advertisement

In the Classifieds please leave the price for future sellers or buyers for reference

Though not when advertising an item for sale.

No mention of price - no sale.

It is also against forum rules .
I don’t think there is an actual rule in place on pfm about sales having to show prices or pics, unlike other places like the Wam and AVForum. It’s a good idea to do both to give your sale the best chance obviously. Maybe a Mod can confirm.

Though not when advertising an item for sale.

No mention of price - no sale.

It is also against forum rules .
I put a price on the for sale ad, if I agree a lower price with the ultimate buyer that is kept private. Not too hard a concept to grasp.

The term ‘private sale’ is quite well established & known.

I don’t think there is an actual rule in place on pfm about sales having to show prices or pics, unlike other places like the Wam and AVForum. It’s a good idea to do both to give your sale the best chance obviously. Maybe a Mod can confirm.
Correct. Any number of people here post "interest check" without a price, which generally means "overpriced" .

I post mine with an asking price, when it sells I just reply to myself to say "sold". Any history is left. It's not much of a price guide though. Other than real exotica, I'm not going to Inverness and few are. This lowers the price paid. Meanwhile put the thing in the SE, W Mids or M62 corridor and watch it fly.

I live in "W Mids" (well, Shropshire, actually - Welsh Marches, don't you know) and my wife's daughter lives in Inverness :)

All bases covered! Wahey!! :cool:

This is a community rather than just a marketplace.

It's definitely both, and equally, i.m.o., with Tony's record shop, photographic gear and audio and three (?) discussion sections; then there're both in 'Trade'. This topic has been brought up before, at least once. Yes, it is annoying to find an ad. of interest where the offer price is obscured, and I simply cannot see what advantage any seller would accrue from so doing, because it's unlikely to be the actual selling price anyway!

Putting 'sold' separately on the first advertising post is sensible and thoughtful, as Amber says, but the offer price is simply a guide, which can be useful to others in that market but of no consequence to the seller, as far as I can see, as the deed is done, so to speak.

Last edited:
Silly idea, price is between seller & buyer, no one else’s business.
It's smart to know the approx market value of an item you are looking for and looking through items that have been sold here is a big help. It's far from silly to have some idea what an item is worth. How else can you form a value judgment?

As has been said previously, whatever has been agreed between seller and buyer ought to remain between them and not for all to see. Any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it anyway as in any transaction, whether here on PFM or in the car or house markets. If anyone requires price guidance on an item there are places mentioned where a hint or so on pricing can be found.
A 'hint or so' ? Bizarre! when you buy a car you have a look around dont you? Look at prices, try to gauge the value of things on offer by comparing them to other offerings? How would you feel if things werent priced up on Autorader (for example) but you could, with some effort get a hint? Why do you think its possible to search finished auctions on Ebay? Its so you can see how commonly an item comes up and what it's value might be.

This is not a silly idea. You may have noticed that the internet is awash with scammers. Real serial numbers are often used by same to help give credence to their 'items' The complete serial number can be requested of the seller, if required.

You could make the same argument about posting photos.

Most buyers want cheaper price
Most sellers know their limit

I think hifishark is a good tool worldwide

I always replace the advert wording and photographs with ‘now sold’.

Saves anyone looking for a similar item wasting their time scrolling down the page and what it sold for is only the business of the seller and buyer IMO.

As said already, just use eBay’s completed listings if you want the best idea of what items are actually selling for.

Removing prices from listings is somewhat narcissistic.

You used the platform to sell an item, let others benefit in from the listing post sale, however they wish, be it research, knowledge or just plain old community based hobby interest.

It creates a portfolio of a product overtime, and creates a legacy of sorts.

It's smart to know the approx market value of an item you are looking for and looking through items that have been sold here is a big help. It's far from silly to have some idea what an item is worth. How else can you form a value judgment?
As has been pointed out earlier eBay & HiFi Shark exist for this.

As has been pointed out earlier eBay & HiFi Shark exist for this.
They don't exist for that. It's simply one aspect that's more transparent than hidden transactions between private parties. There's a perfectly good case for greater transparency in small like-minded online communities, but there will always been people who object or find ways to exploit the system solely for their own personal gain.

advertisement

Back