advertisement

ATC SCM7 Amplification

I had a Nait 5i for years. Solved the hum issue by connecting a earth cable.
Though it was amazing until I heard a Nait 2... Sold the 5i immediately.
Happy ever after

The Nait transformer hum has calmed down since I got it, which is good. There is still some hum, but it’s nowhere near as loud as it was (thankfully).

Mmm, 200 hours? Is this from ATC themselves?

Not sure I’ve put 200 hours into mine but they still sound great.

Nope not from atc so ok..200 might be ott but mine deffo improved in the bass( got lower as the spider loosened up) and the top end sweeter. Just my experience with scm11

What ATC have said publically about burn in is as follows:

“We do not consider 'burn in' an issue. When our loudspeakers leave the factory they are in perfect working order and their performance will not change over time unless they are not cared for or get very old.

I think 'burn in' was probably invented by hi-fi dealers so that when they sell a cable for 500 euros and the customer complains he can't hear any difference the dealer can tell them it needs 'burning in'. After the customer has waited for two weeks for the cable to 'burn in' he has forgotten how his system sounded in the first place and can't be bothered to complain again.”

More here: http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_rodajealtavoces.htm

fair do but mine deffo changed in the bass - what i was getting at is don't be hasty in chopping amps until the speakers have had a few hrs on em and all placement options and toe in have been addressed. My scm11 responded well to careful positioning and moving then away or toward the wall changed the bass character and toe in setteld on being able to just see the inside of the cabinets with ear level being between the tweeter/ bass driver as atc recommends.

I said this earlier but if you can get an Elex-r to home demo it would definitely be worth while. Goes well with atc scm 11.

It’s on my ‘potentials’ list, albeit towards the bottom. I am concerned that it will exhibit some of the Brio’s traits that I dislike...

So, a weekend of listening has reaffirmed my belief that the Brio-R is not the partner for the ATC’s (for me).

Despite my initial reservations, I have ‘adjusted’ to the 5i’s sound & I am rather enjoying it.

However, the transformer hum, whilst better, is something I’m wondering whether I can live with long term.

So, whilst appreciating that the Naim has its own approach, are there any other companies that share similar traits?

Black, with remote & preferably an integrated, if at all possible.

my 5si transformer hummed but the one in my xs2 is silent..luck of the raw it seems but an xs would provide a bit more juice than the 5 and tighten up the bottom end a bit...

my 5si transformer hummed but the one in my xs2 is silent..luck of the raw it seems but an xs would provide a bit more juice than the 5 and tighten up the bottom end a bit...

Yeah, it seems as though some hum & others don’t, very odd.

I’d be lying if the thought of an XS didn’t appeal, but there are now 3 models (any preference) & it adds the temptation of power supplies etc....

I’m sure the extra juice would be useful

ive got an xs2 (2015) which can be had for about 1k. ive added a avondale modded naim snaps and its better but the bare amp is night an day compared to my 5si. much more authority. years ago i had an original xs and the difference is not massive i feel between the xs & xs2 so might be worth a look but any original xs is likely to be circa 10yrs old now.

:)

Now that I’ve had a good listen to something from Naim, providing you have too, how do Roksan & Naim compare?

A Caspian M2 would be interesting, but I can’t stretch to one, K2 appears to be a mixed bag.

The K2 power amp is stunning.
You would need a pre or a dac with pre facilities.
Fast, fluid, spacious, gravitas, excellent prat!
Should be around £3-400 previously enjoyed!
Also has a trimmer input so you can balance out gain.
Loads of grunt, runs cool and reliable.
Naim is more in yer face, drier sounding, Roksan more rounded and no hum!
Can’t guarantee it will be perfect for you but it was good enough for me to move my Krell on and is more friendly with varying kit than the Krell.

Good call to go all ATC.
Get the credit card out, its got to be worth it.
Higher up the Naim chain must be tempting as well?
Go on, you know you want to!

advertisement

Back