advertisement

The PFM Produce and Share a Zine

@Lefty You are welcome!! The more I do small projects, the easier it is becoming to put together a body of work, and the more time and effort goes into shooting for the theme, rather than tried to create one perfectly composed landscape shot! I'm finding that it is actually opening my eyes to more subjects, and I'm finding a lot more to photograph that is within walking (hobbling) distance from my house.

33 pages though and 22 images, starting to be a book not a zine!! Bet there is scope for culling........

@Lefty You are welcome!! The more I do small projects, the easier it is becoming to put together a body of work, and the more time and effort goes into shooting for the theme, rather than tried to create one perfectly composed landscape shot! I'm finding that it is actually opening my eyes to more subjects, and I'm finding a lot more to photograph that is within walking (hobbling) distance from my house.

33 pages though and 22 images, starting to be a book not a zine!! Bet there is scope for culling........

Yes - even the act of collating images for this project has shown me that it needn't be difficult. Also, images which you may dismiss when looked at individually, could turn out to work very well in a body of work. I'm hoping that the next zone could be something for which I could draw images more locally.

As to the length, it almost felt like there were too few images! I guess I am thinking more along the lines of a book. Indeed, I was aiming for a length which would allow me to produce a zine which uses 'perfect binding' but think I have fallen short.

Are the rest of you adding any written text or are your zines just going to be images?

Are the rest of you adding any written text or are your zines just going to be images?

Adding text is entirely up to you, some zines have captioned images, others a word or phrase, and some have a page or two of written material. It's your choice!

Mine doesn't have any text other than the section titles. I did consider adding image titles but decided against it.

OK. I'm at the editing stage before turning my word doc into a pdf and am aiming to be off to the printer by the end of the week.

How many of us are joining in with this, just to check I order enough copies?

Kevin

OK. I'm at the editing stage before turning my word doc into a pdf and am aiming to be off to the printer by the end of the week.

How many of us are joining in with this, just to check I order enough copies?

Kevin

Saturday 20th was the last commitment date for those wishing to participate, this is two weeks away, I think we should start adding out names to a list

@Mr Perceptive
@kjb

Count me in - mine's ready to go :)

Would be great to see others get involved. It's not that difficult and is hugely fun

Got a photography project on the go?

Got a set of photos that tell a story?

Why not publish them in a Zine and share with a group of PFMers

This is a thread to get people printing and publishing their work, what you produce and how is up to you.

Thanks for the heads up!

I printed a photo book on Blurb once but it was expensive and I had been thinking about a cheaper alternative; their fixed size/format magazine doesn't offer much flexibility apart from the page count and paper quality.
These printing services you linked are impressive.

Its up to you!!

Are you taking part in our zine exchange?

I may but it will take a long while.
Need to decide on the subject, get the photos sorted then work on the layout. Nowadays the kids are sharing my computer for their school work so there isn't much time left for me to use it...

Why don't we make this a twice yearly thing - that will give different people a chance to join in which might well be easier for some post lockdown.

I've enjoyed working on mine but am lucky that I've currently got the time to do it as all of my education consultancy work is on hold.

Most of my photos are horizontal but I don't like the horizontal format unless it's in a very large format (i.e. A3).
The square is an acceptable compromise but still not quite to my liking, and I'm not particularly fond of double-page spreads either.
Difficult choice...

There's alway the Photo Poche / Photofile option of rotating horizontal images but it only works with a single image per double page:

9780500411117_in2_marc-riboud_a.jpg

Most of my photos are horizontal but I don't like the horizontal format unless it's in a very large format (i.e. A3).
The square is an acceptable compromise but still not quite to my liking, and I'm not particularly fond of double-page spreads either.
Difficult choice...

There's alway the Photo Poche / Photofile option of rotating horizontal images but it only works with a single image per double page:

Try a square zine then horizontal images will work

Difficult choice...

Bert Hardy?

advertisement

Back