advertisement

Older car styling

That’s differne to my experience.

I had all three e46: saloon 328. Touring 330d and coupe 330d. All with m sports suspension I never found much difference in handling
I also had and e46 m3, not CS, which I never really gelled with, as that followed an RS4 biturbo.

I guess it’s alk about perception. What came before, what followed, type of driving etc.

All good satisfying cars to own and run though

Aren't E46s reknown for rear suspension and subframe problems? Maybe Rich's had a knackered rear end.

I object to the Abarth 500, Beetle and Mini as rather naff retro throwbacks. Robbing your back catalogue, however well you do it, just feels like a cop-out.

You can't level the same objection at Porsche, because it's back-catalogue all the way down.
It's a bit like a rock star returning to his early days for inspiration....often it helps. Sometimes those difficult years were the problem, not the return to old ways.

The Abarth 500 is a masterpiece in my opinion.

Aren't E46s reknown for rear suspension and subframe problems? Maybe Rich's had a knackered rear end.
Yeah could be....the main issue with the E46 seemed to be deteriorating running gear that never seemed to be 100% right after throwing cash at them.

Always thought the MG A was a graceful looking thing.
8c98060fc1530f72f9c8eb6cacdb88b9.jpg

From 1984 to 1988 I owned one of these:

49187707116_5be1d32a6c_z.jpg

In more-or-less that colour.

I paid £1600 for it, and sold it for a little more than that. The chassis was rotten (which I declared to the purchaser), and he was chuffed with it.

The picture above is for a recently restored example, now up for auction for £30k+.

I really wish I still had mine. Not for the financial gain, but because I think it was a fantastic looking car.

Always liked the Triumph TR range from TR2 - TR6 but the 7 was not nice.

The 7 had nothing of the TR heritage about it, other than a badge. When I had my 5 I joined the owners club (for parts and advice). Owners of the 7 were not allowed to join that club. Mean, but correct.

We have one, I thought it was a Panda...is that a Ka too? They have not changed the car since launch I believe.

Not sure Rich. Mrs fancied a 500 until she found out it was basically a KA. She had the mk 1 KA many years ago and it was probably the worst new/modern car we have had, laden with trouble.

Shame as I think they are a nice looking little city car too.

Not sure Rich. Mrs fancied a 500 until she found out it was basically a KA. She had the mk 1 KA many years ago and it was probably the worst new/modern car we have had, laden with trouble.

Shame as I think they are a nice looking little city car too.
All good after 4 years from new, except all the electric buttons in the door rest came unglued and needed putting back....Italians eh. 140bhp is just right. The Competiziones are not nice at all. To be in or drive.

All good after 4 years from new, except all the electric buttons in the door rest came unglued and needed putting back....Italians eh. 140bhp is just right. The Competiziones are not nice at all. To be in or drive.

Problem I reckon with the Mrs's was it was a SportKA (not the daft StreetKA as some people think) and its wheels were just too big and wide for the wishbones to cope, it truly ate them....usually taking the tyre down to its carcass if I didn't keep vigilant. The car underneath was basically the same as the 1.0 car but with the 1.6 X/FLOW based engine and no mods to support this. A ridiculous contraption. Looked the part though hence she bought it against my misgivings.

Heater and rust issues too all at 3 years old. I'm sure the next gen. cars have this sorted now or they'd never sell them.

From 1984 to 1988 I owned one of these:

49187707116_5be1d32a6c_z.jpg

In more-or-less that colour.

I paid £1600 for it, and sold it for a little more than that. The chassis was rotten (which I declared to the purchaser), and he was chuffed with it.

The picture above is for a recently restored example, now up for auction for £30k+.

I really wish I still had mine. Not for the financial gain, but because I think it was a fantastic looking car.
Yes, lovely looking things. I had a 4A, in Wedgwood Blue. SAH tuned. Loved that car, marriage forced sale.

Heater and rust issues too all at 3 years old. I'm sure the next gen. cars have this sorted now or they'd never sell them.

Do people still say things like “I’m a Ford man. I’ve always bought Fords, always bloody will.”?

Even as a kid I thought that was weird, limiting, and tinged with hatred.

advertisement

Back