advertisement

Would you sign up to be tracked?

Would you sign up for Covid 19 contact tracing

• Total voters
So no need for an app then, given how well they are doing.
It’s testing where they are so much better than us. Are you not concerned about privacy issues with contact tracking? Done en masse it’s much the same as an app in terms of privacy...just more manual / human based - it might even more susceptible to abuse.

Germany used geo location data/shared diaries etc. and genome sequencing initially. Currently their death toll is relatively low as they are and since the initial tracing of their patient 0 have been testing way more than we are. The German government is looking at a Smartphone app to track people.

I'd prefer to be alive with some of my data stored and accessible somewhere (as if it isn't already, lol...) than dead because one form of mitigation had been ruled out by a bunch of paranoid old guys on a hifi & music forum who may, sadly, be representative of the wider UK population. I'm fine with an app, obviously.

It’s testing where they are so much better than us. Are you not concerned about privacy issues with contact tracking? Done en masse it’s much the same as an app in terms of privacy...just more manual / human based - it might even more susceptible to abuse.
I'm not concerned at all with manual tracing nor would I be bothered with AI via an app so long as it was anonymous. There's a big difference between telling authorities where you've been and giving them permission to monitor your every move.

So much of ones life can already be easily tracked. In some cases folk don’t use sensible precautions. It would not take much upscaling to do what’s asked. It just depends on the type and device.

Principle - can I be assured it will be used for its intended purpose, and not further abused - that’s the question?

Last edited:
I'd prefer to be alive with some of my data stored and accessible somewhere (as if it isn't already, lol...) than dead because one form of mitigation had been ruled out by a bunch of paranoid old guys on a hifi & music forum who may, sadly, be representative of the wider UK population. I'm fine with an app, obviously.
I’m with you. Those that are paranoid might be right but being dead right isn’t much good.

The world has changed quite a bit over the last 3 months, and in the UK particularly so in the last 6 weeks. I'm surprised that some people haven't yet picked up on this.

The world has changed quite a bit over the last 3 months, and in the UK particularly so in the last 6 weeks. I'm surprised that some people haven't yet picked up on this.
I do fully appreciate there's a certain 'needs must' attached to the situation but I've been around long enough to see opportunists, chancers and people of an authoritarian bent seize opportunities such as this for nefarious ends. The apparent 'option' for ministers to be able to de anonymise I found profoundly unsettling, what for? Immediately sprung to mind....

I'd prefer to be alive with some of my data stored and accessible somewhere (as if it isn't already, lol...) than dead because one form of mitigation had been ruled out by a bunch of paranoid old guys on a hifi & music forum who may, sadly, be representative of the wider UK population.

Trouble is people think that a SAFE EFFECTIVE vaccine will be around in 12/18 months.

Historically, the average vaccine took 10-15 years to create, Professor Robin May, an expert in infectious diseases based at University of Birmingham, tells HuffPost UK. “So if we can get this down to 12-18 months – I mean that’s cold comfort at the moment, but it’s still an extraordinary acceleration of pace.

Seventeen years after the severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) outbreak and seven years since the first Middle East respiratory syndrome (Mers) case, there is still no coronavirus vaccine despite dozens of attempts to develop them.

Then how effective is the flu vaccine that we have been using since 1938.

U.S. vaccine effectiveness by start year:[25][26][27]
2004 10%
2005 21%
2006 52%
2007 37%
2008 41%
2009 56%
2010 60%
2011 47%
2012 49%
2013 52%
2014 19%
2015 48%
2016 40%
2017 38%
2018 29%
2019 45% est

Seventeen years after the severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) outbreak and seven years since the first Middle East respiratory syndrome (Mers) case, there is still no coronavirus vaccine despite dozens of attempts to develop them.

That's a bit disingenuous as in all cases funding was withdrawn as the emergencies had passed before the vaccines could be tested.

That's a bit disingenuous as in all cases funding was withdrawn as the emergencies had passed before the vaccines could be tested.

I am aware of that. I am also aware that some of the research done back then is being used to help with the current research.
If the current C19 crisis abates will funding be withdrawn for this also ?

You may see it as disingenuous but it remains a true fact.

i use a 2 g nokia phone , don`t think it even has the internet let alone apps !!:)

Tracking is via the Gsm base stations. They have your number.

...as they do for all of us. Unless you do not carry a mobile device, in which case, you should be looking into the new AI-based personal aura tracking technology. It's scary.

I would agree to be tracked. I live the life of a hermit in any case, so the lockdown has made absolutely no difference! I am not going to be caught in bed with my best friend's partner ...

The problem might be my very ancient Nokia phone, which only does TXTs and calls.

I definitely cannot afford a fancy smartphone ...

Interestingly I know and like our local Police, who seem to like calling in on our petrol station and having a little "correctly socially distanced" chat. They know where I live and wave as I walk to and from work. In current times I find their presence reassuring ...

I think our obsession with privacy is itself a little odd. If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear. If needs must then it will be compulsory anyway in time. I also have my doubts about some of the more optimistic timescales for a vaccine that is sufficiently effective to prevent Covid 19 going on for the foreseeable future, just like the flu and cold viruses. Only somewhat more deadly for certain people. It will be fine to make it extinct in some territories at some point in time. Quite possible for New Zealand for example. But unless all international air-transport, and shipping is permanently shut down there is absolutely no chance of it being extinguished across the globe.

We still have not entirely eliminated Polio for example.

Best wishes from George

Last edited:
...I think our obsession with privacy is itself a little odd. If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear. If needs must then it will be compulsory anyway in time. I also have my doubts about some of the more optimistic timescales for a vaccine that is sufficiently effective to prevent Covid 19 going on for the foreseeable future, just like the flu and cold viruses. Only somewhat more deadly for certain people. It will be fine to make it extinct in some territories at some point in time. Quite possible for New Zealand for example. But unless all international air-transport, and shipping is permanently shut down there is absolutely no chance of it being extinguished across the globe....

Best wishes from George
Many people have done something they don't want the neighbours to know. Before Boris a minister would have been forced to resign when caught out having an affair. Governments using selective prosecution against opposition parties is a big problem across the democratic world.
Here on BFM a few members might secretly possess Barry Manilow CDs

I am aware of that. I am also aware that some of the research done back then is being used to help with the current research.
If the current C19 crisis abates will funding be withdrawn for this also ?

You may see it as disingenuous but it remains a true fact.

It may be a fact, but I see it as disingenuous due to the wording as it implies they could not be developed whereas they could, but it was felt there was no need any longer so the work stopped.

To answer your question I suspect it would... money comes first!

advertisement

Back