advertisement

Trump Part 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
ECBGuEP.png

Abusing plebes in military school?

I said in an earlier post that the Trump phenomenon could only be understood as a cult. Mrs. Tones just pointed out the existence of this article:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/202...p-his-rallies-are-church-and-he-is-the-gospel

Shocking but not surprising. It's on the long side but worth reading to see just how batshit crazy Trump people are.

We don't know how many people the writer spoke to to find the people he quotes but the fact he found even one person with those views is disturbing enough. I would wonder why the US seems so vulnerable to this stuff, but then my mother in law, who is by no means far right, is chock full of all kinds of conspiracy nonsense. She's a very bright woman so it's not stupidity, which leaves mental/emotional health as the most likely explanation. I think it also fills a vacuum in some people's lives.

It's partly because the US is full of religious fundamentalists, and partly because Trump wants his followers to believe that he is the Chosen One, and that therefore anyone opposing him is EVIL. Thus any means of defeating such opponents is fair, however unethical/illegal/dangerous. It also gives him a ready-made excuse if he loses ('these EVIL people sabotaged the election'), which doesn't bode well post-election.

The trouble is that we've had at least 5 years now of "It's a cult!" takes in response to anything politically novel and you'd have to say that it hasn't really advanced mainstream understanding of what's actually happening. Trump's a cult, Brexit's a cult, Corbyn's a cult. Moratorium please.

Reactions: vuk
I don't think Trump is a cult, so much as an unprincipled, amoral chancer who'll ride any bandwagon going, whoever's driving it. NRA? KKK? Q-Anon? Bible Fundamentalists? They're all grist to the mill. Trump's nod and a wink ('I'm not say I agree with these people, but they have some good ideas') at the same time enables him to attract supporters from such groups, and allows sort-of deniability if things go badly wrong.

More worrying is his willingness to subvert the legal system, but it looks like the US judiciary is still sufficiently independent to tell him to go suck a lemon. Plus he's not even half-way bright enough to understand a) how the system works and b) how to subvert it.

They obviously missed The Rapture. I dunno; you wait ages for an end-of-the-world event, then three roll up at once.

This is the kind of underestimation that worries me about the commentariat. The cult thing is just a way for nice lefty, centrist & liberal people to find some separation between “us” & “them”. Energies are best spent first targeting the fascists who are discreetly In the open behind them whipping these people up. Pls scrape out any last shred of naivete or incredulity ppl might have about this.

Good article here about how infiltration in poplar culture and nerd culture works by someone who infiltrated various fash subcultures. They also wrote The Rhetoric Tricks, Traps, and Tactics of White Nationalism as a follow up (both are about a 10 minute read each).

Know your target, don’t waste ammo on collateral. They can be mopped up later.

Last edited:
I like that theres was no, I am 18 tick box on the Tulsa ticket signup webpage. So Paracale has broken data protection laws by collecting data from minors. $18,000 fine per instance..

The trouble is that we've had at least 5 years now of "It's a cult!" takes in response to anything politically novel and you'd have to say that it hasn't really advanced mainstream understanding of what's actually happening. Trump's a cult, Brexit's a cult, Corbyn's a cult. Moratorium please.

just a few months ago, i was also told here that bernie was a cult.

Presumably every Trump supporter owns at least one firearm and many of those will be fully automatic.
If he loses he'll chuck everything out of the pram.
It doesn't bode well.

just a few months ago, i was also told here that bernie was a cult.
Of course! There’s no other possible explanation for why anyone would support a position other than Actually Things Can’t Get Better F___ You.

Presumably every Trump supporter owns at least one firearm and many of those will be fully automatic.
If he loses he'll chuck everything out of the pram.
It doesn't bode well.

In particular, the South will rise again, with Mar a Lago the capital of the 'new Confederacy.' Biden had best not shy from the use of force early. Don't give them time to consolidate resistance like the last time. I hope to gosh he has a group working on how to win a civil war already.

I don't think Brexit, Corbyn-ism or Bernie Bros are cults but rather just people with whom I disagree to a greater or lesser extent and often on foundational issues that teak people's motivated reasoning. I would though say that the GOP is increasingly cult-like and that this predates Trump who is more a symptom of the cult than a cause. I don't think this is an unreasonable view and in fact quite a widely held one for which there are good arguments. See here for example.

Where I think it's relevant to the UK is with respect to the Tories who have very obviously learnt from the GOP that you can get away with acting in outrageous bad faith and just simply say what you want to be true regardless of the reality. And, of course, in both the US and the UK the media has had a vary hard time dealing with this and, worse, rather impaled itself on the idea that facts require balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back