advertisement

Whisky

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh guess what! Mr UPS decided to deliver tonight and not tomorrow like I expected

20210217_195733 by uh_simon, on Flickr

Cask strength, but not as much alcohol burn as I was expecting. On the nose, delicate caramel, perhaps some chocolate and a hint of vanilla. On the palate, not alot of sugar. Fruit, raisins, bitter orange, some caramel. At the end some brighter fruit (perhaps plums) - maybe some dark chocolate.

Not as sweet as I expected.

More sophisticated than I would expect for a single grain.

the finish on the palate after a while is definitely woody

I think good value for 50ml of a 36 year whisky. It is a good drink, not a wow drink though. I am happy to have paid £65.

now it has stood and opened out a bit, and a delicate honey flavour is emerging

Well, its been a pretty shitty day, do I go rough and ready - JD pull the top out with my teeth and spit it into the fireplace and do my best to put a bug dent in the bottle or savour a large Corry or two.

Well, its been a pretty shitty day, do I go rough and ready - JD pull the top out with my teeth and spit it into the fireplace and do my best to put a bug dent in the bottle or savour a large Corry or two.

Posted 20 minutes ago, so I'm guessing you've already finished option 1 and now starting into option 2.. ;)

It'll be a better day tomorrow (as many of us are saying every day... :rolleyes:)

Enjoying swigging Black Bottle here...

Hmmm...worth a try? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008HP9F7Y/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I decided to try the Suntory Toki for what I think it's really designed for last night, which is for use in highballs. Lots of ice in a tall glass, double measure of whisky, touch of lime juice (that's a personal preference) top up with sparkling water. Lovely.

Although I can’t see it on their website, I noted Asda had the Aberfeldy 12yo at £18 - effectively half price. I bought at £22 before Xmas and, despite it being well written up in IWSC, I thought it was only OK but at the clearance price you might think it worth a punt.

Although I can’t see it on their website, I noted Asda had the Aberfeldy 12yo at £18 - effectively half price. I bought at £22 before Xmas and, despite it being well written up in IWSC, I thought it was only OK but at the clearance price you might think it worth a punt.

I've got a bottle as well and while I would also put it into the "OK but not great" area it's certainly a bargain at £18.

Finished up last night with a very small measure of Port Charlotte MRC01. The glass this morning smelt deliciously of rich chocolate. I’ll see if I get that on the nose, next time.

I went to the cupboard and 2 x Bunnahabhain, JD, Perderyn, were pushed aside for Ardmore. Again. Dunno why. I just like it. Just one shot as being sensible. Bunna tonight I think, Friday is the night off the diet, I can do what I like. Drink the bottle if I want to. Suggest not. Steak and chips will be good though.

I decided to have a whisky highball again last night (as the Suntory Toki one the previous night was very pleasant) but decided to use JW double black this time. It was still nice but I think highballs are more suited to lighter flavoured whiskies like the Toki (or of a bourbon). Old fashioneds on the other hand lend themselves to whiskies with a bit more to them.

I was in the big Asda at Donny earlier and the Teeling is £25 - not the £18 we saw upthread, alas.
A pal dropped off a bottle of Waitrose blended today and it’s very good. I tried (for the first time) an Old Fashioned and, although I enjoy the flavour of Angostura bitters, I think I prefer a whisky and soda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back