advertisement

Vaccine recipients....

I spoke with a muslim today who has not yet been offered the jab but is worried about side effects. I told him I had my first jab with no side effects. He said he would wait to hear from me till after my second jab (due before end of April).

I tried to persuade him that even severe side effects for up to a week or more after jab are preferable to months or longer of agony, long covid or death (with which he agreed)- yet he was still non- committal. We seem to be facing a long uphill sturggle to get herd immunity.

Worry trumps rationality in this area, it seems.
yes the BAME community are taking a lot of persuading , rates pretty low . today we watched many people attending vaccination centre . they were mainly white

I’m talking about the people who create the disinformation, not the numpties who believe it and pass it on. You have to be evil to dream up that stuff and publish it, surely?

I doubt anyone 'dreams it up'; it's a mixture of ignorance and conspiracy theory. At its roots are two valid questions; 1) can we trust the Government and 2) can we trust Big Pharma. I expect few on here would give an unqualified 'yes' to those questions.

Yes...boosters as with flu. The concern is that the more people without the jab..the more variants we’ll get, it becomes a vicious circle.

Reaction is also dependent on how robust your immune system is which is a function of age. The older you are the weaker your immune system is likely to be and the smaller the reaction.

Dunno about that, I'm 66 and was "laid low" for best part of two days.

I wouldn’t bank on it, I know three people who have been Pfizered at a local village hall.

My wife & I were Pfizered on Thursday (25th). Other than a tender upper arm for a day or so there's been no other side-effects for me. My wife had a tingly arm for a couple of hours and a couple of her glands swelled up but nothing else.

Different people react in different ways. I had a chat with my GP, whilst getting my flu jab. He made the nurse and me laugh when he said I was a 'sensitive soul' and bet that I'd have a bit of a reaction to either...

He was right, of course.

I spoke with a muslim today .....

We do know of debunked social media viral posts about the vaccine being made from pigs etc, and many are speculating about who would actually initiate the spreading this cr*p and what their motives are. However I think what we are seeing is this aversion is maybe more of a socio-political-cultural-heritage thing rather than a religious one. For example, the UAE (76% muslim) has the 4th highest vaccination rate. Also in Bangladesh (90% muslim), where the roll out is now going quite well for a developing nation, there was initially reticence about taking the vaccine "because it was made in India" (the two major political parties are roughly split along pro/anti India lines), until people started pointing out that that folk would have to give up much of their imported goods included their prized saris.....

So long as the vast majority have it then herd immunity makes it of zero importance.

Jez, (and said with a wry smile), you are very quick to denounce non-experts who make such bald statements about electronics. Can I politely point out you have done just that about epidemiology? ‘Zero importance’ is my equivalent of your response to directional cables...

Just sayin’

Pfizer yesterday. Injected arm was a bit tender (I couldn’t comfortably sleep on that side), but seems to be abating now, just a bit sore to the touch. No other effects.

Since getting jabbed I decided to research overall efficacy a bit more deeply. I’m sure I originally heard that a few weeks after the first jab “almost no-one” was hospitalised or dead from COVID - but all I could find now is that these outcomes are reduced in likelihood by around 75%. Obviously that’s a very significant improvement in one’s chances, but not quite the panacea we’d all wish for.

Obviously herd immunity plus this protection will make COVID mortality hugely lower, so let’s hope that’s achievable - on a world-wide scale.

advertisement

Back