advertisement

FUNK Firm - HOUDINI

Im not sure if its right (as it sounds ludicrous) but ive heard suggested that this little bit of foam rubber comes in at £300.

Caveat Emptor.

There really, rarely is, nothing new under the sun, just reinventions.

REAL cost? How novel are the components? If they are actually unique to the product, given that sale volume is not going to be 1000's, consider tooling costs, and so on........

So if it's that good at decoupling there's no need to buy an expensive arm?

Think about it - no-one buys anything because of how IT sounds. People buy and hang on to things that they like in their system.

How the ACTUAL sound of a solitary cart' could be produced, totally unaffected by anything else, is very difficult to imagine, let alone prove that that is what it was.

Maybe people will like the sound after fitting one of these, maybe not, but that applies to every component in a system.

AK actually sent me the patent a few weeks back, although I have only read just a few lines.
It is always possible to get something past the patent office, but not at all easy. So, whatever the details of it, they are very highly likely to be novel in some way or other. Significantly novel? Usefully novel? Audibly novel?

As said Arthur doesn't normally do snake oil. I was trying to buy an LSD with FX3 and he would not sell it to me unless I bought one of these new Houdini devices. Which has stalled the purchase. I tried the deck/arm and really liked it. He insists I will regret buying the device.

The price is clearly ludicrous, but I have no doubt that it would be effective. Overtightening arms and cartridges is one of the biggest sins committed to your hi-fi. You could probably get 90% of what it does by slackening off your cartridge bolts. The amount of damage done to tonearms by well-meaning hi-fi dealers, doesn’t bear thinking about.

Edit: Having read what I just wrote, I'm tempted to try one of the Cartridgeman Isolators or the Origin Live Cartridge enablers, the latter being only £25 btw.

Overtightening arms and cartridges is one of the biggest sins committed to your hi-fi. You could probably get 90% of what it does by slackening off your cartridge bolts. The amount of damage done to tonearms by well-meaning hi-fi dealers, doesn’t bear thinking about.

So we'll fork out hundreds on some gubbins when all we need is one of these in our toolkits....

https://www.tester.co.uk/norbar-tts...ZOafq8-pAsYWQ0B2GaRj4rlHqKH7KlQhoCnGQQAvD_BwE

Warning, get the right one and it's also useful in your bike toolkit.

Warning, get the right one and it's also useful in your bike toolkit.

We had them at work, so I'm used to using them, trouble is, you have to know what torque setting to use; I guess you could get that by careful expeimentation. As for science and engineering, what are you refering to? I haven't seen any of that on this thread so far.

advertisement

Back