advertisement

Curmudgeon Corner

A four-part series, that in the last 5 minutes indicates that this story will be milked for follow-up endless programmes.

also films that end with an obvious setup for a sequel.

grabbing swines

On the very rare occasions I eat these things, I use cutlery and a plate and enjoy it at home.

I cannot stand eating without using cutlery. To the amusement- and at times chagrin- of my friends.
It's a bad habit that came from the west. They treat pizzas as finger food too.

First prize for really annoying adverts has the go to Numan ‘erectile disfunction is common among men’.

Well, it’s not going to be common among women is it?

Stupid advert.

First prize for really annoying adverts has the go to Numan ‘erectile disfunction is common among men’.

Well, it’s not going to be common among women is it?

Stupid advert.
In America, they substitute the word “guys” for “men” so the afflicted will sound less geriatric and lame. Nope.

Talking about guys (not the effigies), it's bad enough for the Americanism to be adopted over here, but utterly ridiculous to extend to both sexes, as it seems to have done in the last few years/decades. Was 'gals' not acceptable as a feminine equivalent?

Wonder how 'guy' originated, and when. It was certainly around in the forties.

OED cites first the US use as 1847. The first British usage cited is in Charles Reade's 1863 novel 'Hard Cash': 'I wouldn't speak to you in the street for fear of disgracing you; I am such a poor little guy to be addressing a gentleman like you.'

The term probably became more popular after the success of the musical 'Guys and Dolls'.

Talking about guys (not the effigies), it's bad enough for the Americanism to be adopted over here, but utterly ridiculous to extend to both sexes, as it seems to have done in the last few years/decades. Was 'gals' not acceptable as a feminine equivalent?.
The problem with that is that you’d now have to say ‘guys and gals’, which carries disturbing overtones of Savile.

advertisement

Back