advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was left underwhelmed by Lupin.

Stylish production, great acting, great scenery, but it wasn't sure if it wanted to be a comedy or to be taken more seriously and ended up falling into a no-man's land in the middle.

A bit too lightweight for me.
i quite liked it for what it was, pretty mainstream who/how/dunnit fun, easy to watch despite sub titles. I'll normally run a mile from this type of TV. I don't think it really aspires to be taken too seriously but it certainly has succeeded in securing a global audience.

Following the recommendations here, I checked out My Octopus Teacher and was blown way. Then weeks later watched it with the Misses and again last night with our son. Out of all the TV series, films, docu’s, shorts, etc MOT is the best thing I experienced in 2019.
Would appreciate what others found outstanding from last year.
Cheers.

"The Dig", on Netflix. The story of the fantastic finds at Sutton Hoo in Suffolk before the second world war. Apart from an unnecessary fictional romance, it was brilliantly done. Ralph Fiennes as the amateur archaeologist Basil Brown is quite excellent and has the distinctive Suffolk accent off to a tee.

"The Dig", on Netflix. The story of the fantastic finds at Sutton Hoo in Suffolk before the second world war. Apart from an unnecessary fictional romance, it was brilliantly done. Ralph Fiennes as the amateur archaeologist Basil Brown is quite excellent and has the distinctive Suffolk accent off to a tee.
I think we shall watch that tonight.

We shall watch it tonight. We had it pencilled in for last night but were lured by the live concert by the BPO, which turned out to be complete dross, IMV/H(?). I suspect the fictional romance will annoy me, but we make numerous visits to Sutton Hoo and it will be good to see whether the film is as good as the copy of the 'mask' that is on display at SH.

We loved White Tiger, so thanks to those who recommended that.

Watched Babyteeth on Netflix last night - wasn't sure at first, but ended up really liking it, great cinematography, cast and soundtrack.

My wife stumbled onto it last night and it's excellent..

It's the sort of thing the traditional movie 'system' wouldn't make. Well done Netflix again.

We also watched the dig last night and yes good family viewing. My only criticism was they could have cut at the end to the actual display of artefacts as it would have capped it off nicely. Thoroughly recommended though.

We also watched the dig last night and yes good family viewing. My only criticism was they could have cut at the end to the actual display of artefacts as it would have capped it off nicely. Thoroughly recommended though.

My thoughts exactly - It disappointed me not to have seen actual footage at the end of the film of the cleaned up artefacts. A very enjoyable film nonetheless though

I can't remember who recommended the French series 'The Disappearance' (on iPlayer) but I thoroughly enjoyed it, as did my Mum :)

We were going to but made the mistake of watching the trailer first which is the mother of all spoilers and best avoided.

We accidentally came across a Spanish sort-of science-fiction film called Mirage on Netflix - intriguing and rather well done, we thought.

I'm guessing I'm somewhat behind the curve than most but I started watching 24 a few weeks ago and whilst a bit far-fetched I'm finding it rather addictive.
Currently a few episodes into season 4.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back