advertisement

FUNK Firm - HOUDINI

loads of online calculators - M2.5 - you'll need to know what material, SS/brass/whatever.

How is that going to help you know what it sounds like? You would have to try different settings to know if it made any difference before you came to any conclusion. If you feel it makes no difference, then just nip it up the way you always did before.

Do Rega still advocate using their torque device for tightening up their cartridges?

Was that not more about making sure it was sat absolutely square to the headshell with their 3 point system, rather than a certain torque sounding better than another?

What is the tonearm at the top of the Facebook page? Looks a bit Vestigal-ish?

Was that not more about making sure it was sat absolutely square to the headshell with their 3 point system, rather than a certain torque sounding better than another?
Not sure, but sounds feasible. I thought it was the Linn/Rega advice at the time to wack the bolts up really tight to bond the cartridge as rigidly as possible to the arm. I've used one, force applied seems excessive IMO.

Do Rega still advocate using their torque device for tightening up their cartridges?

It was because with their range of three-point mounting cartridges, it was easy to strip the internal thread if you overtightened them; it was nothing to do with sound quality or alignment.

I don't think it's a barmy product, it's just a lot more expensive than it ought to be, but hey, the dudes got to make some money right?

I don't think it's a barmy product, it's just a lot more expensive than it ought to be, but hey, the dudes got to make some money right?

My poor choice of phrase. Quite possibly not barmy.

100 times over-priced? I am not about to buy one at any price, or not at one that they are likely to be offered at, but I'd go for 10-20 times over-priced.

It's interesting how we respond to pricing. Let's say it works - not just a little, but a lot (and given Arthur's track record for innovation based on solid engineering principles I doubt it'll be pants) - does the price smart because it's small? Simple? No-one would question if it were a box of tricks that had a nice LED and CNCd front plate. So 'worth' has a strange relativity. If this does level up an RB300 with an SME-V, £300 seems a cheap price to pay. It'll be interesting to see how it performs in the market.

So far as I can see, and I have not searched, there is a rumour about price.

For me, it is bang per bucks. If UTC et al. went into print and said it was brilliant and put together reasonable points about how it "improved" things, I'd consider buying one. BUT, if the rumour is true about ££, that is one hell of a lot of money for most people - look around and see what else that might buy just in kit alone, let alone more software.

advertisement

Back