advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the Florida project, thought it was a bit pish to be honest, Willem DeFoe is good though, I didn't realise really what the film was about before watching it or I'd never have watched it.

Pan's Labyrinth is excellent though.

Not seen any of the other films.
Haven't watched Florida Project yet.I have to be in the right mood to watch these slice-of-rough-life dramas, and they have to be good.

Did watch CAM, which is sort of that sort of thing, but I was really hoping for more insight into the methods of stealing someone's video channel. Got none of that, it was basically left as magic or maybe just someone was paid off, or maybe a part of her soul split off and it 'symbolically' stole her channel, who knows. I wasn't impressed by the film at all, actually. Two stars, with the second one for the look at performer/audience symbiosis in action.

Went through that 'critics choice' list on Rotten Tomatoes: the '100 best films now available on Netflix. Found about 5 on it that I haven't seen recently and am interested in. Saw Pan's Labyrinth years ago, but only once and have forgotten it enough to be interested again....

Here's my selections:

29. The Florida Project: Set in the shadow of the most magical place on Earth, 6-year-old Moonee and her two best friends forge their own adventures, while Moonee's struggling mom and a kindhearted motel manager protect the kids from the harsh reality that surrounds them.
38. I Lost My Body: In a Parisian laboratory, a severed hand escapes its unhappy fate and sets out to reconnect with its body in... (animated)
45. Pan's Labyrinth: In 1944 Spain young Ofelia (Ivana Baquero) and her ailing mother (Ariadna Gil) arrive at the post of her mother's new husband (Sergi López), a sadistic army officer who is trying to quell a guerrilla uprising. While exploring an ancient maze, Ofelia encounters the faun Pan, who tells her that she is a legendary lost princess and must complete three dangerous tasks in order to claim immortality.
54. Outside In: An ex-convict tries to readjust to life in his small town and forms an intense relationship with his former high school teacher.
76. CAM: A camgirl has her principles, until a mysterious woman who looks just like her takes over her channel.

Watched 'I Lost My Body' last night. engaging animated drama, though title character, the magic disembodied hand, wasn't the lead 'character' at all, the lead was the guy of whom the hand was a part. Ending was one of those unsatisfying no-closure we're stopping now things, but I still enjoyed watching it, and gradually getting insight into the very angsty boy. Three stars.

Withnail and I

Available on Film4 catchup

Every line priceless, incredible performances from all the cast

Is this one of those films that divides opinion? I've never seen it, but lots of people rave about it. The trailers didn't do anything for me, so I haven't bothered. Maybe the trailers don't do it justice?

Is this one of those films that divides opinion? I've never seen it, but lots of people rave about it. The trailers didn't do anything for me, so I haven't bothered. Maybe the trailers don't do it justice?

My better half won't entertain it, but then I wouldn't watch many of the films she enjoys. I guess the only way you will know if it's for you is to watch it.

Watched Dredd on Netflix cracking film with Urban and Hedley ( not Stallone ). Such a simple plot really well executed (pun intended). Hope they eventually do make a series.

Watched Dredd on Netflix cracking film with Urban and Hedley ( not Stallone ). Such a simple plot really well executed (pun intended). Hope they eventually do make a series.

I was worried it would be a naff, but I think I should give it go.

Watched it last night too, seen it a few times, there was rumours of a follow up but looks doubtful especially after COVID, can always hope - sure beats the Sly Stallone one into the dirt. Used to get 2000AD every week, it came out when I was 12.

Quite enjoying the BBC series The Serpent, despite knowing the outcome due to it being the true story. The rendition of diplomats and their life style in the 1970, is recognizable even when i was working around them in the 1990s. Particularly in Bangkok

Quite enjoying the BBC series The Serpent, despite knowing the outcome due to it being the true story. The rendition of diplomats and their life style in the 1970, is recognizable even when i was working around them in the 1990s. Particularly in Bangkok

I was literally just going to post a recommendation for this series, so far finding it very enjoyable and now watching the rest via iPlayer so can see the whole series back to back over a week. Really well produced with some great performances, well worth a watch

I was literally just going to post a recommendation for this series, so far finding it very enjoyable and now watching the rest via iPlayer so can see the whole series back to back over a week. Really well produced with some great performances, well worth a watch

I binge watched the entire serious yesterday, really enjoyed it but it was way too long or too many episodes, still good though, a wee bit five go to Berkshire sort of stuff though and that back and forward timeline thing was pretty bloody annoying.

I've just watched episode 2, and am wondering how they're going to pad this out over another 6 episodes. I don't find Mr Serial Killer very convincing, and can't believe that Mrs Serial Killer would have gone home to Canada, and then flown back to be with this twerp again.

I got through all 6 seasons of The Americans over Xmas, very impressed with it.

I've just watched episode 2, and am wondering how they're going to pad this out over another 6 episodes. I don't find Mr Serial Killer very convincing, and can't believe that Mrs Serial Killer would have gone home to Canada, and then flown back to be with this twerp again.

I got through all 6 seasons of The Americans over Xmas, very impressed with it.
It’s based on a true person so he was ultimately pretty convincing;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back