advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fine then. So we only have to put up with being poor for 10 years and then we might have got back to where we were? Great. I've always wanted to experience 10 years of self inflicted poverty.

Clearly, the period of 2009-2019 was such jolly fun, we can enjoy it all over again. Only this time we can have the additional joys of Covid, Brexit and Scotland wanting out...

Are you OK Brian? It's not like you to give hugely damaging Tory stupidity the benefit of the doubt.
I’m fine, but are you? What’s this benefit of the doubt nonsense? Don’t you recognise honesty?

I don’t have to be a tory, I don’t have to forgive them for a stupid idea to acknowledge when someone is talking more sense than the few dozen hard remainers here. I want the UK to succeed but it will take time after decades of membership of the EU. In the meantime, I’m not about to join the stupid by demanding there be no problems and that everything should be immediately and very obviously so much better otherwise screeching out that brexit is a failure.

Specifically on Raab. Anyone sensible can see there is a much greater chance of Raab being correct on this than some hard remainer who has been banging on about brexit being a failure since the day after we left. Crying wolf every day and any genuine point made just gets lost in the chaff. Bottom line is, hard remainers are extremists, having failed in their crusade to overturn democracy they are now hoping for UK failure. All very sad.

Anyone sensible can also see that if we'd stayed in the SM/CU we wouldn't be in this mess that is causing immense stress and worry to so many businesses. It would have been more of a reflection of the close result too. But no, the Tories behave as if there was an overwhelming majority to leave. It's the actions of the Tories that are doing so much damage to the UK, not people moaning on a music & hi-fi forum.

Bottom line is the Tories in charge of Brexit are extremists. The same lot who were steering the UK into a hard Brexit (the so-called ERG) have now morphed into the COVID Recovery Group anti-lockdown/anti-science morons. I think you need to be far more concerned about them than your 'hard remainers'.

Anyone sensible can also see that if we'd stayed in the SM/CU we wouldn't be in this mess that is causing immense stress and worry to so many businesses. It would have been more of a reflection of the close result too. But no, the Tories behave as if there was an overwhelming majority to leave. It's the actions of the Tories that are doing so much damage to the UK, not people moaning on a music & hi-fi forum.

Bottom line is the Tories in charge of Brexit are extremists. The same lot who were steering the UK into a hard Brexit (the so-called ERG) have now morphed into the COVID Recovery Group anti-lockdown/anti-science morons. I think you need to be far more concerned about them than your 'hard remainers'.
We’ve done this many times before. I know your pov, you know mine. There was a chance in 2019 to vote for something else but people didn’t take it. If you want to know some of the reasons why people didn’t take it a shedload have been posted here by ... you guessed it... hard remainers.

I will add one thing. I agree the damage is being done by the tories, I’ve always said so despite the general abuse in response from people. After saying that, the 4 1/2 years of stagnation caused in no small part by hard remainers in positions of power trying to overturn democracy has not helped the preparations for brexit.

I have an email almost ready to go to my local tory MP regarding the dangerous loons in the CRG.

Raab should have said that the Sunny Uplands will be delivered next week.

He'd still get mauled on the Brexit thread just the same.

But he might have cheered somebody up somewhere else.

He gives Brexit just that. The vote to leave the EU was a perfect example of Tory stupidity.
Err, the vote to leave was a decision made by 17m+ voters.
Maybe they lacked forethought; maybe they didn't research the Northern Ireland border dilemma sufficiently; maybe they had a bad hair day.

Doesn't matter. They made the decision in sufficient numbers, and there was no do-over option.

Maybe they lacked forethought; maybe they didn't research the Northern Ireland border dilemma sufficiently; maybe they had a bad hair day.

Doesn't matter. They made the decision in sufficient numbers, and there was no do-over option.
The decision to offer the vote was a tory one, to try and stop their party fracturing - think that is what was meant.

The decision to offer the vote was a tory one, to try and stop their party fracturing - think that is what was meant.

Such a shame the tories are in govt. I can vaguely understand the 2010 GE given the propaganda after 2008, but there is no excuse for enabling the tories in 2015 and later.

Not to mention the 'get brexit done' confirmation election.

What's the betting that Raab goes into full-on-angry-psycho-mode if he doesn't get his tea in the fancy mug that matches the fancy wallpaper?

Very much the Brexiteer mindset. Will happily destroy the country. Gets upset if served tea in plain mug that doesn't match the wallpaper.

Probably.

EuSoeUfXIAImfyv

...where the brexit parties did not command a majority of votes cast.
Plaid did not command a majority of the votes cast in the 2019 GE at any of the few seats it won, but FPTP is what it is.

Here is what happened at the 2019 GE, when the electorate knew there was an alternative offer of a second referendum on EU membership, and even an offer of overturning a democratic vote completely.
...The election resulted in the Conservative Party receiving a landslide majority of 80 seats.[n 5] The Conservatives made a net gain of 48 seats and won 43.6% of the popular vote – the highest percentage by any party since 1979.[5] Many Conservative gains were made in long-held Labour Leave-voting seats dubbed the 'red wall'. Many of these seats had not had a Conservative MP in decades, if ever, but registered a strong 'Leave' vote in the 2016 referendum...
Source : en.m.wiki.org

This is what happened at the 2015 GE, despite a referendum on the EU being in the tory manifesto. You may not be aware but Labour seats in Scotland dropped from 41 to 1, thus making a UK tory majority govt likely and a referendum on EU membership a certainty. I know some don’t like this but it’s a fact regardless.
The Scottish National Party, enjoying a surge in support after the 2014 Scottish independence referendum, recorded a number of swings of over 30% from Labour, as it won 56 of the 59 Scottish seats to become the third-largest party in the Commons.
Source : en.m.wiki.org

Have you not yet worked out our voting system?
Because our voting system is not particularly democratic, you can't argue its outcomes are democracy. If you argue that the referendum vote was the will of the people, you can't ignore the popular vote numbers in a general election. Well, you can, because that's the way the system is rigged, but the popular vote is just as much an expression of the 'will of the people' as the referendum vote was.

On a different forum, I made the argument that the GE directly after the Brexit vote should have been a single issue election : all about confirmation on the Brexit issue.

Basically, few agreed with me, citing all sorts of other "pressing" issues at the time.

There's the rub. People (of all sides) put their own narrow political interests first. The Brexit vote was supposed to be cross party, and it was retuned into a political statement of intent for the right. Politicians ... it's always about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back