advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... III

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D

It was a get brexit done election.

This is what I meant earlier when I said people really needed to think about what they were voting for at that GE last Dec.

I think you're right. Part of the problem was that people had been baffled/bamboozled/frustrated by the goings-on in Parliament in the preceding months, allied to the fact that it was an election called on Johnson's timescale. He was on a hook, and should have been left there, but Swinson and Corbyn between them very helpfully got him off it. Then he could present the choice in binary terms, whilst the other parties were sill struggling with what to offer as an alternative to Get Brexit Done.

Surely that was a textbook example of people voting for one thing (Get Brexit Done) and ignoring the bigger picture (a buffoon in No 10 and a bunch of useless clowns in the Cabinet)?
Actually I think the buffoon and cabinet of all the non-talents were part of the attraction. Boris was the man who swore he’d die in a ditch rather than fail to deliver Brexit. He’d do anything, illegally shut Parliament and even lie to the Queen. Gove, Mogg, Raab and the other zealots would make sure it got dun.

Actually I think the buffoon and cabinet of all the non-talents were part of the attraction. Boris was the man who swore he’d die in a ditch rather than fail to deliver Brexit. He’d do anything, illegally shut Parliament and even lie to the Queen,

Whilst lying down in front of a bulldozer to stop the expansion of Heathrow (looks like he got a lucky break with that one, given what's happened to air travel).

I think you're right. Part of the problem was that people had been baffled/bamboozled/frustrated by the goings-on in Parliament in the preceding months, allied to the fact that it was an election called on Johnson's timescale. He was on a hook, and should have been left there, but Swinson and Corbyn between them very helpfully got him off it. Then he could present the choice in binary terms, whilst the other parties were sill struggling with what to offer as an alternative to Get Brexit Done.

He was desperate for that election, he saw what he was up against and it paid off. But as you say, he should have been left dangling.

Swinson scared everyone away and yes Labour voters went BP then Johnson when it became apparent that he would get Brexit done good and proper, stop the immigrants coming in and lavish some free money on their Boondocks.
That seems to nail it.

As I’ve said numerous times now, leave supporters swarmed to the tories with small but still significant numbers to the brexit party to ‘get brexit done’.

The remain supporters should have voted Labour where Labour could win a seat, or tactically against the tories where Labour are nowhere. They could always have swung straight back to their Utopia party at the next GE but they didn’t want remain enough to help enable that second referendum.

That may well be true, but it doesn't counter my point, which was that it was in many cases Labour voters deserting to the BP which swung the election, rather than Remain voters failing to support Labour in favour of the LibDems, which was Brian's argument.

Agree. My comment wasn't posted to counter. Not sure why Brian thinks Remain voters would support Labour with Corbyn at the helm. Hopefully he will grace us with his presence soon and explain...

The remain supporters should have voted Labour where Labour could win a seat, or tactically against the tories where Labour are nowhere. They could always have swung straight back to their Utopia party at the next GE but they didn’t want remain enough to help enable that second referendum.

We are in agreement, I think. When push came to shove they let Johnson in but not because they wanted Brexit done, far from it. Too many Remainers wouldn't support Corbyn. Brexiteers were prepared to support Johnson no matter what.

A good example of the level of Brexiteer comprehension, from one of it's leading 'lights' FFS.
It reads like the sort of letter that would have been written out long hand and posted to the editor of the DM or Express by an enraged dementee in a Tory Shire or when they weren’t doing that, it would be a similar letter to the Prime Minister, 10 Downing Street, London demanding to know why his bin collection had been reduced in frequency. I was wondering why we hadn’t heard from Corporal Francois lately.

Christ! How on earth do you come across such dross? Oh, I know. It’s what twatter is about.

No it wasn't, Corbyn was also a much bigger issue.
Obviously, I disagree.

Corbyn was an issue, in no small part due to the media campaign against him and what turns out to be internal factions of the Labour party, but brexit was the biggest single issue people voted on, imo.

We are in agreement, I think. When push came to shove they let Johnson in but not because they wanted Brexit done, far from it. Too many Remainers wouldn't support Corbyn. Brexiteers were prepared to support Johnson no matter what.
Just to be clear, I haven’t said remainers wanted brexit done, why would I say that? Remainers didn’t want remain enough to vote for a second referendum. Those that wanted brexit done voted tory and brexit party.

Christ! How on earth do you come across such dross? Oh, I know. It’s what twatter is about.

Obviously, I disagree.

Corbyn was an issue, in no small part due to the media campaign against him and what turns out to be internal factions of the Labour party, but brexit was the biggest single issue people voted on, imo.
Are you referring to the content of the Francois letter or Twitter? When I read it, I thought of the style of many of your posts.

Are you referring to the content of the Francois letter or Twitter? When I read it, I thought of the style of many of your posts.
I don’t like twatter in general.

Anyway, thanks for the latest uncalled for internet snipe. I wouldn’t have mentioned it, but when I see a picture of an angry nationalist skinhead, spitting bile, I think of you. Probably not fair as I don’t know you.

I don’t like twatter in general.

Anyway, thanks for the latest uncalled for internet snipe. I wouldn’t have mentioned it, but when I see a picture of an angry nationalist skinhead, spitting bile, I think of you. Probably not fair as I don’t know you.
Yeahbut did you read the letter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back