advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I
People really did need to think a bit harder last December about what they were voting for, unfortunately, many did not due to an obsession with a single issue.

People really did need to think a bit harder in June 2016 about what they were voting for, unfortunately, many did not due to an obsession with a single issue. (There’s too many of ‘em over ‘ere.)

No, but I quote the BBC 'Most experienced civil servants acknowledge that there are things that the system can do better.' Which is probably putting it mildly. Take the review of the Windrush scandal (during which I think I'm right in saying that Sedwill was Permament Secretary at the HO), which concluded that;

• The Home Office was fragmented and decision-making was "siloed"
  • A target-dominated work environment within visas and immigration enforcement sections
  • A lack of empathy in some cases along with dehumanising jargon and cliches
  • Some senior civil servants and former ministers showed ignorance, lack of understanding and acceptance of the full extent of the injustice
  • Changes to legal aid contributed to the scandal
  • A history of prejudice towards black people and wider society also a factor

Sounds more like he carried out May's H.O. policy to the letter. What's your beef with him again?

I did have to laugh at the suggestion that he was somehow to blame for the government's handling of COVID-19 in the UK, like Dom's contribution has been an asset. You really can sell these fools anything it seems.

People really did need to think a bit harder last December about what they were voting for, unfortunately, many did not due to an obsession with a single issue.
Did you notice that in a significant number of constituencies, the Labour vote dropped by about the same number as were gained by the Brexit Party? And thereby let the Tories in. Your narrative (that people voted LibDem instead of Labour, letting the Tories in) seems to gloss over the point that a lot of 'your' people appear to have done a moonlight flit to the Brexit Party, and that's what really did for Labour, especially in breaking down that Red Wall. So now who voted 'incorrectly' due to an obsession with a single issue (hint: the party name is a broad clue)?

Last edited:
That's fine and dandy in the medium to long term, but have you any idea of the lead times involved? Let me tell you; it's around three years for a nurse, ten for a GP and fifteen for a surgeon. What do you and you chum Colin B suggest we do in the meantime? I don't think either of you have a clue.
Is it a cut in training funding or that they are retiring early and working part time.

No, but I quote the BBC 'Most experienced civil servants acknowledge that there are things that the system can do better.' Which is probably putting it mildly. Take the review of the Windrush scandal (during which I think I'm right in saying that Sedwill was Permament Secretary at the HO), which concluded that;

• The Home Office was fragmented and decision-making was "siloed"
  • A target-dominated work environment within visas and immigration enforcement sections
  • A lack of empathy in some cases along with dehumanising jargon and cliches
  • Some senior civil servants and former ministers showed ignorance, lack of understanding and acceptance of the full extent of the injustice
  • Changes to legal aid contributed to the scandal
  • A history of prejudice towards black people and wider society also a factor

All very interesting, but back to your point that I'm challenging, that the CS is not (politically) impartial. Do you have evidence? Feel free to take your time to find something relevant rather than throwing up more chaff.

All very interesting, but back to your point that I'm challenging, that the CS is not (politically) impartial. Do you have evidence? Feel free to take your time to find something relevant rather than throwing up more chaff.

Are you in the CS?

Ha! I've roused some ire, as I suspected.

How would you respond if I were to say that I strongly suspect (yes, I know) that there is an institutional opposition to, for example, brexit within the CS?

Google is your friend there EV

You can't have your cake and eat it (too) is a popular English idiomatic proverb or figure of speech.[1] The proverb literally means "you cannot simultaneously retain your cake and eat it". Once the cake is eaten, it is gone. It can be used to say that one cannot have two incompatible things, or that one should not try to have more than is reasonable. The proverb's meaning is similar to the phrases "you can't have it both ways" and "you can't have the best of both worlds."

For those unfamiliar with it, the proverb may sound confusing due to the ambiguity of the word 'have', which can mean 'keep' or 'to have in one's possession', but which can also be used as a synonym for 'eat' (e.g. 'to have breakfast'). Some find the common form of the proverb to be incorrect or illogical and instead prefer: "You can't eat your cake and [then still] have it (too)". Indeed, this used to be the most common form of the expression until the 1930s–1940s, when it was overtaken by the have-eat variant.[2] Another, less common, version uses 'keep' instead of 'have'.[3]

Just an aside, but I've never understood the 'cake and eat it' metaphor. Why would you have some cake if you didn't want or expect to eat it? S'pose you could give it to the birds.

And sorry to probably sound a bit thick, but what are 'well trained statue protectors', why would they patrol farms, and why would their doing so make it comfortable for seasonal labourers?

How would you respond if I were to say that I strongly suspect (yes, I know) that there is an institutional opposition to, for example, brexit within the CS?

That is a way of presenting it. Another way of saying sort of the same thing is' The CS considering the implications of Brexit and after careful assessment came to the conclusion it was not beneficial to the country'
I suspect that is how it transpired. Your comrades on this thread maybe including yourself will suggest all the goodies and freebies they get from the EU taint their decision making. Eh I would strongly disagree

It's finally beginning to dawn on many who voted Leave that ending Freedom of Movement goes both ways. Those nice litle holiday homes in Spain that they will only be able to stay in for 90 days every 6 months seem a lot less attractive now that they also have to pay for a visa and health insurance as well.

I had an interesting conversation with some friends over the weekend. Apparantly they know of quite a few fellow EU citizens who are actively looking at picking up bargains in the fire sale of properties from Brits after Jan 1st and that the Spanish are looking forward to replacing the drunken louts with people from other nationalities.

If any of us want to eat turkey this Christmas then I hope to Christ that there's a special case made for Portuguese butchers, or we are going to have to do our own butchery, because the turkey factories can't run without immigrants and the Portuguese seem to make up a good few of them. Actually hopefully we will be OK this year, it's janu ary it all (snigger) happens, isn't it? If not then we need to get enough skilled butchers to Suffolk to process 2 million birds in 6 weeks. Are you any good with a knife?

Yesterday at a friends' kid's birthday party a priest was telling us that many Portuguese families are leaving London and returning to Portugal; not the lower class unskilled wave from the '60s and early '70s (those will be staying and many unfortunately living on benefits) but the more recent post-2009 tide of legal professionals and scientists, economists, managing directors, engineers, architects, doctors, nurses...
Poland is paying for their skilled expats to return home.

Instead of using data the usual remainer group thinking on this thread is that if the majority think something is true and most agree then it must be true. There has been the same wishful thinking with the referendum, the 2017 GE, a second referendum, and even the 2019 GE. Westminster had the same approach of wishful thinking that they Know best and the electorate had their say.

That's not true. It is true to say that the referendum was advisory and the government of the day could have gone with a 'soft' Brexit and try and push it through with support of a sensible opposition for many discussed reasons this did not happen. Yes a lot of people here pushed for a second referendum and yes I would concede that some remainers did advocate just not doing it. But definitely they always used data. You tend not to or present somethin
It's finally beginning to dawn on many who voted Leave that ending Freedom of Movement goes both ways. Those nice litle holiday homes in Spain that they will only be able to stay in for 90 days every 6 months seem a lot less attractive now that they also have to pay for a visa and health insurance as well.

I had an interesting conversation with some friends over the weekend. Apparantly they know of quite a few fellow EU citizens who are actively looking at picking up bargains in the fire sale of properties from Brits after Jan 1st and that the Spanish are looking forward to replacing the drunken louts with people from other nationalities.

Typical foreigners!

If you work on the assumption that your post is going to rouse ire in someone, you'll probably be right most of the time.

Again, evidence? Still waiting for that evidence on lack of impartiality in the CS. Please feel free to post some.

Just caught a headline: UK heading for worst recession in Europe. -20% in April. Good thing we take back control in 2021 :rolleyes:

I think this message will be repeated around a lot of countries in Europe over the next year. Sadly it will impact all of us across the EU. A weak UK impacts across the continent adding Brexit is the icing on this disaster.
Even if the UK had gone for a soft Brexit I think this government would have unpicked that just as they are trying to rewrite the political declaration now.

Yesterday at a friends' kid's birthday party a priest was telling us that many Portuguese families are leaving London and returning to Portugal; not the lower class unskilled wave from the '60s and early '70s (those will be staying and many unfortunately living on benefits) but the more recent post-2009 tide of legal professionals and scientists, economists, managing directors, engineers, architects, doctors, nurses...
Poland is paying for their skilled expats to return home.

Not nice for the UK time will tell if this is just a trickle or a large trend. It will take a good few years to bottom out the stats and impact either way. I don't think information like that will linger long in the minds of a lot Brexiteers except maybe happiness that they are gone. Job done, vote well cast.

People really did need to think a bit harder in June 2016 about what they were voting for, unfortunately, many did not due to an obsession with a single issue. (There’s too many of ‘em over ‘ere.)
2016 actually was a single issue. Remain a part of the EU or leave the EU.

People really did need to think a bit harder in 2017, 2015 and 2010 about what they were voting for.

I’ve seen complaints here that expats weren’t allowed a vote, over half a million of nailed on remain votes that never happened, apparently. So who are these many leave voters you speak of and what is the evidence for your latest story?

:D:D

Just an aside, but I've never understood the 'cake and eat it' metaphor. Why would you have some cake if you didn't want or expect to eat it? S'pose you could give it to the birds.

And sorry to probably sound a bit thick, but what are 'well trained statue protectors', why would they patrol farms, and why would their doing so make it comfortable for seasonal labourers?
Stop taking the mick. You know damn well what both things mean, you haven't been living in a cave since the "statue protectors" wer dragging their knuckles around various cities a week or two ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back