advertisement

Vaccine recipients....

Dear Whaleblue,

Here is the ever factual John Campbell giving a report based on the the data coming out of Israel on efficacy rising in the initial forty or so days after vaccination with in this case Pfizer.

I think that the evidence is become re-assuring.

Best wishes from George

We do know of debunked social media viral posts about the vaccine being made from pigs etc, and many are speculating about who would actually initiate the spreading this cr*p and what their motives are. However I think what we are seeing is this aversion is maybe more of a socio-political-cultural-heritage thing rather than a religious one. For example, the UAE (76% muslim) has the 4th highest vaccination rate. Also in Bangladesh (90% muslim), where the roll out is now going quite well for a developing nation, there was initially reticence about taking the vaccine "because it was made in India" (the two major political parties are roughly split along pro/anti India lines), until people started pointing out that that folk would have to give up much of their imported goods included their prized saris.....

You are silent about the uptake of the jab by muslims- particularly those of Pakistani or Bengali origins)- in the U.K.

I made no generalisation about muslim uptake. My chat was with one (1) muslim person and not said to be representative of the view of any other person. Perhaps I should take you round to my local Bengali shop (where I am regular) where no member of staff wears a mask, and I would not even bother to enquire about vaccine hesitancy.

I am far more concerned with some lack of uptake of the jab in the NHS by front- line NHS staff. I understand that a not insignificant proportion- most, I assume, non- muslim- have refused the jab, including at least one consultant. This seems to me to be not only deplorable, an inexcusable possible avenue for increased transmission, but also a good ground for removal from NHS front- line work.

'No jab, no job" has begun to be instituted, I am pleased to say, by some care homes.

Doctors are required to have certain vaccinations in order to practice. Why should this not be a prerequisite for operation as a front- line NHS employee?

Dear Whaleblue,

Here is the ever factual John Campbell giving a report based on the the data coming out of Israel on efficacy rising in the initial forty or so days after vaccination with in this case Pfizer.

I think that the evidence is become re-assuring.

Best wishes from George

Thanks for this. Worth watching the whole 30 minutes!

You are silent about the uptake of the jab by muslims- particularly those of Pakistani or Bengali origins)- in the U.K.

I made no generalisation about muslim uptake. My chat was with one (1) muslim person and not said to be representative of the view of any other person. Perhaps I should take you round to my local Bengali shop (where I am regular) where no member of staff wears a mask, and I would not even bother to enquire about vaccine hesitancy.

I am far more concerned with some lack of uptake of the jab in the NHS by front- line NHS staff. I understand that a not insignificant proportion- most, I assume, non- muslim- have refused the jab, including at least one consultant. This seems to me to be not only deplorable, an inexcusable possible avenue for increased transmission, but also a good ground for removal from NHS front- line work.

'No jab, no job" has begun to be instituted, I am pleased to say, by some care homes.

Doctors are required to have certain vaccinations in order to practice. Why should this not be a prerequisite for operation as a front- line NHS employee?

Yes there is definitely is truth but you spoke to one person from (I guess) the South Asian community and immediately decided to describe them by their religion which is the point I am making. The point I am trying to draw is that it is a socio-cultural thing not a religious one because there are equivalent sentiments across other communities who are fed (and choose to believe) social media misinformation. To your point about front line NHS staff refusing to take the vaccine, my personal experience is that I come from a muslim commonwealth immigrant NHS family, and many, many in my friends and family network are medics. They are ALL, to a person, utterly pro-vaccination and some are very vocal about the delay in the 2nd Pfizer jab and ALL are trying hard to convince people from all backgrounds not to believe anti-vaxxer rubbish. Just to provide a bit of balance to all the negativity.

Yes there is definitely is truth but you spoke to one person from (I guess) the South Asian community and immediately decided to describe them by their religion which is the point I am making. The point I am trying to draw is that it is a socio-cultural thing not a religious one because there are equivalent sentiments across other communities who are fed (and choose to believe) social media misinformation. To your point about front line NHS staff refusing to take the vaccine, my personal experience is that I come from a muslim commonwealth immigrant NHS family, and many, many in my friends and family network are medics. They are ALL, to a person, utterly pro-vaccination and some are very vocal about the delay in the 2nd Pfizer jab and ALL are trying hard to convince people from all backgrounds not to believe anti-vaxxer rubbish. Just to provide a bit of balance to all the negativity.

Rana: your guess that the person I spoke to is from a 'South Asian Community' is incorrect. Neither this person nor his forebears are from the continent of Asia. I happen to know exactly where they are from. It is irrelevant.

You say I described them 'by their religion'. Not so. I identified them as muslim. They, themselves, self- identify as muslims. They would certainly be pleased to be described as 'muslim'.

I neither asserted, nor implied, that this identifier was anything other than a cultural categorisation- which they would accept. They would also happily accept a religious categorisation as 'muslim'- should anyone choose to make it.

I do not know, nor did I imply that I knew the religious or cultural orientation of NHS front- line vaccine refusers.

Your family etc. NHS religious or cultural orientation is, in my opinion, irrelevant to this discussion- though it well explains your stance.

What I referred to in my discussion is not a socio- cultural 'thing' (as you put it).

I do not think that the muslim person I spoke to has been influenced by anti- vax information, though I did not discuss this with them. It seems to me beyond doubt that their vaccine hesitancy is solely a matter of worry about personal side effects. I believe, though I could be wrong, that they are, in fact, pro vaccination. I think they may get vaccinated if, after my 2nd jab, I tell them that I had no or minimal side effects. They pointedly told me that they wait to hear from me.

I do not think that the muslim person I spoke to has been influenced by anti- vax information, though I did not discuss this with them. It seems to me beyond doubt that their vaccine hesitancy is solely a matter of worry about personal side effects. I believe, though I could be wrong, that they are, in fact, pro vaccination. I think they may get vaccinated if, after my 2nd jab, I tell them that I had no or minimal side effects. They pointedly told me that they wait to hear from me.

Okay, so you spoke to a person and they said they were hesitant. Apologies, but your post came over to me as generalising a religion.

Rana: your guess that the person I spoke to is from a 'South Asian Community' is incorrect. Neither this person nor his forebears are from the continent of Asia. I happen to know exactly where they are from. It is irrelevant.

You say I described them 'by their religion'. Not so. I identified them as muslim. They, themselves, self- identify as muslims. They would certainly be pleased to be described as 'muslim'.

I neither asserted, nor implied, that this identifier was anything other than a cultural categorisation- which they would accept. They would also happily accept a religious categorisation as 'muslim'- should anyone choose to make it.

I do not know, nor did I imply that I knew the religious or cultural orientation of NHS front- line vaccine refusers.

Your family etc. NHS religious or cultural orientation is, in my opinion, irrelevant to this discussion- though it well explains your stance.

What I referred to in my discussion is not a socio- cultural 'thing' (as you put it).

can you summarise please?

Firstly, the NHS online booking page now says you can book if you are 60 or over, so anyone fitting the criteria and still waiting to be contacted can just get on and book their own appointments.

I used that system, booked last Tuesday and had the jab on Saturday at 11 o'clock.
I had a 24 hour headache starting at about 18:00hrs and I went teeth chatteringly cold at 22:30. That lasted about 30 mins but I fell asleep regardless.
Feel fine this morning and my arm is only slightly tender if I press the injection site.
Very glad to have had it done and grateful to the small army of people at the Shrewsbury indoor bowling venue that made it so easy and at less than 25mins in total, a quick and painless experience. :)

Firstly, the NHS online booking page now says you can book if you are 60 or over, so anyone fitting the criteria and still waiting to be contacted can just get on and book their own appointments.

I used that system, booked last Tuesday and had the jab on Saturday at 11 o'clock.
I had a 24 hour headache starting at about 18:00hrs and I went teeth chatteringly cold at 22:30. That lasted about 30 mins but I fell asleep regardless.
Feel fine this morning and my arm is only slightly tender if I press the injection site.
Very glad to have had it done and grateful to the small army of people at the Shrewsbury indoor bowling venue that made it so easy and at less than 25mins in total, a quick and painless experience. :)

Great to see someone paying close attention to detail. Makes your contribution so worthwhile.

I think it would be of interest to learn which vaccine you received.

Getting all the usual flu symptoms after the Oxford jab yesterday. Interesting that there must be millions of people feeling the same way but it gets virtually no publicity (PF excepted). That’s a good thing re vaccine hesitancy I suppose.

Getting all the usual flu symptoms after the Oxford jab yesterday. Interesting that there must be millions of people feeling the same way but it gets virtually no publicity (PF excepted). That’s a good thing re vaccine hesitancy I suppose.

I had the same jab on Saturday and have had no symptoms since. A friend, who’s had COVID, had his the week before and had a sore arm for several days. I’ve no idea how common having a reaction to the shot is, and there only seems to be anecdotal evidence.

Mate of mine pointed me to the NHS website. Rather than wait for my GP Surgery to get down to me, I was able to book a jab directly. OK I have to shlep over to Bromsgrove, not the local town - but still only 20 minutes away. Thursday tea time is stabbing time for. I hate injections - but will go and do it.

Since over 60s can book online now I have sent the links to another mate and my sister in Dorset too.

The mutation from Brasil has arrived (delivered by Amazon?). As soon as things are looking up, another concern arises. Maybe a red pirana (or herring) but one of the 6 people is unaccounted for.

Unfortunately around Manaus on the Amazon where the outbreak was so serious, pain-killing analgesic pills are not available as the paracetamol.

advertisement

Back