1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas Wine

Discussion in 'off topic' started by eternumviti, Dec 24, 2018.

1. twotone

twotone pfm Member

No it’s the tiniest fly sometimes it’s like the bubbles that you get in red wine when you pour the wine into the glass but when the wine settles there’s the smallest tiny fly swimming in the wine in the glass.

2. twotone

twotone pfm Member

lost me here mate it’s a fly in the wine nothing else weird is going on.

3. wacko

wacko pfm Member

I imagine it will be similar to the £15 aerator gadget: gets air into the wine more quickly and wakes it up a bit. Probably easier to use though.
    evasolo have some extraordinary wine glasses too. I wonder how some of MB's more rustic French wine producer friends would describe these Scandinavian designs...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    andrew d likes this.
  4. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

Internet forums are funny old things. I was being hummus. Humous. Whatever. I should have applied some of those smiley things :);):p:rolleyes:o_O

5. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Staying alert

So was I, I think twotone wasn’t attuned to our hummous. I blame the drink.

eternumviti likes this.
  6. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

‘Bof.’ probably. Or something incomprehensible but obviously denigratory in the local patois. eternumviti’s mate in Minervois would probably have taken his bazooka to them.

A friend of mine had some whisky tumblers that were lopsided in all directions. You didn’t really know how much was in them, they were a different shape every time you took a sip and you never managed to put them back flat on the table. People who didn’t have to use them thought they were great.

eternumviti likes this.
  7. fama

fama pfm Member

Congratulations on the svelteness.

8. eternumviti

By all accounts (well, his) he used up all the ammo on the carignan.

9. twotone

twotone pfm Member

So I take it that no one else has experienced a ‘fly’ problem, not even the resident forum comedian, sorry wine expert?

Vinegar flies are one of the winemaker's worst enemies. While red wines are actively fermenting in open-top fermenters, the carbon dioxide emitted is enough to keep flies at bay, but when fermentation ends and gas production subsides, flies in their thousands can land on the skins and taint the wine.27 Feb 2015
    https://www.therealreview.com › wa...
    Waiter, there's a fly in my wine! – The Real Review

10. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

Next time!

11. eternumviti

I do sometimes find that there are expired drosophila (the same vinegar flies I think) in the bottles when I forget to take some wine home and have to go minesweeping amongst the empties for dregs. I find that the slightly chewy texture they impart takes some of the pain off of the vinegary edge.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  12. fama

fama pfm Member

Were you listening to Jimi or Kylie at the
    time?
    Researchers discovered that a blast of Jimi Hendrix enhanced cabernet sauvignon while Kylie Minogue went well with chardonnay.

13. twotone

twotone pfm Member

My flies are still living, I'm beginning to think that they're in the bottles and when the corks are drawn they come out or at least one of them does.

I've drunk red wine for about 45 years and it's only in the past year that I've noticed this issue and it's been relatively rare ie about maybe four times, most of the wine we buy, probably about 90% of it, is from Aldi.

I wonder if some of their red wine suppliers are a wee bit dodgy?

The wine last night was an Australian Merlot, 2018 I think without checking the bottle.

14. eternumviti

Aldi use corks!?

15. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Aye it's about 50-50 but the one last night was a screw cap.

16. eternumviti

I'm usually driven to minesweeping when I listen to Kate Bush. As for the variety, it is often not possible to allocate a colour, let alone the grape. In order to get enough to drown out the squawking Kate it is necessary to create a sort of field blend, red, white, with and without flies.

17. fama

fama pfm Member

What's everyone drinking?

Le Pigeoulet thanks to the Big man.

With vegan Bolognese.

eternumviti likes this.
  18. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

Tesco blueberry lemonade with a fair bit of mint, extra blueberries, ice, and a generous pour of gin.

19. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Cheapo CdRV (Visan 2015, 5€) with the saucisses aux lentilles. When I’ve finished the Rochefort, obvs.

20. eternumviti

Nothing yet. I'm going to try this sample of a still relatively rare 'bio' wine from Bordeaux, replete with trendily stripped down étiquette, with a rib-eye & salad.

[​IMG]