advertisement

In the Classifieds please leave the price for future sellers or buyers for reference

Hi,

Just a rant, however it would be helpful for future sellers or buyers to know what the price of a similar item was rather than seeing "Sold" where the price was.

I know a lot of sellers leave the price, however often it gets replaced by "Sold".

Would anyone else find it helpful knowing the price something had been on sale for when searching past for sale adverts?

Cheers

John

Hi,

Just a rant, however it would be helpful for future sellers or buyers to know what the price of a similar item was rather than seeing "Sold" where the price was.

I know a lot of sellers leave the price, however often it gets replaced by "Sold".

Anyone else would find it helpful knowing the price something had been on sale for when searching past for sale adverts?

Cheers

John
I'd have expected this to be less of an issue now as AFAIK since Tony migrated the server you're only allowed to edit your post for 24hrs, so unless an item is sold within that period I suspect the seller would need to ask Admin to remove the price? Also, the asking price is not necessarily the price the item sold for.

There is always HiFi Shark too, although it can't find hidden prices, so anything here on PFM will just have a blank price.

Hi,

Would anyone else find it helpful knowing the price something had been on sale for when searching past for sale adverts?

Cheers

John

I find the "sold" instead of the price useful as it identifies twats. Another thing like that is when a seller conceals the serial number(s).:rolleyes:

Can you edit the Title after 24 hours if not a paid up Trade Member, don’t think you can.

I put SOLD in the Title but leave the Advert as is, figure it saves people reading through until they get to the end and see Sold. I can see why you’d edit the post and replace the price with Sold in the 1st post no malice intended if you can’t change the Title. Saves people reading the whole thread.

The downside from a marketing point of view is that showing what it sold for, if you struck a deal or reduced price, or even if you have hit bad times and its a distress sale, can tend to send prices in a downward spiral as expectations are lowered on going for any future sales of the same or similar.

Well, an item is worth what someone will pay for it. If you lower the price, then the item was probably overpriced to begin with. And if you sell it at a firesale price for some reason, well, that's what someone paid for it. There are some ridiculous asking prices on the internet (moreso on e-bay than here) but the bottom line is the selling price.

It would be useful though. I accept that it is nobody else's business but some sort of guide would maybe help reduce overpriced items and help sellers achieve a realistic price. Everybody will have a different view according to their particular circumstances (i.e. buyer, seller, novice, expert).

Probably not the correct place but I have some equipment to sell and was advised that this was probably the best forum to head to. Unfortunately, I don't really want to wait 3 months before I can advertise or enter 50 posts on subjects I have no real expertise on. Is there an easier way to be able to enter a classified ?

I don't really want to wait 3 months before I can advertise or enter 50 posts on subjects I have no real expertise on. Is there an easier way to be able to enter a classified ?

Not unless you know a member and they'll post an ad' for you.
To be honest, if you spend 5-10 mintes here 2-3-4 times a day, you ought to find 50 posts easy to accumulate. PFMers aren't fussy about what nonsense gets served up for us :). Some of the "Off Topic", and cable threads illustrate that only too well.

I will come back to guide-pricing though - HiFi Shark is a far better indictor than here, simply because it covers all UK private ad's, EPay and quite a few trade websites too.

Silly idea, price is between seller & buyer, no one else’s business.

Whilst I'll agree it's no one else's business between buyer and seller, I don't think anyone posts what they paid or received but merely the forsale price and it is useful for prospective buyer to see what the market value for a component is, much in the same way as looking on the sold listings on EBay or Hifi shark, no one wants to pay over the odds.

Whilst I'll agree it's no one else's business between buyer and seller, I don't think anyone posts what they paid or received but merely the forsale price and it is useful for prospective buyer to see what the market value for a component is, much in the same way as looking on the sold listings on EBay or Hifi shark, no one wants to pay over the odds.
It is not for me to dictate what other sellers charge, prices can fluctuate & it should be solely between buyer & seller. As you’ve pointed out eBay & hifi shark already provide this ‘service’. I am happy that this is a more private marketplace.

It would be useful though. I accept that it is nobody else's business but some sort of guide would maybe help reduce overpriced items and help sellers achieve a realistic price. Everybody will have a different view according to their particular circumstances (i.e. buyer, seller, novice, expert).

Probably not the correct place but I have some equipment to sell and was advised that this was probably the best forum to head to. Unfortunately, I don't really want to wait 3 months before I can advertise or enter 50 posts on subjects I have no real expertise on. Is there an easier way to be able to enter a classified ?
This is a community rather than just a marketplace.

As has been said previously, whatever has been agreed between seller and buyer ought to remain between them and not for all to see. Any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it anyway as in any transaction, whether here on PFM or in the car or house markets. If anyone requires price guidance on an item there are places mentioned where a hint or so on pricing can be found.

It is not for me to dictate what other sellers charge, prices can fluctuate & it should be solely between buyer & seller. As you’ve pointed out eBay & hifi shark already provide this ‘service’. I am happy that this is a more private marketplace.

Well it's not a private market place, it's a public market place and a public forum, if you google 'any product forsale' say a Sugden or Lp12 , it will bring up posts on PFM and every where else that a product has been for sale.
Also if you put any product forsale without a price (or pics) you will have the usual suspects asking for a price and pics, some of whom make a song & dance if they're asked to PM for further details.

I find the "sold" instead of the price useful as it identifies twats. Another thing like that is when a seller conceals the serial number(s).:rolleyes:

This is not a silly idea. You may have noticed that the internet is awash with scammers. Real serial numbers are often used by same to help give credence to their 'items' The complete serial number can be requested of the seller, if required.

Well it's not a private market place, it's a public market place and a public forum, if you google 'any product forsale' say a Sugden or Lp12 , it will bring up posts on PFM and every where else that a product has been for sale.
Also if you put any product forsale without a price (or pics) you will have the usual suspects asking for a price and pics, some of whom make a song & dance if they're asked to PM for further details.
The sale price is private as far as I’m concerned & I see no reason why I should share. Some sellers will want a quick sale, others happy to wait & it is entirely their business.

Hi,

Cheers

John

They are Selfishies!

advertisement

Back