advertisement

Older car styling

It's given us a load of cars all built to the same regulations, which is why 99% of them all look and drive about the same. It's only the esoteric stuff worth getting excited about.
99%of the buyers couldn't give a toss. They just want a new plate and the right badge.

Yes indeed, we even have some locally grown brands that are supposed to be pretty decent quality wise (unlike some of the nasty Chinese brands out there).

GPX%20LEGEND-Release-2019-Checkraka%20(11)-005.jpg

Screenshot_1-2-1024x693-1024x693.jpg

za-MotorCycle-30-06-60-01-1024x683.jpg
They really look the part. Are they any good? As you say the Chinese stuff is horrible, you see 2 or 3 year old Chinese bikes that just look wrecked by corrosion after 2 British winters.

They really look the part. Are they any good? As you say the Chinese stuff is horrible, you see 2 or 3 year old Chinese bikes that just look wrecked by corrosion after 2 British winters.
They are still miles away, Steve. And Stallion is the Chinese in Thailand.

Triumph is the best in the world for quality retro bikes at the moment.

Last edited:
2hWYL76
2hWXLPe

The above are supposed to be photos of a 1953 MG TD & a 1964 Bentley "Chinese Eye"convertible ... instead , I present you with two red crosses :mad: (I tried pasting every link variation from the Sharing tab on Flickr into the Image inserter without success).

Last edited:
Always wanted a TR 6 but now it is too late due to rocketing prices and probably not that many left due to rust problems . A friend had a purple one and was certainly a babe magnet in the day

Always thought the MG A was a graceful looking thing.
8c98060fc1530f72f9c8eb6cacdb88b9.jpg

Very pretty cars, I have always had a soft spot for them.

I had a 1959 1600 FHC ran it for a few months till the MOT ran out. I planned restoring it but came to the conclusion the job was beyond my capabilities. I sold it on after a few years, I did get an enquiry form DVLA checking if was still the registered keeper.

Just checked the DVLA website and the last entry was the licence expiring in Nov 1978. So perhaps the job was too difficult for the buyer.

Always wanted a TR 6 but now it is too late due to rocketing prices and probably not that many left due to rust problems . A friend had a purple one and was certainly a babe magnet in the day

Damson.

Yup, that was an absolute classic TR6 colour.

Talking of car colours, my MG Midget was citron yellow.
I thought it looked wonderful.
It was replaced by a pale, rather insipid, yellow.
( I think is was called primrose yellow )
Certainly didn’t have the same impact...

Aren't E46s reknown for rear suspension and subframe problems? Maybe Rich's had a knackered rear end.

I never had any problems - although dampers and bushes can need replacing after 90k miles. M3s had different rears, by the stock e46s, even with M suspension and 18" low profiles all did well.

On bumpy U.K. Roads and if you are 'kerb fiend' , the alignments should be checked regularly as these can otherwise put strain on SI frames, wheel bearing etc, as well as upset handling.

The 6spd 330d msport touring, with a remap, was one of the best cars I ever ran. Good at everything, and no slouch.

Do people still say things like “I’m a Ford man. I’ve always bought Fords, always bloody will.”?

Even as a kid I thought that was weird, limiting, and tinged with hatred.

Inserts RS before Ford, and that would have yielded some nice drives over the years, although limiting, as you said

Yes, to me they are the prettiest hot hatch ever. Covered many miles driving them while doing a press job for the RAC Rally in 1989 and 1990. Lovely experiences.

Pininfarina styling, a stark constant to the monstrosities that PSA churn out these days.

I had both a 1.6 then a 1.9 in 80s, and they were great cars and loads of fun.

Oh yes, I’d forgotten about Magenta. Somewhat more in your face!

Personally, Damson was THE TR6 colour.

I had a yellow one, with a damson hardtop. The kids and better half used to laugh - just found that lying at the side of the road one day Dad, thought you'd have it ? - but I thought it looked rather well :)
The hardtop did turn it into a decent looking GT car though, and made it bearable in the Winter.

Giulia Quadrofolio is one modern style and proposition that absolutely floats my boat. Passion and performance enough to keep the Germans in check.

advertisement

Back