advertisement

Bands that changed...for the worse

Rage Against The Machine. Every album that followed their debut album really disappointed me.
Even Battle for...? I dig it. Agree re Evil Empire and WTF their last one was though.
Battle won heaps of praise on release.
Given the animal energy they had I woulda thought the live one was gonna be worth it too.

Pearl Jam, amazing first album, second a bit meh and a load of forgettable blandness until Yield, then back to naffness.
Screaming Trees started a bit iffy and grew up to Dust.
Re the Genesis thang, Trespass through to W&W, dropped off the planet for me until eponymous and then dissolved into utter dross.

Two rather spectacular examples of self inflicted foot shooting... Celtic Frost; Cold Lake and ABC; Beauty Stab.

In the rock field "Cold Lake" is often touted as the ultimate career suicide album.

Stereophonics
Pet shop boys
The Verve
Muse.

I don’t think these have been mentioned, all personal opinions. Some bands have been mentioned many times over and agree with those especially Genesis and Queen.

Drama is a surprisingly good album.
Funnily enough, having first completely dismissed "Drama" when it was first issued, I've now come to regard it as one of my favourite "Yes" albums. Us rabid Yes fans were extremely dismissive of it at the time, regarding it as a betrayal, so much resistance to even listening to it.

The Stone Roses! probably the best debut album ever and then... a bizarre "led zep tribute album" and... was there even anything after that?

I came here to say the same. The debut is a top 10 of all time for me, very nearly a perfect pop record. The second is...not. Everything they did around the time of the debut - all the b-sides, all the outtakes...all amazing. The second was so different - and so...not good, that I took it personally (and still do).

They did record two new songs when they reunited in 2016. The best thing I can say about them...is that they are not memorable.

Now, I just play the early songs, pretend the second record never happened, and try to forget that Ian Brown is a real dummy.

On Thom Yorke, I thought The Eraser was a great album.

You only have to listen to Tom Tom Club to hear where the talent in Talking Heads really was.

advertisement

Back