advertisement

ATC SCM7 Amplification

I don’t disagree, I’m of the assumption that the glare I’ve noticed is a feature of the Naim ‘sound’, along with some form of boosted bass, that perhaps isn’t for me.

Likewise, the Brio isn’t for me as it has some characteristics I’m not fond of either.

It’s good to know that any SS amp will suffice, I just need to find one that suits

Theres a couple of very nice old rotel power amps in classifieds which may fit the bill especially the 981!

Only concern is if its on the warm sounding side. Maybe ask the seller for an honest appraisal.

Now mine. Goes against my desire for an integrated, but it seems like a lot of amp for the money so worth trialling to see how it goes.

Preamp now, A Rotel would keep things neat & tidy.

I don't know why I waste my time but, once again, this is not a thing and doesn't happen. FORGET CURRENT!!

Question if I may. What is the differentiator between perception of power of amplifiers if both have the same wattage rating in your opinion?

For example. If you compare a Naim Supernait 3 with a Nap 250 Dr. Both are rated at 80 Watts into 8 ohms and 130 into 4 ohms I believe. However the nap will happily drive speakers down to 2 ohms whereas the supernaits safety circuits will kick in well before this. Is it just heat dissipation which allows the nap to drive a tougher load?

I have also noticed that the Supernait has a smaller transformer compared to the nap. What difference is this likely to make? Is it the reason for the nap being able to handle more difficult loads and if so why?

Thanks in advance.

They were designed to go together.
Also if you asked Jez (arkless) nicely he may tweak it for you.

It’s sold, rather annoyingly, so the hunt continues.

I’ll certainly keep Jez in mind if I do pick up something more ‘vintage’.

Thinking in terms of reducing box count, options for a pre/dac/streamer with an analog input appeal.

Anyone had a chance to compare a Naim UQ & Yamaha WXC-50? They offer fairly identical features with the Yamaha likely to be about half the cost.

Can anyone suggest any similar offerings from other manufacturers?

Thinking in terms of reducing box count, options for a pre/dac/streamer with an analog input appeal.

Anyone had a chance to compare a Naim UQ & Yamaha WXC-50? They offer fairly identical features with the Yamaha likely to be about half the cost.

Can anyone suggest any similar offerings from other manufacturers?
the peachtree nova just appeared in the classifieds at 600 would be ideal?

advertisement

Back