advertisement

I was lied to...

As with most things its all about balance.
Waste off time having a £10k high quality source, if you have a £500 amp and speakers, as its never going to be able to show off what the source can do, the same if you have £500 source and £10k amp and £10k speakers, still going to sound crap.

Balance is key

A while ago, I discovered that source amplification and speakers first was the most important thing... who’d have thought it eh?

How might it do that?

It might think it's King Kong

2858519586_3cb960eb51.jpg

Vinegar first, then salt (so the vinegar doesnt wash the salt off), then the sauce comes last.
Not like it’s up for discussion :rolleyes:

Ah. Well, obviously the real source, ie the recording, is the most important thing. Something that becomes more apparent the better the playback equipment.
The real source is the performance.
To anyone there a reproduction can never be anything but a shallow facsimile.

Yeah, I would not agree with this.

As with most things its all about balance.
Waste off time having a £10k high quality source, if you have a £500 amp and speakers, as its never going to be able to show off what the source can do, the same if you have £500 source and £10k amp and £10k speakers, still going to sound crap.

Balance is key

You could argue that a microphone three inches from a performers mouth is hearing things someone at the back of the auditorium is not.

1a) Room. It’s amazing how many people who invest so much money in equipment do absolutely nothing to their rooms. This was the biggest impact made, and I’m not talking about putting three grey things behind your speakers, but ensuring all first reflections are covered as a first step, including the ceiling. I understand it’s not always feasible, but if your room doesn’t sound good, you are wasting money.

1b) Speakers. After a recent change, no other equipment change comes even close to the difference the speakers made.
Big gap
2) Power amps.

advertisement

Back