advertisement

Which part of the (former) UK will rejoin the European Union first?

Which part of the former U.K. will rejoin the European Union first?

• Scotland

Votes: 42 41.2%
  • Northern Ireland

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Wales

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • None

Votes: 30 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mackay resignation 'a calamity' for government

Looks like Sturgeon doesn't have her finger on the pulse.

This is a calamity, without caveat, for Derek Mackay, for the SNP, for the first minister and for the collective Scottish government.

He had been tipped as a possible successor to Nicola Sturgeon. In the event that there might be a vacancy at some point in the future, for whatever reason.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51397833
They won't have enough ministers to organise a touch up in a brewery soon.

This is of course complete Bollocks. In the dim distant past Liverpool were the catholic team and Everton the Protestant team, hence the relationship between Liverpool and Celtic. For all of my 50 years supporting Liverpool religion has never been an issue for the vast majority of supporters, hence the old trope (true) of families having reds and blues in the same house.

This from Wiki

Today there are no evident geographical, political, social or religious divides as in other derbies, although for many years a sectarian divide did exist within the city. It is unclear how (if at all) this influenced the support bases of the two clubs and more recent research has indicated that it was more likely to have been a political allegiance that influenced support.[7] During the 1950s and 1960s Everton became known as the Catholic club mainly as a result of successful Irish players Tommy Eglington, Peter Farrell and Jimmy O'Neill as well as manager Johnny Carey. This in turn caused Liverpool to be thought of as Protestant club, not signing an Irish Catholic until Ronnie Whelan in 1979.[8] However, this notional divide was never seen as a basis for supporting a certain side as is the case with Celtic and Rangers. In truth both teams have strong support from all denominations as well as many fans from Presbyterian North Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland and the Republic of Ireland. Most importantly, the actual clubs themselves did not act to strengthen sectarian divides and in fact both clubs stem from a Methodist origin.

I wonder if Tiggers has had a change of heart about wanting to re-locate to Scotland - not quite the liberal, moral paradise Decamoron would have us believe it is. I recall Decamoron said something about fruit not falling far from the tree.

It took us almost 50 years to lose our independence so another year is not so bad. The EU is an institution that considers further integration and the associated cost above the fact that the small number of states who are making a net contribution are not doing so well financially.

You are obsessed with cost and yet have demonstrated on many occasions that you don't understand it.

You are obsessed with cost and yet have demonstrated on many occasions that you don't understand it.
Time will tell, i don't believe the free spending lectures i have received in the past. My money is on either France or Italy hitting hard times first.

Time will tell, i don't believe the free spending lectures i have received in the past. My money is on either France or Italy hitting hard times first.

That sums you up. Delight in the harm to others and ignoring the very real damage closer to home.

I'm living in France: I fully expect France to have big problems in the coming years also.

No delight there either. I'd much rather France thrived. Brexit is nowt compared to their pension problem. An ageing population and too many people on the dole so the cash is not going to be enough and the plebs are not going to give it up. Massive social security payments to the pension pot are a burden to every company directly. Every month, no getting away from it.

I'm living in France: I fully expect France to have big problems in the coming years also.

No delight there either. I'd much rather France thrived. Brexit is nowt compared to their pension problem. An ageing population and too many people on the dole so the cash is not going to be enough and the plebs are not going to give it up. Massive social security payments to the pension pot are a burden to every company directly. Every month, no getting away from it.
In the UK we winge when they increase the pension age, in France they take to the streets and the government gives in.

In the UK we winge when they increase the pension age, in France they take to the streets and the government gives in.
Thing is, in UK it makes a difference as the pension amount is so low. In France it doesn't even touch the sides. They have no room for manoeuvre elsewhere either, such as introducing company matched private pensions because the companies are already paying 140% of the salary in contributions.

Loss of Empire- loss of status.
Brexit- loss of status
Loss of Union and all within living memory for some.

Loss of Empire- loss of status and wealth.
Brexit- loss of status and wealth.
Loss of Union and all within living memory for some.

advertisement

Back