advertisement

ATC SCM7 Amplification

Thinking in terms of reducing box count, options for a pre/dac/streamer with an analog input appeal.

Anyone had a chance to compare a Naim UQ & Yamaha WXC-50? They offer fairly identical features with the Yamaha likely to be about half the cost.

Can anyone suggest any similar offerings from other manufacturers?
Plenty for a lot more dosh, reasonable cost these two be worth a listen

Had UQ1 and 2 and Yammy 303D - same room/speakers - different times. I liked the UQ2 best but check it can do what you need streaming wise, old platform.

Never heard the Yamaha
Not streaming much, but the little UQ is fine as preamp for ordinary source, plus internet radio & TV
Used to with Nap 100/250 and a few more.
Not the transparency as higher preamps but enjoyable.
I'm fact in smaller rooms with matching speakers its a peach on its own rights.
Remember to turn off display at shortest run.

I doubt it’s of much interest at this point, but to finish things off I have purchased a DSPeaker Dual Core which I am using as a preamp/dac with the rather excellent, and enormously useful, addition of room correction.

Bit of a left field decision, but I found one reasonably priced (used) so figured the room correction alone would be worthwhile.

Thanks to all who chipped in to help me on my merry go round, most appreciated.

I doubt it’s of much interest at this point, but to finish things off I have purchased a DSPeaker Dual Core which I am using as a preamp/dac with the rather excellent, and enormously useful, addition of room correction.

Bit of a left field decision, but I found one reasonably priced (used) so figured the room correction alone would be worthwhile.

Thanks to all who chipped in to help me on my merry go round, most appreciated.

Great decision, read my signature to find out why :) They are probably a bit behind the state of the DSP art these days, but still very effective and a relative bargain if you can find a used one. Plenty of flexibility to really tune the sound to how you like it with bass/treble tilt, parametric EQ etc. Mine's set up to give an overall downward sloping curve in room, based on the published preference research, and the result sounds great to me.

@SomeGuy how is the amplifier search going? We seem to be in the same boat. I loaned a pair of scm7s last year and thought they were fab in my room compared to my Proacs, they had real texture and didn't have issues with the bass frequencies either. I picked up some AE1 actives too try and found these also share bass issues, which wax disappointing as I like the streamer/dac/active setup.

When I had the Scm7s here I used my Sugden A21a amp and even though I had to turn the wick up way past what I was used to they sounded so good. I'm arranging some demos of ATC 11, 19 and 40s hopefully with some powerful amplification to match. I'd like to go down the simple all in one Steamer/dac/amp route too but don't know if this is viable with the ATCs. Hopefully I can let you know.

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I think I’m set, finally.

I, too, was looking for a minimal setup but was struggling to find the right combo.

Ended up with a big ol’ Rotel power amp from the 90’s & a DSPeaker Dual Core that is doing preamp/dac duties.

All is well so far. We appear to have travelled similar paths so I would be curious as to where you end up. Best of luck.

Excellent, glad it's worked out well. I too have been looking at dsp, especially as I think it's something that can be adjusted as the room changes. I'll update after I've had a chance to listen to the ATC range.

My SCM 11 worked really well with an old accuphase e-206. I'm all about infinite baffle speakers- the bass always sounds more tuneful to me.

advertisement

Back