advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a couple of pages.
Things I found interesting from today’s viewpoint were

(1) the amount of space given to each country’s wine. France 18 pages, Germany 13, ROW 2 (a little less than sherry, or cigars) - of which Australia, South Africa and the USA contributed precisely no entries between them.

(2) the much smaller differential between top and bottom. Ch. Margaux was only four times the price of Mateus Rosé (aaah, I can almost smell the wicker basket...)

(3) the illustrated literary quotations which may yet suck erudite folk like Dr Joe Hutch into the Christmas Wine camp.

It’s interesting the price differential. However, many of these chateaus have invested large amounts of money in the production and have been bought by large corporations.
I remember buying Penfolds Bin 28 for less than £5 and then discount of 25% not that long ago. It’s now over £35. No way is it a £35 wine. Same with Penfolds Grange. I remember buying 1998 vintage from Tesco for £99 plus 30% discount. (I have one left) And now it’s £500 a bottle for recent vintages. This is one reason I’ve bought wine which I intend on keeping until retirement as I’d hate to think of the prices in 5 years time.
I super find years ago was Domus Aurea from Chile made by a Frenchman, JP Lacaze. First bought it from Oddbins before it went bankrupt. Then from Naked wines. Was informed last year was the last vintage they were selling as it sells for so much more in the US so very little coming to UK. Such a shame as it’s such a brilliant Cab Sav.

^ I guess the main reasons for the huge increase in price differential are:
1. world's population has more than doubled whereas Bordeaux production has increased by 50% overall but the famous names must be limited increases if any,
2. the capture of most nation's wealth by the 1%,
3. China.
Fortunately there has been a massive increase in quantity and, in most cases, quality of NW wines. And so many interesting Old World wines other than Bordeaux. According to Cellartracker 11.2% of my wine is Bordeaux.
Rough production in millions of hectolitres: Italy 50, France 45, Spain 40, USA 25, Argentina & Australia & Chile 13, South Africa & Germany 10.

Last edited:
Tried another top NZ chardonnay: Man O'War Valhalla. Now I do like the name better than Hunting Hill, and it is very good. It's close enough to need both at same temp and a blindfold though... I suspect I am biased ifo Kumeu.

Mafeking is relieved! I’ve booked a crossing to France in early July. Finally I can get my hands on my Cornas, Bouscassé and two dozen £4 Perrin Ventoux (not to mention cartons of Leffe and crates of Rochefort) that have been marooned over there for three months. Now to scour the French merchants for bargains that can be delivered while I’m there, in case the tit-for-tat quarantine regulations are still in place (which I doubt.)

'Cases' of wine. 'Cartons' of Leffe. 'Crates' of Rochefort.
No wonder I sometimes just resort to calling them 'box' and confuse everyone.
Have a safe trip Mb. Is that 48 bottles of wine ? Should be plenty of room for additional bargains ?
Will be in Hawkes Bay wine country on Wednesday meeting an old colleague who owns a small vineyard. Will be interesting to hear his view of NZ wine...

Last edited:
'Cases' of wine. 'Cartons' of Leffe. 'Crates' of Rochefort.
No wonder I sometimes just resort to calling them 'box' and confuse everyone.
Have a safe trip Mb. Is that 48 bottles of wine ? Should be plenty of room for additional bargains ?
Thanks. In terms of CV it should be perfectly safe. If I have to isolate myself on arrival the only people I will come near during the trip will be three passport/border control officials and (I hope) a couple of wine couriers.

35 bottles so far. That includes two bottles of 2015 Haut-Maurac that were so eminently forgettable that I had eminently forgotten about them. I’m giving serious thought to ordering more Bouscassé as I’m definitely getting the Madiran bug*. And more 2017 Delas Cornas Chante-Perdrix, which seems like a bargain at about £24 delivered (that was the Wine Soc EP price pre duty/VAT.)

Here’s the stash - Ventoux not shown.

50008302811_1635a406c8_c.jpg

I admit the wine is in boxes and the Leffe could be described that way at a pinch. But the Rochefort is definitely in crates. I had forgotten one of them contained green-topped Rochefort 8 rather than blue 10. I must have been feeling abstemious that day.

*nothing to do with Prof. Roger Corder, although becoming healthier the more of it you drink is obviously a bonus. And if you don’t think that’s how it works you needn’t bother telling me, thanks all the same.

Last edited:
^ interesting that producers bubble oxygen through Madiran to soften the tannins. Bit like pouring any young red wine through the little aerator gadgets we discussed earlier.

Last edited:
^ interesting that producers bubble oxygen through Madiran to soften the tannins. Bit like pouring any young red wine through the little aerator gadgets we discussed earlier.
Quite widespread nowadays, including (in)famously in Bordeaux. It’s not used by Brumont at Montus/Bouscassé, though.

https://www.francetoday.com/food-drink/wine_and_spirits/the_man_from_madiran/

(Alain, would you mind pointing at the logo on the barrel while we take a photo? It helps our slower readers to work out the subject of the piece. Pardon? No, no, it will look completely natural...)

I've found a fancy box of three bottles of Champagne. They were left by tenants in a flat I used to own. Labelled Champagne de Castellane, in red, blue and white bottles to celebrate the Bicentenaire de la Revolution Francaise 1789-1989.
No mention that it's vintage stuff. Do I presume correctly that there is no value in it and beyond that probably undrinkable?

I've found a fancy box of three bottles of Champagne. They were left by tenants in a flat I used to own. Labelled Champagne de Castellane, in red, blue and white bottles to celebrate the Bicentenaire de la Revolution Francaise 1789-1989.
No mention that it's vintage stuff. Do I presume correctly that there is no value in it and beyond that probably undrinkable?
All I can tell you is that they have a website and a rather smart-looking gaff.

https://www.castellane.com/en/

@andrew d a quick google shows that some of these pop up at auction every now and again, and prices range (that I could see very quickly) between €50 a bottle and €90 for all three. Not sure it’s worth pursuing. Maybe try drinking them?

A bit obscure, this one.

I think it was Jancis who first drew my attention to Domaine Jorel, possibly one night when we were sharing a Romeo y Julieta outside Wetherspoons in the days before my boycott, having a smoke-ring blowing contest while they changed the Stella barrel. I found Manuel at the Lille Wine fair later that year, and loved his wines. A very nice chap, too, working - at least then - at a garagiste level. I didn’t love the fact he wasn’t geared up for credit cards, and had to wander unsteadily to a bank before I could buy from him.

I probably bought from him for the next three years (each time forgetting he took cash only, naturally) and this bottle would have been from the last time I saw him - maybe about five years ago. He wasn’t there last November, but I’m pleased to see he has a web presence and is obviously still very much in business.

This is the last bottle of his that I had, and is really lovely. I don’t even know what’s in it - he changes the names of his cuvées frequently, so his website is no help. I’d guess Grenache and perhaps Mourvèdre, for starters. Or maybe Carignan. This is good stuff (he said, having another sip), it gives any Languedoc I’ve had a run for its money, even though Manuel is a little bit up the road from there. If you ever come across any of his stuff, buy without trepidation. And if you ever meet him, remember me to him. Just say ‘confused beardy Englishman who never had cash’.

50030765011_10c396ce10_z.jpg

...and no, I never did ask him if he was really Superman’s dad.

Last edited:
^ do you mean 'down' as in south, rather than 'up' the road from Languedoc ? Côtes du Roussillon ? Probably some Syrah in there which may be why you like it so much ?
I'm sure I would find a large wine fair baffling: how do you stumble into these worthy characters ? Excellent vignettes on vignerons.
I had thought my friend with the small vineyard was concentrating on rosé: not my first choice. In fact he also produces a rather good red: unusually (for NZ) based on Malbec, with Merlot and Cabernet. He professes to make little money from it... but not a bad lifestyle.

Last edited:
^ do you mean 'down' as in south, rather than 'up' the road from Languedoc ? Côtes du Roussillon ? Probably some Syrah in there which may be why you like it so much ?
I'm sure I would find a large wine fair baffling: how do you stumble into these worthy characters ?
Yes, ‘down’ if you are holding the map the right way up. ‘Up’ in the sense of it being a chore as the road is the A9. About as much fun to drive on as the M6 through the Black Country, but with added heat and dust.

I really think it might have been Jancis that alerted me to Domaine Jorel, perhaps here...
https://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/grenache-ripe-for-re-evaluation
...although my memory may be playing tricks re Wetherspoons. That could have been Victoria Moore. And Henri Wintermans. And Heineken of course, Victoria isn’t a big Stella fan.

I think I’ll drop Manuel a line, I’d like to try a few more bottles of his wine.

I was looking to buy some wine from xtrawine.com
based in Italy I believe.Bit puzzled though they are adding
an "excise" charge to UK deliveries.
eg,Items€ 108.14 Excise€ 35.52The order's total includes VAT.
I thought you would just pay the rate in the purchasing country ie.nil.

I was looking to buy some wine from xtrawine.com
based in Italy I believe.Bit puzzled though they are adding
an "excise" charge to UK deliveries.
eg,Items€ 108.14 Excise€ 35.52The order's total includes VAT.
I thought you would just pay the rate in the purchasing country ie.nil.

From their conditions of sale
  • all the published prices are included of vat and do not include any taxes, duties applicable in the country of destination different from Italy. These costs vary from country to country, are charged to the customer, who has the burden to verify the amount with the competent customs authorities.
...and there are no extra taxes or duties applicable until the Brexit transition period is finally completed. I would tell them that and see what they say. Some merchants refuse to deliver outside the EU (which we now are) but that’s different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back