advertisement

Would you sign up to be tracked?

Would you sign up for Covid 19 contact tracing

• Total voters
IIRC this is one reason South Korea are so far ahead of us in handling the pandemic, they brought this technology in right at the start. I suspect it is too little too late here, but I’d have no issue in using it (not that it would be much use to anyone as I’m in full isolation).

No.

I rarely use my mobile for anything but calls/texts and have bluetooth off, as well as mobile data mostly never used.

Reactions: bob
How anonymous is the data, can somebody in the USA at the main servers identify who was in a cabinet meeting at No10?.
Having this sort of data stray beyond national boundaries should be a big problem

Sometimes there are thousands of hack attempts by China and Russia on government IT systems, including those of the MoD, each day. I think we could do without direct links from Waaahway smartphones directly into government systems. For example.

Watched some doctor scientist type on the TV the other night and he was saying this virus will be around for 12 to 18 months before something is available to combat it.

I would say this was just the type of thing that is required and not that far into the pandemic here really if judged on the above time scale.

If you have a mobile I would suggest that the powers that be already know exactly where you are and have been.

Looks like there could be restrictions on people gathering in large numbers for many months to come yet.

Those who refuse to use shouldn't be allowed out...for the greater good and all that. Depending on how the app is designed it may need not mobile data to be on track you as mast triangulation will work.

It is a privacy invasion, although each user would have an anonymous ID, assuming it is a based upon the API jointly developed by Google (for Android) and Apple (for iOS) for contact tracing using Bluetooth: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52246319

It seems entirely proportionate. I would happily use it.

As others have said, it would be of little use right now in the UK, but there will be a second chance in the future.

It is a privacy invasion, although each user would have an anonymous ID, assuming it is a based upon the API jointly developed by Google (for Android) and Apple (for iOS) for contact tracing using Bluetooth: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52246319

It seems entirely proportionate. I would happily use it.

As others have said, it would be of little use right now in the UK, but there will be a second chance in the future.

The reason the app has worked in S Korea is that once someone has been in proximity to an infected person, they are visited by government representatives and 'requested' (forced) to go into self-isolation. This cannot be done anonymous ID and carries a huge overhead for human resource to interpret the data coming in and assigning people to go and deal with it. We're just not set up legally or with the resources to do that.

S Korea has been successful because they've had this sat on the shelf ready to go.

The reason the app has worked in S Korea is that once someone has been in proximity to an infected person, they are visited by government representatives and 'requested' (forced) to go into self-isolation. This cannot be done anonymous ID and carries a huge overhead for human resource to interpret the data coming in and assigning people to go and deal with it. We're just not set up legally or with the resources to do that.

S Korea has been successful because they've had this sat on the shelf ready to go.

This isn't the exactly the same approach as used in South Korea, although the broad aims are the same: to track and trace. The link I posted explains how (I am assuming) the new app would work, and it doesn't involve any government visits. I will summarise:

1. Each user/device has an anonymous ID.
2. As you go out and about, you exchange anonymous IDs with other nearby devices using Bluetooth.
3. When you get Covid-19 symptoms, you tell the app.
4. The app tells the server that your anonymous ID is an infection vector and the server passes this on to other devices. Any that have recently exchanged with the infected anonymous ID will alert their user.

Kind regards

- Garry

advertisement

Back