction.

Reaction is also dependent on how robust your immune system is which is a function of age. The older you are the weaker your immune system is likely to be and the smaller the reaction.
It's a pity the same isn't true for reactions to the virus itself.

Also I’m fairly certain there are more AZ jabs being given so there will be more reported side effects even if the propensity for side effects is the same as for Pfizer.

I spoke with a muslim today who has not yet been offered the jab but is worried about side effects. I told him I had my first jab with no side effects. He said he would wait to hear from me till after my second jab (due before end of April).

I tried to persuade him that even severe side effects for up to a week or more after jab are preferable to months or longer of agony, long covid or death (with which he agreed)- yet he was still non- committal. We seem to be facing a long uphill sturggle to get herd immunity.

Worry trumps rationality in this area, it seems.

Refusing to have a vaccine for non medical reasons isn’t new. Look at previous vaccines and their variable success rates.

This is even after a conversation with your gp, in some cases.

My mum wasn’t going to have it, until I showed her the consequences of a 76 yr old catching COVID. End of.

I spoke with a muslim today who has not yet been offered the jab but is worried about side effects. I told him I had my first jab with no side effects. He said he would wait to hear from me till after my second jab (due before end of April).

I tried to persuade him that even severe side effects for up to a week or more after jab are preferable to months or longer of agony, long covid or death (with which he agreed)- yet he was still non- committal. We seem to be facing a long uphill sturggle to get herd immunity.

Worry trumps rationality in this area, it seems.
Having received my invitation letter I was very keen to get my jab ASAP. The centres nearest to me were all booked up for the next 10 days so I went to my closest centre with next day availability. This happened to be in an area with a high BAME community...hence the availability I suppose. It is concerning that there’s so much mistrust.

I find it a disturbing demonstration of the human condition and of a maybe built in tribal "two minutes hate" just bursting to get out of a part of the population over the prospect of a few people not wanting the vaccine.... A new "them", "those people".... How quickly it can happen... First they came for the non vaccinated...

I find it a disturbing demonstration of the human condition and of a maybe built in tribal "two minutes hate" just bursting to get out of a part of the population over the prospect of a few people not wanting the vaccine.... A new "them", "those people".... How quickly it can happen... First they came for the non vaccinated...
I don’t see much hate..but is it a few people who who don’t want the vaccine? ISTM a lot of younger people are against it. If we don’t have a very high proportion of the world vaccinated then we’ll be stuck with Covid for evermore, this is the way vaccines work, eg what’s worked for smallpox, measles etc.

Refusing to have a vaccine for non medical reasons isn’t new. Look at previous vaccines and their variable success rates.

This is even after a conversation with your gp, in some cases.

My mum wasn’t going to have it, until I showed her the consequences of a 76 yr old catching COVID. End of.

Scare tactics work some of the time. I think it preferable to use rational persuation.

I reserve my ire for the people who create and propagate the disinformation and antivax propaganda. I think they are actually evil.

I reserve my ire for the people who create and propagate the disinformation and antivax propaganda. I think they are actually evil.

Some of these people are honest, genuine, and do think they are putting forth true and badly needed information.

What you regard as 'disinformation' is , to them,
important and socially necessary rectification of medically accepted disinformation.

Even if they turn out to be misguided and quite wrong, I see no reason to label them as 'evil'- so long as they are honest and genuine.

I’m talking about the people who create the disinformation, not the numpties who believe it and pass it on. You have to be evil to dream up that stuff and publish it, surely?

I don’t see much hate..but is it a few people who who don’t want the vaccine? ISTM a lot of younger people are against it. If we don’t have a very high proportion of the world vaccinated then we’ll be stuck with Covid for evermore, this is the way vaccines work, eg what’s worked for smallpox, measles etc.

Oh I've seen that there has been radio phone in's and all sorts, even people texting in on "The Last Leg" the other night, on the general matter of "should the non vaccinated be made pariahs, how far could/should this be taken? Should they be banned from shops, pubs, gigs, buses etc?".. It's definitely "a thing" ATM.

Is the vaccine not supposed to only work for 6 months ish? New vaccine resistant variants are more likely than not... Then what? If it can be eradicated like smallpox then wonderful but I suspect we are going to be stuck with it in the same manner as flu, with bad years for it, local outbreaks and the over 40's/50's/60's whatever getting a yearly jab against whatever is the worst variant that year as with flu. Will it become accepted in the same blase manner as flu? Or will we have to accept a "new normal" where eg local lockdowns can be called at any moment and booking a holiday or tickets to a gig or festival is only for the optimistic?

advertisement

Back