advertisement

Which part of the (former) UK will rejoin the European Union first?

Which part of the former U.K. will rejoin the European Union first?

• Scotland

Votes: 42 41.2%
  • Northern Ireland

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Wales

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • None

Votes: 30 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheDecameron

Unicorns fart glitter.
This isn’t as clear cut as I’d initially believed, in fact it could be neck and neck but I think Scotland might edge it even with Northern Ireland with its one foot remaining in the EU.

Gone with NI. The Irish Sea customs border will accelerate things I think. But I agree will be close.

If history reverses itself and the Tories take us back to the 17th Century it will go United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland > Kingdom of Great Britain > Kingdom of England, only this time a lot quicker than 900 years.

However, my small wager goes on Scotland first - because the Tories can blame it on the SNP and politically it’s worth less to them than it is Labour, Northern Ireland is still a patriotic symbol to Tory voters so they’ll do more to keep it, and the island of Ireland still needs a referee, for now.

England is in deep trouble when Scotland goes!

UK economy will show that it is prospering before second indy ref is allowed. Scotland will vote no again.

Scotland, unless as already said the UK economy booms. What I think is certain is that this ridiculous song-and-dance lasting 3 years has profoundly irritated the rest of Europe, and that there will be no joining the EU without also adopting the Euro. After all, the UK was never really "in" since the Euro is the main, one could say the only, element of real unification.

Unless the rules change substantially, none will. Currently any joiner has to adopt the Euro as currency and, despite what the loony leavers think, the UK had fantastically advantageous conditions of membership that would never be handed out again.

The cost and logistics of a hard EU border where none has ever existed in the past except Eire/N Ireland (which was MIGHTY porous anyway)?

But rules can change.

If history reverses itself and the Tories take us back to the 17th Century it will go United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland > Kingdom of Great Britain > Kingdom of England, only this time a lot quicker than 900 years.

However, my small wager goes on Scotland first - because the Tories can blame it on the SNP and politically it’s worth less to them than it is Labour, Northern Ireland is still a patriotic symbol to Tory voters so they’ll do more to keep it, and the island of Ireland still needs a referee, for now.

England is in deep trouble when Scotland goes!

The Tory party puts the Tory party first, it doesn’t care about NI.

How many Scottish independence referendums will it take before the electorate give the correct answer?

Are you saying original referendums should stand Colin? I don't think you've supported that position in the past. I don't think it would be desirable but the moral case for allowing Scotland a vote under massively changes circumstances for them is compelling.

I have absolutely no doubt that membership of the EU would have swung the original vote. It is a very big material change to what was on offer to Scots.

Are you saying original referendums should stand Colin? I don't think you've supported that position in the past. I don't think it would be desirable but the moral case for allowing Scotland a vote under massively changes circumstances for them is compelling.

I have absolutely no doubt that membership of the EU would have swung the original vote. It is a very big material change to what was on offer to Scots.
If there was another referendum and the voters got it wrong again that would not settle the argument, within weeks there would be calls for another.

If there was another referendum and the voters got it wrong again that would not settle the argument, within weeks there would be calls for another.

I voted no at the last referendum based on the fact that we (Scotland) would remain in the EU but that was a con by Cameron so I'm now voting for independence for Scotland at any opportunity and if that comes about hopefully we'll become European citizens again but the most important thing now as a Scot is to leave England to it.

And, BTW, my entire family including their partners voted no for the same reasons that I did, that's six people who have now changed their minds and will be voting for independence for Scotland.

How many Scottish independence referendums will it take before the electorate give the correct answer?

Probably one. In the last one the Scots were told that they would be forced to leave the EU and reapply for membership in they voted for independence.

Previously I’d have said Scotland to be first out but Johnson doing the thing he swore no Tory PM would ever do, leaving Northern Ireland behind with a customs border with rUK, will boil that kettle much faster. I’m sure most people imagined the nationalist community would have kicked off, not the loyal Unionists and that we’d have to have waited for the long predicted demographic majority of nationalists to have their reunification referendum. It’s going to be very interesting to watch politics over there this year.

Scotland I think if they get the clearance to vote again I'd say it would be goodbye UK hello Europe, Euro and all. Where I live (SW Scot and borders is, was and probably always will remain a Tory heartland, but amongst these are a huge number of retirees from across the border and many have been swayed by the strength of the leave argument from their neighbours. If enough of those people vote to leave it'll be bye bye.

Had a Dubliner round yesterday. She was worried that even in the event of a ref going the way of reunification, a very sizeable Unionist rump would remain as a proportion of the population, and paramilitary action would kick off.
Also that there is strong and justified feeling that the south cannot afford the north, which, er ,runs, at a loss.

Gone with none. I think we will all rejoin together (which wasn’t an option but perhaps should have been) or not at all.

I don’t think Scotland will go independent because they won’t get another vote in the foreseeable future.

I don’t think NI will rejoin Ireland because, even if they want to, Ireland does not support it. Again, for the foreseeable.

It's a completely different political landscape now to when the last referendum was held. Back then Scotland was in the EU and any notion of splitting up the UK was based on romance as much as anything else. Now with Scotland voting to remain in the EU and (Little) England voting to leave there is a massive political and social division between the two nations. I keep hearing from various Tory ****ers that London voted to remain so why should Scotland be considered differently... well obviously because it's a country in its own right FFS! FWIW I think they deserve a second referendum and personally I hope they vote leave and make a go of it. Best of luck to them... and yes I'm English (sadly as I detest England and being English right now - it's a ****ing embarrassment frankly).

I don’t think NI will rejoin Ireland because, even if they want to, Ireland does not support it. Again, for the foreseeable.

I think it will happen, but a l-o-n-g- time in the future. The last thing the Irish want (and need) is (a) the bill, currently footed by the UK taxpayer, and (b) three-quarters of a million unwilling Unionists, not necessarily in that order. IMHO (northern Prod here) it would be nice if it happened by the centenary of Partition (next year), but, barring some cataclysmic development, there's absolutely no chance of that happening.

And there remains a possibility that it might never happen. After a century, the two bits of Ireland have developed different cultures, and the combination of the two, while respecting what each sees as its rights, could be problematic. The Shinners naturally say there'd be no problem, but then they comply with the classic definition of a fanatic - someone with both feet firmly planted in the air.

advertisement

Back