advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... III

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Drumpf and BJ have shown that our much vaunted institutional 'checks and balances' are easily brushed away by ruthless leaders with no respect for the country as a whole. The skill is to remove the important blocks while leaving the edifice as a semblance of democracy.

For the same reason charter flights have been commissioned by UK farmers to bring Romanian pickers into Britain this year. He’ll be giving it the “ere! Why can’t they stay in their own country?!” while shoving a strawberry picked by one of them into his mouth.
If any of us want to eat turkey this Christmas then I hope to Christ that there's a special case made for Portuguese butchers, or we are going to have to do our own butchery, because the turkey factories can't run without immigrants and the Portuguese seem to make up a good few of them. Actually hopefully we will be OK this year, it's janu ary it all (snigger) happens, isn't it? If not then we need to get enough skilled butchers to Suffolk to process 2 million birds in 6 weeks. Are you any good with a knife?

If any of us want to eat turkey this Christmas then I hope to Christ that there's a special case made for Portuguese butchers, or we are going to have to do our own butchery, because the turkey factories can't run without immigrants and the Portuguese seem to make up a good few of them. Actually hopefully we will be OK this year, it's janu ary it all (snigger) happens, isn't it? If not then we need to get enough skilled butchers to Suffolk to process 2 million birds in 6 weeks. Are you any good with a knife?
Why the snigger?

I used to run a small business in the Midlands. There was a butcher next door who flogged hundreds of turkey's on order around Christmas time, sorted them all himself. Went by the name of Bill, I never realised he was Portuguese. There is a farm shop near us now where they do all their own butchery, you can watch them at work, I didn't know they were Portuguese either. I wonder what I'll do for the steak and dog bones from January.

By the way, I'm good with a knife and a chicken, I'd have a shot at a turkey.

How bad is this?

Mark Sedwill to stand down as UK's top civil servant
Cabinet secretary had been at odds with Dominic Cummings and a target of hostile briefings
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ill-expected-to-quit-as-uks-top-civil-servant
It's bad. It can happen when unelected individuals attain too much power.

People really did need to think a bit harder last December about what they were voting for, unfortunately, many did not due to an obsession with a single issue.

It'll be fine. We've got a butcher's dog in fine fettle running the country, so no problem!

Just caught a headline: UK heading for worst recession in Europe. -20% in April. Good thing we take back control in 2021 :rolleyes:

Colin, you do rather like putting numbers down to back yourself up. You like numbers. You don’t have any idea what they mean though. A few days ago KrisW played into your hands. Or, rather, what could have been your hands. Kris is bright, it was a test that you failed completely. It was (as below) obviously a question asked of you.

Some numbers in there eh Colin? Should have played into your hands.
Here's the response that you puked up, you even bothered to quote Kris's post as if you were trying to reply to it:

Facepalm! Faced with a bit of trying to understanding what the numbers mean you fall flat on your face. The response has no bearing to the post. Colin-bot does not know how to reply! Numbers aren't black and white, they need to be thought about to understand why the numbers are what they are. What are the backgrounds to the statistics, what are the trends, what do they imply for the future?
Instead of using data the usual remainer group thinking on this thread is that if the majority think something is true and most agree then it must be true. There has been the same wishful thinking with the referendum, the 2017 GE, a second referendum, and even the 2019 GE. Westminster had the same approach of wishful thinking that they Know best and the electorate had their say.

Not sure what your point is? You are super hard brexiteer ( I use hard just as a moniker like used by others to describe remainers ;) might as well play the opposition with the same tactics) I was under the impression your world vision was no immigrants are required they are taking our jobs/benefits. You do understand that living costs are a factor for anybody who might live in a country with a lower minimum wage? It is difficult to reconcile your keep them out take back control with your post. Sure they will come anyway because their minimum wage is less than the UK. Its kinda classic cake and eat it Brexit fantasy. economics. You maybe right but they will only come if it is worthwhile. If the farms are going to be patrolled by already well trained statue protectors it might be comfortable for them?

Apologises as I know you prefer one liners

Just an aside, but I've never understood the 'cake and eat it' metaphor. Why would you have some cake if you didn't want or expect to eat it? S'pose you could give it to the birds.

And sorry to probably sound a bit thick, but what are 'well trained statue protectors', why would they patrol farms, and why would their doing so make it comfortable for seasonal labourers?

That's fine and dandy in the medium to long term, but have you any idea of the lead times involved? Let me tell you; it's around three years for a nurse, ten for a GP and fifteen for a surgeon. What do you and you chum Colin B suggest we do in the meantime? I don't think either of you have a clue.

That's all a bit unnecessarily aggressive and snarky, Mike.

A couple of points; Colin and I might be aligned on Brexit, or aspects of it, but we've never actually met, so we're really not 'chums'. More than 17 million people voted for brexit, but I know very few of them, and would consider myself a 'chum' of fewer still.

And thank you for the unsolicited and rather patronising lecture, and yes, I'm perfectly well aware of the lead times involved in medical training.

Agreed. My point was that even if we start properly investing in training tomorrow, it's not a quick fix, and we will be reliant on people coming from overseas to fill NHS jobs for decades to come.

Yes, that's a bit more like it.

I'd be very surprised, as Sedwill was a May appointee, and Cummings was a Johnson appointee. If Cummings could survive his Castle Barnard eyesight test drive, he would appear to be unsackable.

I'd be very surprised, as Sedwill was a May appointee, and Cummings was a Johnson appointee. If Cummings could survive his Castle Barnard eyesight test drive, he would appear to be unsackable.

It isn't beyond me to wonder what part Sedwill, who is after all a spook, might have had in the Cummings/Durham/CB disclosures.

Wild conspiracy theories aside, I thought that when BJ appointed Sedwill as Cabinet Secretary and Mandarin-in-Chief that he wasn't serious about Whitehall reform. It appears now that I was wrong.

Do you work in the CS?

No, but I quote the BBC 'Most experienced civil servants acknowledge that there are things that the system can do better.' Which is probably putting it mildly. Take the review of the Windrush scandal (during which I think I'm right in saying that Sedwill was Permament Secretary at the HO), which concluded that;

• The Home Office was fragmented and decision-making was "siloed"
  • A target-dominated work environment within visas and immigration enforcement sections
  • A lack of empathy in some cases along with dehumanising jargon and cliches
  • Some senior civil servants and former ministers showed ignorance, lack of understanding and acceptance of the full extent of the injustice
  • Changes to legal aid contributed to the scandal
  • A history of prejudice towards black people and wider society also a factor

No, but I quote the BBC 'Most experienced civil servants acknowledge that there are things that the system can do better.' Which is probably putting it mildly. Take the review of the Windrush scandal (during which I think I'm right in saying that Sedwill was Permament Secretary at the HO), which concluded that;

• The Home Office was fragmented and decision-making was "siloed"
  • A target-dominated work environment within visas and immigration enforcement sections
  • A lack of empathy in some cases along with dehumanising jargon and cliches
  • Some senior civil servants and former ministers showed ignorance, lack of understanding and acceptance of the full extent of the injustice
  • Changes to legal aid contributed to the scandal
  • A history of prejudice towards black people and wider society also a factor
Criticism of Sedwill's tenure as Perm Sec at the Home Office is fair enough, but a lot of these bulleted intitutionalised problems with the HO go back decades, and most are probably attributable in large degree to political and ministerial interference or 'policies' as their root cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back