advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s the doorstep proselytiser- same technique. “Here’s a booklet proving the earth is only 6,000 years old, I’d like to come back when you’ve read it to discuss ‘what’s really going on’ and drop off more booklets for you to read”. It’s all a bit weird and a bit creepy.

I used to have fun with them as a they had no idea how to deal with a white Muslim
My Mum has a great technique with the leaflet distributors. "Oh, thank you. My husband and I are devout Catholics. We'll pray for you".
I did nearly as well a few years back. It was when I was injured and not working, the JWs came round one morning and I was bored. 3 women, one of them was quite cute. There they were with the leaflets showing the dinosaurs and mammals running round the same earth. Had I ever thought about where we all came from? Well yes actually, in fact I have studied it at some length. I have life science qualifications and a biochemistry degree, and I've studied the evolutionary model in some detail. Did you know that you can actually trace individual DNA sequences through the millions of years of evolution, and using isotopic analysis, typically carbon dating, you can date the origin of particular genes? It allows us to know at what point particular animal classes came along in the evolutionary timeline. It's fascinating...
The younger one was prepared to hang around and hear the science, but the 2 others were made of sterner stuff and led her off by the sleeve lest she be corrupted. A shame, I would have had her in for a cup of tea.

Try this school of thought then :
- there are no universal Brexit positives
- particularly not, when you factor in how Brexit was prepared for and implemented
- and yet, a large chunk of the public were sold a dream by a relatively corrupt bunch of political idiots

...and you know what might be the saddest part? As things get harder (and they will post covid), that same chunk of the public will fall for the same future dreams being sold.

Does it make you happier knowing you are right?

My Mum has a great technique with the leaflet distributors. "Oh, thank you. My husband and I are devout Catholics. We'll pray for you".
I did nearly as well a few years back. It was when I was injured and not working, the JWs came round one morning and I was bored. 3 women, one of them was quite cute. There they were with the leaflets showing the dinosaurs and mammals running round the same earth. Had I ever thought about where we all came from? Well yes actually, in fact I have studied it at some length. I have life science qualifications and a biochemistry degree, and I've studied the evolutionary model in some detail. Did you know that you can actually trace individual DNA sequences through the millions of years of evolution, and using isotopic analysis, typically carbon dating, you can date the origin of particular genes? It allows us to know at what point particular animal classes came along in the evolutionary timeline. It's fascinating...
The younger one was prepared to hang around and hear the science, but the 2 others were made of sterner stuff and led her off by the sleeve lest she be corrupted. A shame, I would have had her in for a cup of tea.

I find that a bit hard to believe Steve - I mean c'mon.. a cute door-stepping JW.. ??

I find that a bit hard to believe Steve - I mean c'mon.. a cute door-stepping JW.. ??
I know! I don't think I was hallucinating, I mean yeah OK there was the codeine now and again, and I was living on my own on benefits in a tough bit of Leeds, which is nobody's idea of a good time, so maybe my standards were not as high as you might expect, but yes. Her 2 minders were indeed ladies of a certain age who were not going to take any nonsense from any fool claiming to have seen the fossil record, but this one was younger. Maybe 30-35, dark hair, nice smile, shapely, not too fat or too thin. I reckon I could have converted her. Could have done a damn sight more too, given any kind of invitation, but as I say her minders were having none of the fraternising with the locals nonsense.

Someone told me years ago, “tell them you’re Catholic”. It didn’t work because the supervisor whipped out a targeted brochure to handle that objection! A week later I saw them coming up the drive and I legged it’s to the back of the house.

Someone told me years ago, “tell them you’re Catholic”. It didn’t work because the supervisor whipped out a targeted brochure to handle that objection! A week later I saw them coming up the drive and I legged it’s to the back of the house.
I think the killer blow my mother applies is "We'll pray for you" to indicate it is the poor deluded JWs who need to be saved by the power of prayer.

Hello
Is this the match made in heaven thread?
I'm quite happy not to believe in hell if I can join your gang of lovely ladies.

Try this school of thought then :
- there are no universal Brexit positives
- particularly not, when you factor in how Brexit was prepared for and implemented
- and yet, a large chunk of the public were sold a dream by a relatively corrupt bunch of political idiots

...and you know what might be the saddest part? As things get harder (and they will post covid), that same chunk of the public will fall for the same future dreams being sold.

Does it make you happier knowing you are right?
Yes, but not enough.

Ex Ukip...thrown out? Thrown out for being too fascist and joined the tories? Thrown out for being too fascist but not fascist enough for the tories, so in a state of purgatory?
Sorry, I can't bring myself to look, but I'm guessing you hang on to his every word so will know his status, and will obligingly tell me.
Incidentally, I'm getting a stronger and stronger impression that you are some sort of bot working to an algorithm where you ignore mostly the posts you answer and just use replying as a way of posting your junk (I'm intending the words "your junk" in the American slang meaning).
Perhaps you would like to alleviate suspicion - I know I'm not the only one on the forum who thinks this - by telling us about your audio rig, your taste in music and what recordings you particularly prize, and why. Don't worry about going off-topic - I think no one is averse to a little entertainment, and it could be your algorithm may endow you impressively enough for us all to enjoy a few nudges and look at the size of that moments. Or chortles as it gets it massively wrong.
Perhaps he wasn’t sufficiently nationalist?

Hey Barren, disable your UKIP algorithm and watch this.

Edit...BTW still waiting for details of your system, favourite music and prized recordings, as mentioned upthread.
I assume you have all of the above or what would you be doing on an audio forum?
Why are you interested in the audio system and musical preferences of certain people? I can’t see the relevance to a thread about positives of brexit, of which there has been yet another reminder upthread that the topic is positives of brexit.

No tory govt = no brexit. Close GE result round your way. Maybe with an upgraded algorithm you’ll get it right next time.

I reckon I could have converted her. Could have done a damn sight more too, given any kind of invitation, but as I say her minders were having none of the fraternising with the locals nonsense.

As they might say in rugger circles, sounded worth an outside shot at conversion attempt at the very least :)

(Btw - you weren't just 'a local', you were/are one of the great sinful unwashed - and worse, one who clearly fell hook line and sinker for that fake-evidence that the devil and his handymen has laid for the unbelievers. Not surprised the good and wise sisters didn't let you anywhere near her with your proverbial bargepole..)

When Starmer stepped in line behind the Tories and voted for Johnson’s Brexit deal he said.

“We will hold you to account for it. Every second you are in power. For the promises you have made. And the promises you break,”

Nice to see he’s kept his promise in this in the same way that he has his with his others.

Stephen

Last edited:
No we've managed to get rid of Claire Fox from Radio 4's The Moral maze because of Brexit, could someone now organise another disastrous constitutional change that could do the same with Melanie Phillips?

Stephen

When Starmer stepped in line behind the Tories and voted for Johnson’s Brexit deal he said.

“We will hold you to account for it. Every second you are in power. For the promises you have made. And the promises you break,”

Nice to see he’s kept his promise in this in the same way that he has his with his others.

Stephen
Got anything specific in mind 6 weeks into 2021?

Don’t worry, folks. Domimik Raab says problems with trade are the EU’s fault and we should take a 10 year view.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...t-troubles-urging-people-to-take-10-year-view
Not often I would say this about any tory but he may well be right and they were elected versus better options despite people being told.

In any event, what he said is a lot more realistic than the couple of weeks and “look how bad brexit has turned out to be” message from the hard remainers.

Not often I would say this about any tory but he may well be right and they were elected versus better options despite people being told.

In any event, what he said is a lot more realistic than the couple of weeks and “look how bad brexit has turned out to be” message from the hard remainers.

Are you OK Brian? It's not like you to give hugely damaging Tory stupidity the benefit of the doubt.

Are you OK Brian? It's not like you to give hugely damaging Tory stupidity the benefit of the doubt.

He gives Brexit just that. The vote to leave the EU was a perfect example of Tory stupidity.

And not to notice the immense damage done in six weeks. Well, I find that pretty astonishing. Maybe he really doesn’t read the news or know anyone affected.

Starmer also appears ignorant of the businesses going under, the tensions in NI, the damage to services and finance. Not to mention fishing.

Hard to believe.

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back