advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shame he didn't feel the same way about A50, they wanted that for the same reasons.
A different political situation at the time (accepting the principle of the referendum result vs accepting the actual shitty deal now) but, in essence, I agree.

Regardless, the full text of Corbyn's statement (added to my earlier post) is excellent and is exactly what the opposition ought to be saying.

A different political situation at the time (accepting the principle of the referendum result vs accepting the actual shitty deal now) but, in essence, I agree.

Regardless, the full text of Corbyn's statement (added to my earlier post) is excellent and is exactly what the opposition ought to be saying.
It didn’t work for him though;)

Well the Labour party has supported a hard brexit with only 36 abstaining making them hard to support at the moment particularly given their reasoning. Perhaps they will start talking more sense in the future as conditions in the UK worsen. Then again perhaps we will get more of the same. I had more hope that there would be a labour-lead reaction against our current trajectory a few weeks ago when I had less information to work with. Not much hope but more than at present.

The next few months are obviously going to be a bit grim and so taking a break from reading and thinking about our political situation may be the healthy choice.

It's not the issue itself but the symbolism and how it feeds the toxic narrative that "all politicians are the same". If the Lib-Dems and Greens have anything about them they will capitalise on Starmer's "betrayal of young voters" and make gains at Labour's expense. I agree that this becomes less of an issue if/when Starmer ****s up on the other issues you mention.
Yes that’s true, although I think the message that all politicians are the same and that’s how we like it thank you was communicated very well simply by choosing Starmer as leader in the first place.

I honestly think there’s only one constituency that really invested heavily in Starmer and it happens to be the same one that went all in on Remain. Have to admit I’m taking some satisfaction in watching their fantasy politician collide with reality.

I don't think I was particularly "heavily invested in Starmer", as I saw him as the best of a not very good selection, but I was certainly hoping he would be an improvement on Magic Grandpa. So, yes, his performance in the last few months has been disappointing.

I don't think I was particularly "heavily invested in Starmer", as I saw him as the best of a not very good selection, but I was certainly hoping he would be an improvement on Magic Grandpa. So, yes, his performance in the last few months has been disappointing.
That’s probably fairly typical of the mode of political investment of the constituency in question, right down to the lingering preoccupation with Corbyn. Low expectations failing to be met: the centrist lot for the foreseeable I’m afraid.

That’s probably fairly typical of the mode of political investment of the constituency in question, right down to the lingering preoccupation with Corbyn. Low expectations failing to be met: the centrist lot for the foreseeable I’m afraid.
Something centrists can share with leftists, then.

Starmer always seems to play everything too safe and I feel he needs to up his game and be more critical of Boris who has done a poor job so he has plenty of ammunition

Balm for the centrist soul! It’s one reason your lot will still be cracking wise about Magic Grandpa in 10 years time.
I don't think so. Drood is the one who brought him back to this thread to stir the pot a bit and why not? It was a good statement.

I'll bet you a bottle of good stuff (if we're still around then) that there will be fewer references to Corbyn from centrists in 10 years' time than cracks about Blair from the leftists today. And Blair left office 13 years ago.

Yes!

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1344280898112544771

Well trolled sir.

Edited to add Corbyn's full statement (on Facebook):

Now that's what I call forensic opposition.

It is funny how Labour “leaders” seem able to express an articulate opinion from the back benches, but become duplicitous cowards and ideological vacuums once placed in any position of real responsibility or scruitiny. Both Corbyn and Starmer followed the exact same trajectory from initially credible to beyond useless. Likely another indication the party as a political institution is structurally dysfunctional. It isn’t even the politics of the past. It is just nothing. An irrelevant background noise.

Supporters of Brexit and Starmer do have a lot in common. They both have faith that things will get better despite the lack of any actual evidence that it’s even likely

It is funny how Labour “leaders” seem able to express an articulate opinion from the back benches, but become duplicitous cowards and ideological vacuums once placed in any position of real responsibility or scruitiny. Both Corbyn and Starmer followed the exact same trajectory from initially credible to beyond useless. Likely another indication the party as a political institution is structurally dysfunctional. It isn’t even the politics of the past. It is just nothing. An irrelevant background noise.
Corbyn was many things, but not an ideological vacuum

I don't think so. Drood is the one who brought him back to this thread to stir the pot a bit and why not? It was a good statement.

I'll bet you a bottle of good stuff (if we're still around then) that there will be fewer references to Corbyn from centrists in 10 years' time than cracks about Blair from the leftists today. And Blair left office 13 years ago.

Count those lost councillors and MSPs again. A bit like Michael Cain in Zulu ;)

Saves having to defeat the Tories to get some I suppose.
Hey, it’s your turn to have a go! I’m not going to stop you. But I’m also not going to deny myself a chuckle or two as people who’ve been spent the last 5 years lecturing the left about realism are forced to face a few unpleasant facts.

You’re on!

Reactions: PsB
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back