advertisement

Winter election III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something nobody ever seems to explain - if we do borrow heavily now, not just for investment in genuine infrastructure improvement projects that potentially bring back a return, but for other large ticket non-investment items such as WASPI women (~£58billion +) - when would we plan to pay back these loans to return the debt level even back to where it is now? Interest rates may be at a historical low now, but what happens in future years if rates return to previous levels?

No. No. We have been told that labours sophisticated use of fiscal policy is very good. Maccy D would have factored in potential global interest rate changes over the med:long term, into his spending proposals and policies. And of course if interest rates caught anyone out, then taxation on the billionaires would cover any delta.

Or of course there is always increased borrowing or the IMF if it really goes all Greek.

Sound plan.

Jeremy Corbyn is the 8-track cartridge of British politics. It was shit, even at the time, back in the 1970s. But still wobbling on, after all these years, on a continuous loop.

Yes. Twas as selective as Mattr post wot inspired it.

Cut both ways. Means little.

My post was a broad summary of the consensus academic view. Only "means little" if you have a Govian view of experts and knowledge.

My post was a broad summary of the consensus academic view. Only "means little" if you have a Govian view of experts and knowledge.

Give up. It was specific, selective, and every bit as Govian as your post, and also your subsequent lame and defensive response.

If academic concensus is your main arbiter of truth and expertise, good for you. But you might also be sensible to concede that that in itself might also matter little to many.

Or not.

Matters little again.

No. No. We have been told that labours sophisticated use of fiscal policy is very good. Maccy D would have factored in potential global interest rate changes over the med:long term, into his spending proposals and policies. And of course if interest rates caught anyone out, then taxation on the billionaires would cover any delta.

Or of course there is always increased borrowing or the IMF if it really goes all Greek.

Sound plan.

John McDonnell will want to overthrow capitalism and do a Venezuela. Only he reckons he will do a Venezuela properly.

(He'll be disappointed though as all the latest polls all suggest a 9 point lead)

Can you provide the source for the list above? It struck me reading it, that since last there was a Soviet military presence in Europe, millions have been born, grown up, married and had children of their own.

You're probably right, and certainly that point about Soviet military in Europe does give away that this was from a while ago. Nevertheless, the mistake made in 99% of political comments of whatever shade, absolutely everywhere, is to ignore history, and rant slavishly according to attitudes currently fashionable on "social media". Thus an opinion is deemed to be worth nothing if it has not first been tried on in front of the mirror, to see if the holder likes the view of themselves the opinion appears to imply -- it seems to me that it is literally as shallow as that.

The list was taken from the Declaration of Venice (March, 1962), by the National Party of Europe, as part of its 'Europe, a Nation' initiative under the direction of Sir Oswald Mosley, who was a actual, genuine fascist, and would have been flattered to be called one. With the benefit of some historical perspective, we can therefore conclude that anyone who would support these aims as detailed (and in many cases, now realised) could therefore also be called a fascist (and that's you Ken Clarke, John Major, Michael Heseltine, Sarah Wollaston, Heidi Allen, Tony Blair, Miss Piggy, Kier Ober-Starmer, etc.). You can't really support Moseley's policies and then deny being a fascist.

Thirty years ago, with the collapse of the Berlin Wall, it was rashly and wrongly assumed that the scourge of Marxism had been expunged, creating a new historical era. In reality of course, the crude, lumbering Soviet model of Marxism, which had become a liability to its supporters, had reached the end of its life, and it was discreetly replaced by the sleeker model that the Frankfurt School had been refining since the 1920s, based not on state control of economies but on the infinitely deadlier subversion and subjugation of culture. Now, after the long march through the institutions, cultural Marxism has occupied most of the commanding heights of British society. Parts of our universities are seminaries of totalitarian intolerance -- the undergraduate revolutionaries of a generation ago are today's senior common room commissars.

That's the root of most of today's problems. Most people know this instinctively, but nobody will admit it because there's no 'visible virtue' in a historical perspective. Instead, the shallow and fashionable notion of 'Diversity' is valued over all else, except of course, Diversity of opinion.

Luckily, there's none of this baggage in voting. Nobody sees how you vote.

I reckon the only possible* silver lining for Corbynistas this election will be Kuenssberg's resignation (aka sacking).

* I say 'possible' as she'll probably still be around long after Corbyn is gone. Reporting fondly on Prime Minister Boris' triumphant trip to America in 2022 to promote British marmalade after exports plummet and the economy collapses.

Update: Nope, not even going to get that https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...itical-editors-postal-vote-comments-broke-law
I really cannot be outraged by this, seems very innocuous to me. Lots of pearl clutching going on.

I am a postal voter & I couldn't give a chuff

Another angry voice are running a news clip of a bbc reporter piece to camera saying Boris Johnson deserves to win but I can’t copy n paste it here.

Now, after the long march through the institutions, cultural Marxism has occupied most of the commanding heights of British society. Parts of our universities are seminaries of totalitarian intolerance -- the undergraduate revolutionaries of a generation ago are today's senior common room commissars.

That's the root of most of today's problems.

And there was I thinking that the root of most of today's problems (in the UK and USA) is regulatory capture, crony capitalism, and the resulting massive inequality in wealth and opportunity.

Savanta ComRes have just dropped a (not quite) Survation with their final poll. It may mean we have to stay up late tomorrow after all...

ELiNwUbXYAAFOsU

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back