advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only recently got into Amazon Prime Movies.

Good source of very varied movies.

The films available are pretty variable in quality, but there are a few which seem to be based on late 19thC issues. These aren't 'great' films but I find them very absorbing and entertaining.
The first one I watched was The Aeronauts.. based on a real life pair of balloonists who went for high altitude stuff.way back. Not entirely true to the real events but entertaining nonetheless.
Next up was 'The Current War'.. which examined the introduction of mains electricity in the USA and explored the varying efforts of Edison, Westinghouse and Tesla. Perhaps a bit more factually correct than Aeronauts and surprisong how interestiing and dramatic such topics can be made.
Finally last night I watched 'The Professor and the Madman', detailing the efforts of the Lexicographer (name escapes me) who was mostly responsible for finally bringing the Oxford English Dictionary to press, and the contribution of an insane US Army Surgeon who sent in words and references from his cell in Broadmoor. (All true historical fact)
Worth a look.

We made it to the end of season one of Hannibal.

It started out unbelievable then got really really far fetched so I'll probably leave it there.

"What We Do In The Shadows" (Amazon). Taika Waititi's mockumentary about a colony of vampires living in suburban Wellington. Some genuine laugh-out-loud moments, and for once they weren't all in the 30 second trailer. It's also only a shade under 90 minutes - long enough to get the jokes in, not long enough to wear out the idea.

(P.S. I've since watched the end of the final series of Dark, and I stand by my recommendation. My only criticism is that the resolution arrived very quickly and could have been seeded a little better, but it worked for me)

Midnight Diner:Tokyo Stories (Netflix, Japanese with subtitles) probably a little too sentimental for the bitter curmudgeons that hang around here, but I enjoyed it. A series of short stories (25 minutes a pop) centred around the customers of the titular eatery.

Just watched Sam Mendes' 1917 on Prime in uhd, fabulous movie, stunning visuals/ one take technique draws you right in and is powerfully effective but oh my, why oh why did they use what sounds very like auto tune on the "Wayfaring stranger" song? Incongruous to say the least.

Watched 'The Town' last night via Netflix. Very easy watch. A good film with good acting and some good staging of action scenes.

As an aside, I unwittingly enabled audio description on Amazon Prime on my Android Sony Bravia. Could I turn it off? Could I heck-as-like...

If i cannot switch it off, I’ll seriously consider terminating my subscription(I spent an hour looking for fixes). I’ve started a thread on this...

Just watched Sam Mendes' 1917 on Prime in uhd, fabulous movie, stunning visuals/ one take technique draws you right in and is powerfully effective but oh my, why oh why did they use what sounds very like auto tune on the "Wayfaring stranger" song? Incongruous to say the least.

Didn't draw me in at all. Found it contrived and unrealistic. But everyone entitled etc

the lit up destroyed-city scene was stunning and it was a great story, however far fetched

After mentioning this film in reference to the soundtrack thread recently, it turns up for 99p. on Amazon prime.

Shallow Grave (1994.) dir. Danny Boyle

not seen it for decades.

Great to see this again, I had forgotten the twists and Keith Allen and his bad hair.

It is obvious that Trainspotting came from this director, the style in its infancy.

Note the toy/baby (Trainspotting) and also the head being slammed by a (fridge) door, later picked up by Guy Ritchie (think Vinny Jones/car door scene)

Last edited:
Anyone else struggling with the new series of The Sinner?

No desire to spoil anything for anyone, I'm just 4-5 episodes in and finding it hard going compared to earlier series, especially the first.

Anyone else struggling with the new series of The Sinner?

No desire to spoil anything for anyone, I'm just 4-5 episodes in and finding it hard going compared to earlier series, especially the first.

Yep, I posted earlier in the thread that I would not recommend it. Lots of potential with a decent cast, but the plot in this series was just plain bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back