advertisement

The PFM Produce and Share a Zine

Mr Perceptive

Perceptive Member
(Now I’ve stolen this idea from another forum, but it worked fantastically well, and was a great photographic project)

Got a photography project on the go?

Got a set of photos that tell a story?

Why not publish them in a Zine and share with a group of PFMers

This is a thread to get people printing and publishing their work, what you produce and how is up to you.

The group that I was in published a diverse collection of zines, and not only was it a lot of fun to make a zine (and quite satisfying seeing your images in a booklet), but it was also great to receive zines through the post from the other group members. Our complete collection below:-

T6lnmB8h.jpg

What is a Zine? A zine is a short, small format magazine, generally it is a small circulation, self-published work. For this PFM challenge it is a collection of your photos edited together into a magazine or small booklet. Self-published does not necessarily mean self-printed, you can print yourself or you can send your work off to a printing service. For this group a zine isn't just an album or portfolio of your favourite photos or pictures of your family, the aim is to put together a booklet with images that are the product of a project or shot as a coherent set.

The idea of this challenge is that you sign up here and commit to producing a zine and posting it to all the other people in this zine group, everyone has to cover their own printing and postage costs and in return gets a fantastic zine collection from the other members of the group. The target date for posting out your zines is Saturday 13th July 2020 with Saturday the 20th June 2020 as a last date for people to commit which gives 3 weeks for printing etc.

It is recommended that your zine be around A5 paper size and contain around 12-16 pages. Remember that you have to print and post it so you might want to check postage costs for various sizes. It's also worth pointing out that you are going to have to share your address via PM with the other PFM members so that they can post their zines to you.

Sign-up, chat, banter, progress reports, questions and queries can all be posted in this thread.

You don't need to decide right now, but I can already envisage some great zines from forum members as many of you have already shown images over a period of time in the PAW threads that could be put together as a body of work.

Making a zine:-

Taking the photos is the easy part! Curating them into a collection is much more challenging, what to keep, what to discard, are they up to the same standard, do I need to re-shoot any of them?

Then there are the zine decisions:-
  • How big should my zine be?
  • What format, landscape/portrait format, colour or mono or both?
  • How much text?
  • Then the layout, one image per page?
  • Which images look good opposite each other on a spread?
Zines, can be put together using a variety of tools, most of them are a printed PDF, so any tool that generates a PDF can be used. Popular Tools include OpenOffice, Word, Scribus and Desktop Publishing applications. The important thing to remember is that if you are printing a colour zine then the printer will likely want the material in CMYK format rather than the RGB formats that most computers work with, so make sure whatever tools you use can generate to required format.

My first monochrome zine had the images edited in Lightroom and exported as JPGs, I then built the Zine within Microsoft Word, printed as a PDF and uploaded to the printers site. I did a draft proof run of a single zine print (cost about a fiver), checked that, before getting 10 copies printed (cost about £15). Then with the cost of envelopes and postage, the whole project cost about £27.

I was now hooked, I immediately started on a second zine, shot the images over a period of 2 weeks, and yesterday laid out the first pass, and uploaded a trial zine to a printer, a different printer this time who makes a trial 16 page colour zine and sends it back to you for less than £2.

For the colour zine, I invested in Affinity Publisher (currently on offer at £25), as this will work in CMYK. I processed the images in Lightroom, then converted them in photoshop to CMYK, before building a CMYK zine in Affinity Publisher. This has then been exported as a PDF and uploaded to the printer. If I decide to print this zine, then printing on 170gsm silk paper, with a 300gsm laminated cover will cost about £25 for 10 copies, but the more copies the cheaper it becomes (at 50 copies they become less than a pound each)

Some helpful links

Printers
www.doxdirect.com
www.mixam.com

Youtube, there are hundreds of zine videos, but these are some I used.

I've got an idea for mine. How many images would you say you need? Getting a coherent set of images together isn't easy!

I've got an idea for mine. How many images would you say you need? Getting a coherent set of images together isn't easy!

Probably 1.5-2x the number of images in your final publication!! Once you start putting them in order, and looking at how images interact between left and right pages on a spread, you start culling, its not an immediate process, sometimes you can spend days going back to your selection!!!

My first zine had 36 images put aside, of which I used 18, my second zine has 29 put aside and in my first proof I've used 14

Its possibly easier if you only have an image on the right hand page of a spread and words on the left hand page, as you are only displaying one image at a time. A lot of photobooks do this, for this very reason, but whats the fun in that!

Thanks for the info David. I have plenty of photo books here from which I can draw inspiration for layout etc.

The trouble will come in finding a sufficient number of coherent images which work and flow together. The trouble is I tend to work on single images and never think of taking photos as a set. It's just now how I think / work as I find it too restrictive. That said, I know the next step is doing just this. Individual images are a bit wham, bam thank you ma'am and not very satisfying. This will be very challenging for me but worthwhile.

I have Affinity Designer - I presume Publisher is the better option though?

Thanks for the info David. I have plenty of photo books here from which I can draw inspiration for layout etc.

The trouble will come in finding a sufficient number of coherent images which work and flow together. The trouble is I tend to work on single images and never think of taking photos as a set. It's just now how I think / work as I find it too restrictive. That said, I know the next step is doing just this. Individual images are a bit wham, bam thank you ma'am and not very satisfying. This will be very challenging for me but worthwhile.

I have Affinity Designer - I presume Publisher is the better option though?

Amar, no idea about Designer as opposed to Publisher, but Publisher allows you to set Master Templates for each section therefore maintaining some sort of consistency. That said with Mixam it seems to want you to load each page separately as a PDF, as opposed to doxdirect which takes a full booklet PDF

My first zine was from images culled over several years (Dinorwic, no real surprise there, but some images were rejected as they didn't fit the format, so didn't even make the first cut!), for the second zine, I went out one day and shot some images, and then thought I can put these together in a zine, this resulted in a further 5 trips out (in the same location) to capture more images. I found it put a real focus on the image making when you went out with a purpose, I certainly seem to frame images better, and came back having only taken a small number of shots but had lots of images that fitted into the project.

There is lots to learn here (and I'm still learning!)

Amar, no idea about Designer as opposed to Publisher, but Publisher allows you to set Master Templates for each section therefore maintaining some sort of consistency. That said with Mixam it seems to want you to load each page separately as a PDF, as opposed to doxdirect which takes a full booklet PDF

My first zine was from images culled over several years (Dinorwic, no real surprise there, but some images were rejected as they didn't fit the format, so didn't even make the first cut!), for the second zine, I went out one day and shot some images, and then thought I can put these together in a zine, this resulted in a further 5 trips out (in the same location) to capture more images. I found it put a real focus on the image making when you went out with a purpose, I certainly seem to frame images better, and came back having only taken a small number of shots but had lots of images that fitted into the project.

There is lots to learn here (and I'm still learning!)

Thanks for the info David.

The problem with a lot of the stuff I shoot is it's either in exotic (for me) locations or shot locally but in exotic conditions. As you've witnessed first hand, I'm usually in headless chicken mode when I'm out shooting and trying to make the most of what's in front of me - lol! Unfortunately, that style of shooting isn't conducive to putting together a visually consistent set of images. Having said that, I'm thinking I might have enough images linked by a common theme / subject. The trick will be in curating them in a visually coherent way. Lots to think about...

Thanks for the info David.

The problem with a lot of the stuff I shoot is it's either in exotic (for me) locations or shot locally but in exotic conditions. As you've witnessed first hand, I'm usually in headless chicken mode when I'm out shooting and trying to make the most of what's in front of me - lol! Unfortunately, that style of shooting isn't conducive to putting together a visually consistent set of images. Having said that, I'm thinking I might have enough images linked by a common theme / subject. The trick will be in curating them in a visually coherent way. Lots to think about...

I think that sometimes more mundane subjects make good zines, the ones that I have received, encompassed a number of subjects:-

13 seconds - 13 one second ICM images taken on a daily walk over a period of time.
Fellsides - images of Cumbrian hillsides, not typical photographer shots
Phragmites - close in crop shots - in fields!!
Sentimental Mercenaries - Re-inactment shots
Waking the dog - Paths of Cheshire

While these may seem mundane, when the images are together there is a more cohesive narrative. My favourite though was Tin Can Selfies, this comprised building a pinhole module that was inserted into tin cans, the cans having a pre-drilled pinhole in them. The cans were then positioned in front of a curved few props, and a selfie taken, an absolutely genius idea and very well executed. https://www.instagram.com/tincanselfies/

I can see bus stops of Milton Keynes, or roundabouts!!!!

The monochrome group I belong to publishes a 'zine' every few months. Each member gets 2 pages and so can generally show 4 landscape or two larger portrait images, or a mix. One member collates and indexes it, and we use Blurb to print them. We generally get a few extras printed for non-members too. They work out a few pounds each. Good way to showcase work, and it's nice to see stuff on paper.

I think that sometimes more mundane subjects make good zines, the ones that I have received, encompassed a number of subjects:-

13 seconds - 13 one second ICM images taken on a daily walk over a period of time.
Fellsides - images of Cumbrian hillsides, not typical photographer shots
Phragmites - close in crop shots - in fields!!
Sentimental Mercenaries - Re-inactment shots
Waking the dog - Paths of Cheshire

While these may seem mundane, when the images are together there is a more cohesive narrative. My favourite though was Tin Can Selfies, this comprised building a pinhole module that was inserted into tin cans, the cans having a pre-drilled pinhole in them. The cans were then positioned in front of a curved few props, and a selfie taken, an absolutely genius idea and very well executed. https://www.instagram.com/tincanselfies/

I can see bus stops of Milton Keynes, or roundabouts!!!!

Really like the tin can selfies idea - genius indeed!

I'm thinking may have enough material to flesh out an idea I have in my head. Need to start 'story-boarding' to see if it will work. If not, maybe well have to resort to roundabouts of Milton Keynes! :D

I'd find the prospect of going from Zero to a full zine a bit daunting...Jems format, without making any judgement as to which is a superior artistic statement, does have the advantage of easing total newbies in...
Having said all that, interesting idea and am interested.

Intriguing idea. I've yet to see if I can string any kind of narrative from the things I take pics of...

I'd find the prospect of going from Zero to a full zine a bit daunting...Jems format, without making any judgement as to which is a superior artistic statement, does have the advantage of easing total newbies in...
Having said all that, interesting idea and am interested.

Its not as daunting as you first think, zines orginated as very amateur affairs and its only really the advent of desktop publishing that has made them more 'professional' but they can be very simple and contain little or no text, and be a simple as something like 8 images - perhaps 12 pages in total (so thats only one a week between now and the deadline!!) - initially I think the difficult part is getting a set of images together, but both of you have posted images in the past that could easily be grouped perhaps with others into a zine - and at the end of the day its only a bit of fun!

Just received my first colour test zine from Mixam, very pleased with the quality of the colour rendition (especially considering the price!), so onwards now in developing the zine further. I'm happy I've proved my method of CMYK colour reproduction.

I'd be up for this. It seem a good way to collate and sequence pictures - and both more fun and better value than the photobox soft cover A5 that I've used before.

Kevin

I'd be up for this. It seem a good way to collate and sequence pictures - and both more fun and better value than the photobox soft cover A5 that I've used before.

Kevin

Excellent! Having a look at your instagram, I think I've got a reasonable idea of what your zone might be. Looking forward to seeing it materialise :)

Excellent! Having a look at your instagram, I think I've got a reasonable idea of what your zone might be. Looking forward to seeing it materialise :)

Quite a lot of those pics are in response to project I'm taking part of via the Museum of Modern Art, Oxford called Activating Our Archives. As a keen amateur I feel a little out of my depth on it tbh - nearly everyone else has come at it from art/photo/design degrees or MA's and many have already published or been in shows of one sort or another. Some of their work is fantastic. We're working towards an exhibition of some sort once the current restrictions lift.

My zine idea is more around a response to this:

https://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/T/bo13345214.html

The key idea is that exploring a familiar and enclose space can be just as interesting as venturing outside. I'll probably stick to B&W for simplicities she for my first attempt.

I'm taking some different shots looking only at things which are in 4 rooms in my house but which, in approach, are a cross between abstracts and "indoor street photography". If nothing else doing a zine will give me something to work on when I pick up my camera and feel frustrated there is so little to photograph.

Kevin

Quite a lot of those pics are in response to project I'm taking part of via the Museum of Modern Art, Oxford called Activating Our Archives. As a keen amateur I feel a little out of my depth on it tbh - nearly everyone else has come at it from art/photo/design degrees or MA's and many have already published or been in shows of one sort or another. Some of their work is fantastic. We're working towards an exhibition of some sort once the current restrictions lift.

My zine idea is more around a response to this:

https://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/T/bo13345214.html

The key idea is that exploring a familiar and enclose space can be just as interesting as venturing outside. I'll probably stick to B&W for simplicities she for my first attempt.

I'm taking some different shots looking only at things which are in 4 rooms in my house but which, in approach, are a cross between abstracts and "indoor street photography". If nothing else doing a zine will give me something to work on when I pick up my camera and feel frustrated there is so little to photograph.

Kevin

Ah I see. Judging by the output and the interesting theme you have come up with both for this project and 'Activating our Archives' I'd say you certainly have something valuable to contribute!

The problem I'm finding, as someone who has been shooting individual images rather than working on a specific body of work, is that coming up with a theme can be a bit contrived. As such, I've decided to keep mine simple and focus on collating images I've collected on my visits to The Lake District over the past 4 years. I've grouped the book into sections based on the area in The Lake District in which the images were taken and have organised the images in such a way that they hopefully flow and sit together with other visually similar images.

I've actually finished putting together my first draft! (33 pages, 3 sections and 22 images) I started on Monday and was instantly hooked. Probably the most excited I've been about photography in a while to tell the truth and have come up with ideas for other zines in the process. I will definitely be doing more of these!

Thanks for posting this @Mr Perceptive :)

advertisement

Back