advertisement

ATC SCM7 Amplification

I’ve had a leena Tucana and it’s an amp I wished I never sold.. it’s a beast but also very refined. Drove scm19 with ease..

Morning all,

Me again.

Sorry to start another thread, thought it would be easier/tidier than tagging into to the back of the last thread I started.

So, my room didn’t like the AE1A’s, which is a shame because they sound tremendous. The lower bass registers they could plumb were setting off some room modes, so they have had to go back.

This means a change in approach, leading me to the SCM7’s (sealed, higher bass rolloff seem more likely to work in my room).

So, amplifiers. They appear to ‘work’ with anything, but aren’t at their best perhaps until they’ve got some hefty watts/current behind them.

With that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions up to around the £800 mark?

There’s an AVI Lab on eBay at the minute, although I’m not sure how reasonably it is priced. Otherwise I’ve been looking at Leema, Primare & Audiolab (8200) as potential options.

Any other suggestions would be of great help!
Might be selling a Nait XS soon circa £750, pm if interested. Sorry if this post is in the wrong place. I'll be posting an ad in the classifieds for loads of surplus gear soon!

I’ve had a leena Tucana and it’s an amp I wished I never sold.. it’s a beast but also very refined. Drove scm19 with ease..

The Tucana does appear to be a monster, my budget puts me firmly in second hand Pulse territory, but I’m hopeful the house sound is consistent across their amps. There isn’t a lot to go on in terms of experience as they aren’t discussed as often as others.

Leema do appear to offer power across their models.

The Tucana does appear to be a monster, my budget puts me firmly in second hand Pulse territory, but I’m hopeful the house sound is consistent across their amps. There isn’t a lot to go on in terms of experience as they aren’t discussed as often as others.

Leema do appear to offer power across their models.
There’s a Tucana in the classifieds jyst now!!

I'm after a pair of the scm7's but my amp is only 55 watts Creek Evo 50 so I'd better save up for a bit more grunt.

To be fair, the 5i is driving the 7’s quite merrily so far. I don’t listen to music at concert levels (small room) so it seems to work, although this is specific to my room/volume etc

To be fair, the 5i is driving the 7’s quite merrily so far. I don’t listen to music at concert levels (small room) so it seems to work, although this is specific to my room/volume etc
Yes, I don't go mad with the volume and I have a small room, I like my amp so I'm still toying with the idea of getting the ATC's.

Couple of questions for those familiar with Naim.

When I increase the volume I’m noticing a couple of things:

- some hardness/glare in the mids (upper)
- busier sections become a little congested, for want of a better word

We’re only talking 65db peaks here, so nothing absurd. Is this typical of the Naim sound, or more specifically the 5i sound, or is the amp struggling a little with the speakers?

Any thoughts?

Hi,

You have recognised quite quickly the limits to the 5i.

The glare and congestion doesn’t appear at the 282 level and above.

Ray

Tbh a 5i amp on SCM7 not the best match

Great little amp on right speakers
Great little speakers on right amp

advertisement

Back