advertisement

The PFM Produce and Share a Zine

Mine's off for printing via Mixam. It should be with me within a week. I went low tech in the end, A4 magazine format, 16 pages, 200g paper, black and white.

If you DM your addresses I'll mail them up as soon as they're ready - assuming there are no problems with the print.

Kevin

Mine's off for printing via Mixam. It should be with me within a week. I went low tech in the end, A4 magazine format, 16 pages, 200g paper, black and white.

If you DM your addresses I'll mail them up as soon as they're ready - assuming there are no problems with the print.

Kevin

Before we exchange addresses, the closing date for participants was the 20th, can we wait until then, and then we can have a complete list, you then have 3 weeks to get your Zine printed and distributed.

I thought it was the 19th today o_O - I’m seriously losing track of time while I’m not doing any work.

Do you compensate the black? How much?

I haven't done anything specific. I create in the images in Lightroom, then edit in Photoshop where I convert to the CMYK Profile, the black compensation box is just ticked by default, so I have left it as is, then I save the image as a TIFF. In Affinity Publisher I import the images, resize and layout.

I'm surely going to make one but it will take some time because the kids are sharing my computer for school work. I probably won't make the 3 week deadline...

Also, still trying to decide whether to use more recent stuff or photos from my travels in the late '90s and early '00s. Editing (choosing) photos is a difficult job.

I haven't done anything specific. I create in the images in Lightroom, then edit in Photoshop where I convert to the CMYK Profile, the black compensation box is just ticked by default, so I have left it as is, then I save the image as a TIFF. In Affinity Publisher I import the images, resize and layout.

I haven't done it (prepare for print) in years, it's nice to have a "black compensation" option when you convert to CMYK.

Are you confident that Affinity Publisher's resize algorithm is as good as Photoshop's?
Also, I find that if one reduces the size by a large factor the White Point (and sometimes the Black Point) needs adjusting, particularly with black and white images.

I haven't done it (prepare for print) in years, it's nice to have a "black compensation" option when you convert to CMYK.

Are you confident that Affinity Publisher's resize algorithm is as good as Photoshop's?
Also, I find that if one reduces the size by a large factor the White Point (and sometimes the Black Point) needs adjusting, particularly with black and white images.

Affinity have a photo application so publisher probably uses the same algorithm, I’m not going to compare, I’ve had a trial zine printed with publisher and it looks fine

Can we assemble a final list today:-

Definite

@Mr Perceptive
@kjb
@Lefty

Showed Interest - are you committing ??

@tuga
@ff1d1l
@JemHayward

A possible for the next Zine exchange

@eternumviti
@martin clark

Could those in the middle section decide which camp they are in (please)

3 weeks from today to send out zines within the group exchange

So no responses from the middle section, so by the end of today I'll start the address exchange.

My Zine is ready to go off to Mixam, so will be back next week.

Mine's being delivered today. Im going to be interested to see what the quality is like. For ease, value and customisation, not to mention the ability to share, it may well become a regular alternative to more formal hardback photobooks.

@Mr Perceptive - I'm having an absolute mare with the color management on Affinity Publisher. I've converted all of my images to the Gracol CMYK standard you mentioned and have been trying to export as a PDF. The images looks fine when converted and exported from Photoshop and also when placed in Affinity Publisher. However, when exported to PDF, the colours are off. This is despite me setting the document to the same colour space in the 'Document Setup' panel and applying the correct setting in the 'More' panel in the Export menu. Also, the colours looks fine when exporting as JPEGs. May I ask how you went about exporting as a PDF from Publisher?

@Mr Perceptive - I'm having an absolute mare with the color management on Affinity Publisher. I've converted all of my images to the Gracol CMYK standard you mentioned and have been trying to export as a PDF. The images looks fine when converted and exported from Photoshop and also when placed in Affinity Publisher. However, when exported to PDF, the colours are off. This is despite me setting the document to the same colour space in the 'Document Setup' panel and applying the correct setting in the 'More' panel in the Export menu. Also, the colours looks fine when exporting as JPEGs. May I ask how you went about exporting as a PDF from Publisher?

Love a bit of colour management...its a complete time bandit - stealing your time away and sapping at your soul.......

First question is how are you viewing the pdf?

I've just done a test, and exported a page as a pdf from Affinity with an image that has given me nightmares when printing - On the same (calibrated monitors), I have opened that pdf in

Acrobat Pro DC
Photoshop
Microsoft Edge
Google Chrome

In Acrobat and Photoshop, the colours are teh same as when I created it in Photoshop/imported it into Affinity.

However in both Chrome and Edge, they are different - and different to each other

Does that help or has that increased the world of confusion.

Love a bit of colour management...its a complete time bandit - stealing your time away and sapping at your soul.......

First question is how are you viewing the pdf?

I've just done a test, and exported a page as a pdf from Affinity with an image that has given me nightmares when printing - On the same (calibrated monitors), I have opened that pdf in

Acrobat Pro DC
Photoshop
Microsoft Edge
Google Chrome

In Acrobat and Photoshop, the colours are teh same as when I created it in Photoshop/imported it into Affinity.

However in both Chrome and Edge, they are different - and different to each other

Does that help or has that increased the world of confusion.

Haha - glad it's not just me who has a headache with it!

So I've just opened it in all of the above and the only one it looks correct in is Photoshop. That also showed the correct colour space on opening, which makes me think that the others aren't reading the embedded colour profile correctly? Not sure what this means for when it goes off to print.

FWIW, I've tried MANY different combinations of export settings (all with the same results) But these are my most recent:

50052773843_dda5d8b7f0_c.jpg

@Lefty

Mine is as yours except my Colour Space is As Document, and ICC Profile is Use Document Profile

In My Document Setup, Color Format is CMYK/8 and Colour Profile is Coated GRACol 2006 (ISO 12647-2.2004)

advertisement

Back