advertisement

Bands that changed...for the worse

Not buying it. Especially The Cure, whose only good album is 17 Seconds. :).

Talk Talk mentioned earlier and that’s still the only example I can think of that got radically better after their first 2 or 3.

Oh, Tim Buckley.

The mighty Half Man Half Biscuit. Their best albums IMO are Cammell Laird Social Club and Achtung Bono, their tenth and eleventh albums respectively. Oh, and The Fall, whose best work was in the Brix Smith years.

I think Fear Of Music was the peak so no, I don’t agree.

As Joe Hutch posted in maybe this thread or another thread recently that post deserves an immediate banning for at least a month or at the very least re-training an re-programming for you and Seanm :D

RIL & SIT ??? There greatest live performances emanated from those two albums. Not saying what came previous was chaff it was anything but.

Rolling Stones were never the same after Brian Jones left. I lost interest after his chamber music blues influence went

As Joe Hutch posted in maybe this thread or another thread recently that post deserves an immediate banning for at least a month or at the very least re-training an re-programming for you and Seanm :D

RIL & SIT ??? There greatest live performances emanated from those two albums. Not saying what came previous was chaff it was anything but.
I always thought Remain In Light was the sound of Eno finally forcing his way into the group and doing a bit of a Yoko in the process. Speaking In Tongues I know I have on vinyl, but I can’t think of any track on it right now. I thought it was pretty thin gruel after that, although Naked managed the odd twitch of life. I’m not counting live albums as they aren’t really part of a group’s linear progression. (God, that sentence sounds pretentious, I hope no-one reads it.)

I always thought Remain In Light was the sound of Eno finally forcing his way into the group and doing a bit of a Yoko in the process. Speaking In Tongues I know I have on vinyl, but I can’t think of any track on it right now. I thought it was pretty thin gruel after that, although Naked managed the odd twitch of life. I’m not counting live albums as they aren’t really part of a group’s linear progression. (God, that sentence sounds pretentious, I hope no-one reads it.)
I like the Eno/Yoko analogy.

I always thought Remain In Light was the sound of Eno finally forcing his way into the group and doing a bit of a Yoko in the process.

I’d put Fear Of Music as Eno leaving his mark, and RIL being the point David Byrne really got interested in African/world music (and Miles Davis). That run of albums from 77 to RIL is just amazing. They started running with an amazing debut, but kept learning and growing as the very best bands do.

I like a couple of tracks on 'Fear of Music' but it's 'Remain in Light' and the live set from the same era on 'Name of the Band' that are their peak (IMHO). Eno made them interesting, Adrian Belew was the icing on the cake. They both went and \tslking Heads became a bit 'meh' to my ears.

I like a couple of tracks on 'Fear of Music' but it's 'Remain in Light' and the live set from the same era on 'Name of the Band' that are their peak (IMHO). Eno made them interesting, Adrian Belew was the icing on the cake. They both went and \tslking Heads became a bit 'meh' to my ears.

I can understand that but even 'meh' Talking Heads was better than most. David Byrne had probably had enough after Stop Making Sense. True Stories was forced on them by the record company. Little Creatures belated broke them into the mainstream. David was starting to explore Brazilian/ World music hence Naked was a really good album just not up to the standard of the first five.

There is no doubt Jon Hassell Possible World Musics, MLITBOF all fed into RIL. But it is the icing on the cake one of the best albums ever released. SIT has many memorable tracks that still get played on David Byrne tours. We will have to agree to disagree. There is nothing wrong mentioning the word pretentious when talking about TH :)

SIT has many memorable tracks that still get played on David Byrne tours. We will have to agree to disagree.
I guess so. I’ve just fished out my copy of SIT (Direct Metal Mastering, no less) to see if I could jog my memory. Burning Down The House, of course. The last track, which I’ve always been sentimentally fond of. Girlfriend Is Better - I remember that line, and a synth going weee-oooh, weee-oooh. But nothing else on the album. I could probably sing you Fear Of Music from beginning to end. But don’t worry, I wouldn’t be that heartless.

I guess so. I’ve just fished out my copy of SIT (Direct Metal Mastering, no less) to see if I could jog my memory. Burning Down The House, of course. The last track, which I’ve always been sentimentally fond of. Girlfriend Is Better - I remember that line, and a synth going weee-oooh, weee-oooh. But nothing else on the album. I could probably sing you Fear Of Music from beginning to end. But don’t worry, I wouldn’t be that heartless.

'But don’t worry, I wouldn’t be that heartless':D Slippery People, Pull up the Roots, Making Flippy Floppy with those timeless lyrics below. Moon Rocks is a very good test track for the auld hifi. But I do get it having that memorable album that just trumps all possibly because of where you were at the time or whatever.
' can't believe it
And people are strange
Our president's crazy
Did you hear what he said
Business and pleasure
Lie right to your face
Divide it in sections
And then give it away'

The lyrics are generally pretty terrible on Talking Heads records. I think David Byrne is the least talented of the group but has an eye for style & image.

I'd take the decline of Fleetwood Mac back to Green Manalishi, not much i'd choose to listen to after that.

Clapton didn't do anything great after Cream; even Jack Bruce struggled, saw him on the Carla Bley tour and some trace of genius leaked through the booze.

Did Rory Gallagher ever better On The Boards?

I'd say Kevin Ayers peaked at Dr Dream though; maybe his fourth?

P J Harvey seems to have moved well with the times; like Skunk Anansie a series of if uncompressed audiophile recordings would be great.

Some seem to be aware and only release when they have a valid contribution. Not much from Courtney Pine lately.

advertisement

Back