advertisement

'The nonsense that is Naim' sub-forum

I've never heard a single Naim item in my life. What's considered their best amp? Always looking for recommendations should I upgrade any time

By the way this thread's hilarious.

Chaps

I thought I would come in with a quickie reply. I bought my first bit of Naim kit in 1986 (CD3.5 +32.5/Hicap + 140) and found it brilliant.

It was my sort of thing, designed by engineers who really knew what they were doing, it was totally reliable and I have never had a quality issue in my life. It communicates music like no other brand and because of the customer service, it has a band of dedicated customers that most makers would give their right arms for.

It has been tinkered with by dodgers who don't stand a cat in hells chance of improving it and without doubt it is rightly the most successful Hifi maker in the UK.

I now have two Naim systems and I have no intention of changing either of them.

I have no interest in other systems because they cannot hold a candle to Naim. Naim

I also have no interest in what other brand owners think of Naim because why should I care. I know that my two systems that are probably in the top 99.99% of all systems on this planet, so I have what I want and that is all that concerns me.

So if some yapping little puppies want to slag off Naim, it really is of no consequence because Naim stands head and shoulders above the rest and will still be there when the other stuff is landfill.

Thus there is no need for a Sub forum. I want Naim to be used as a benchmark for the others to aspire to and that will more likely happen in the current pfm format.

Regards

Mick
Hi Mick,

You wouldn't have bought a CD3.5 in 1986. The 32.5/hicap/140, yes. Good post, though.

ps You were 12 months behind me. :)

That's nothing to do with marketing and everything to do with shite customer service. Marketing makes you aware of something, be it a brand, a new model in a brand, how well that brand has done etc. etc. but in the case of hi-fi you ultimately use your ears to make your choice... that's all that you need. No amount of marketing is going to convince me to buy something I don't like the sound of and I would imagine everyone else is the same so where's the issue?

I disagree, although do agree re using your own ears.

But marketing is a significantly used tool for persuading people to think a certain way, but agree it was also shite customer service.

So, you think just a bit of harmless teasing then? It's not your opinion that counts here, it's that of the folk who resent the incessant anti-Naim postings. The tricky thing is that bullying may start out as teasing. But when it’s done over and over and is meant to be hurtful, it becomes bullying.

I don’t see it as either teasing or bullying, but I do agree that some people take it too far. Although that can be said in all aspects of life’s interaction.

I've never heard a single Naim item in my life. What's considered their best amp? Always looking for recommendations should I upgrade any time

By the way this thread's hilarious.

Probably the NAP250 which is also probably their longest standing and most successful amp.

Arguably their best is the Statement though.

Chaps

I thought I would come in with a quickie reply. I bought my first bit of Naim kit in 1986 (CD3.5 +32.5/Hicap + 140) and found it brilliant.

It was my sort of thing, designed by engineers who really knew what they were doing, it was totally reliable and I have never had a quality issue in my life. It communicates music like no other brand and because of the customer service, it has a band of dedicated customers that most makers would give their right arms for.

It has been tinkered with by dodgers who don't stand a cat in hells chance of improving it and without doubt it is rightly the most successful Hifi maker in the UK.

I have no interest in other systems because they cannot hold a candle to Naim. Naim

I also have no interest in what other brand owners think of Naim because why should I care. I know that my two systems that are probably in the top 99.99% of all systems on this planet, so I have what I want and that is all that concerns me.

So if some yapping little puppies want to slag off Naim, it really is of no consequence because Naim stands head and shoulders above the rest and will still be there when the other stuff is landfill.

Thus there is no need for a Sub forum. I want Naim to be used as a benchmark for the others to aspire to and that will more likely happen in the current pfm format.

Regards

Mick

Nice to see Mick back with exactly same monoloque.
I would mostly agree beeing a Naim user too, if we just went back a decade or more, their latest capitalist venture management is terrible really.
Many have reported lousy quality issues, skilled employees are outsourced, certainly not on JV level.

Chaps

Regards

Mick
I’m looking forward to the long reply.

They're all shite don't you know?

I think I read a in depth review, somewhere, that Naim is total shite.
But I might have dreamt that last bit.

After reading "... another Naim thread to end all Naim threads" on pfm.

Chaps

Regards

Mick

This whole post made me laugh out loud.

Note for Tiggers, this is the sort of post which results in a lot of the behaviours you’re complaining about.

Things like this are just comical:

cannot hold a candle to Naim
probably in the top 99.99% of all systems on this planet
Naim stands head and shoulders above the rest
I want Naim to be used as a benchmark for the others to aspire to

The marketing men/women have done a superb job with this one.

Chaps

Regards

Mick

Lol

This whole post made me laugh out loud.

Note for Tiggers, this is the sort of post which results in a lot of the behaviours you’re complaining about.

Things like this are just comical:

cannot hold a candle to Naim
probably in the top 99.99% of all systems on this planet
Naim stands head and shoulders above the rest
I want Naim to be used as a benchmark for the others to aspire to

The marketing men/women have done a superb job with this one.

Well my dear chap, you are here talking about Naim but we are not here talking about whatever it is that you use and frankly we don't care. There lies the difference.

PS. Brian

You are right, I bought the 32.5 / 140 from a chap just around the corner. I had it connected to some sort of Pioneer TT which I later replaced with a Garrard 401. I paid £40 for it from a chap in Cirencester. I later had it restored by Loricraft with a new plinth and PSU. I still have it.

The 140 has since been replaced by a 250

This thread is quite amusing in places
As someone who has used numerous brands over the years but I have used Naim since around 1990, out of choice, I really don’t care about others’ opinion of my choice because they are irrelevant, unless I believed that my personal credibility rested on what others thought about my lifestyle choices.
I happen to think that the Naim kit I use sounds closest to what I look ( or listen! ) for in a hi fi and it is only my opinion that matters to me

I can have sympathy with folk who feel that Naimites can tend towards bullying

During the 1980s and 1990s when any self respecting audiophile had to be seen to aspire to a full Linn- Naim rig it was considered almost a burn- at-the - stake sin to criticise ( especially ) Linn
I was actually shown the door by a Linn/Naim diehard dealer when I started criticising the poor bass response of the LP12 which I actually never really came to terms with.Linn speakers too , to my ears, are fatally coloured, though these products do have a following....best wishes to those that must enjoy their characteristics

There was a lot of bullshit around those brands at the time, especially when it came to getting a demo
I believe that Linn dealers were required to have the top Linn system on permanent display, and to pressurise customers to hear it.Totalitarianism if ever..

Thankfully, Naim steered down the right path ( in my opinion ) and their kit has evolved into something really nice
Linn’s diabolical attitude with after sales to customers put them completely out of the running for me

This brings to mind that old Oscar Wilde adage: “there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about............”

Naim must rub their hands with glee that all this criticism is just free publicity
Simon

Well my dear chap, you are here talking about Naim but we are not here talking about whatever it is that you use and frankly we don't care. There lies the difference.

I was assuming your last post was a little tongue in cheek, but now I’m not entirely sure.

Oh and your post has a lot of assumptions in it.

advertisement

Back