advertisement

Should Scotland be an independent country?

Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Brexit is the defining issue of this election- it’s going to slice through the voting blocks of both major parties on Dec 12th. If the skint voters of Hartlepool elect a right wing property speculator / self-appointed ambassador to Trump on no manifesto, or vote for him in large enough numbers to consume most of Labour’s majorly, it’ll be highly symbolic. A red flag but not in the accepted sense.
In England too? If it was Lib Dem would be at 48% in the polls right now. Instead, the leader is probably sensing a gnash of mutinous teeth behind her.

Here is one of my own. It got played on 6music 5 days in a row and played on radio 2 maybe twice. I made about 300 quid in radio royalties, mostly from Radio 2, 85 quid a go. Spent the cash on coke and hookers.

https://open.spotify.com/track/6oowdGwZotRVjo532oX8Fw?si=UXH2__StRm2yHj6XJ8U1pQ

Just kidding....it's a sad song about working class girls in Thailand getting forced into prostitution, men playing them from more than one side. Obviously it's all fake though. I am nothing more than a pig. Oink oink.

I even achieved a 6music DJ's 19th best album of 2011...6 places ahead of Dangermouse, whoop!

https://wherediditallgorightblog.wordpress.com/tag/scottish-indie/

Would you like to try and form an opinion as to why Labour have been largely shunned in Scotland in more recent times Brian?
All those people who used to vote for them have suddenly become avid nationalists? I really don't think so. The anti-Tory vote in Scotland is the backbone of the support the SNP receive, as repeatedly returning a Labour MP became increasingly ineffectual. Simply labeling SNP voters as "nationalist" is just a wee bit lazy and misses the point of the widely felt anger,futility and possibly despair at the direction the UK is taking all of us.
I didn’t say that nor do I believe it. However, some are and a few of them are members of this forum.

How many times do I have to say that being from the NE of England means I fully understand being unhappy with the Westminster govt?

What’s astounding is that in 2004, the N.E was given a referendum on having devolution - a regional assembly to give more local control over public spending and to stimulate growth. They rejected it overwhelmingly -8/10 voted against- if they bothered their arses getting the freepost voting card in the post box that is. Less than half bothered. The result is what you see today- an economic disaster zone run out of London and guess who ran the campaign to reject the assembly? Durham’s very own Startled Testicle, Dominic Cummings.
Now they place their hope in Brexit and Nigel Farage- they have no idea what they just let themselves in for. He’s going to shut down Nissan when he gets his Brexit.

What’s astounding is that in 2004, the N.E was given a referendum on having devolution - a regional assembly to give more local control over public spending and to stimulate growth. They rejected it overwhelmingly -8/10 voted against- if they bothered their arses getting the freepost voting card in the post box that is. Less than half bothered. The result is what you see today- an economic disaster zone run out of London and guess who ran the campaign to reject the assembly? Durham’s very own Startled Testicle, Dominic Cummings.
Now they place their hope in Brexit and Nigel Farage- they have no idea what they just let themselves in for. He’s going to shut down Nissan when he gets his Brexit.
We had a decent govt in 2004.

It’s looking like the Tories are go into lose 10 seats, Labour 6, leaving them on 3 and 1 out of the 59 Scottish seats in Westminster. Almost oblivion in Scotland for a Labour- something my parents could never have imagined. The SNP are likely to be in receipt of all 16 of those seats. Not only do we get centre-left, pro-EU representation in Westminster but we deal a blow to Johnson’s chances of forming a government. In other words doing the work Labour should be doing to block Brexit and the monstrosity of another Johnson-led government. I just hope Labour can make sufficient gains in England to pull it off.
Here in Dumfries and Galloway it's barely worth voting. The Cons are so secure here that a bomb and crowbar would only make a small dent, but it will be a key seat to watch the swing, because if it shifts at all here, then elsewhere, where it's far less partisan. it might tumble in any direction. Nicloa S was very convincing in the televised debate (again) and compared to other leaders (cough) seemed sane, controlled, well informed and almost stateswoman like...blimey! However another referendum is the key for her voting success, because that single matter still is the main talking point north of the border. Other parties wanting seats need to field candidates in the right areas.
My big bug is no green candidate for me. Voting labour here throws a vote down the pan (there will be 50 of us) so its Lib (er, no) or SNP.
Might just as well of stayed at home.

Sturgeon, having claimed she is concerned for the entire UK if under a tory govt, didn’t do well when it was pointed out there is no more reason for Labour to agree to an early referendum than the SNP drop their demand for one if it gets rid of the tory UK govt.

It’s a wasted vote where I live but I’ll still be voting.

I’d urge my one in Scotland to vote SNP- they’re the likeliest stop the Tories and stop Brexit. All they’re asking for is for the population to be given the opportunity to decide on independence and you can always vote no. Unless of course we’re landed with a majority Toty govt and Lousy Brexit then you have the ejector seat option.

I’d urge my one in Scotland to vote SNP- they’re the likeliest stop the Tories and stop Brexit. All they’re asking for is for the population to be given the opportunity to decide on independence and you can always vote no. Unless of course we’re landed with a majority Toty govt and Lousy Brexit then you have the ejector seat option.
I know you’re a waste of time and will just go on repeat, Hugh, but how exactly is the SNP going to stop brexit?

Why not drop the demand for another referendum in 2020, agree a date for one ~2027 and help Labour oust the tories to benefit the entire UK? Give Labour a chance to implement their manifesto that is aimed at all of the UK? What exactly is the problem with that? Insisting on a referendum in 2020 really does stink of hating the English.

If the tories win the GE by all means go on the rampage and demand a referendum in 2020, but there is no point in Labour agreeing to such a thing.

By the way, if all SNP seats in Scotland went to Labour, that will give the best chance of stopping brexit insofar as there will be a second referendum under a Labour govt.

You might call it the will of the people (in Scotland). Let’s find out what they say. Labour in Scotland would need a jolt from Dr. Frankenstein to show signs of life again.

Hard to believe that anyone actually believes in democracy by referendum after Brexit, if offered the choice on single issues then people cannot be trusted, they simply aren't informed enough and cannot see the bigger picture. We are a parliamentary democracy, anything else is anarchy.

Labour is set to lose all but one of its seats in Scotland, according to a new poll.

://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2019/11/24/labour-facing-electoral-wipeout-in-scotland-poll-suggests/

...this suggests that Labour will fare worse than the Dark Side up here again. Something has clearly gone wrong with trust and credibility for Labour when they can't even see off that shower of shite that is the Scottish Conservatives.

(The link is to a local paper quoting a poll for the Sunday Times.)

Having taken a week’s internet break - most refreshing - and not read the thread, my answer to the thread title :

If U.K. remains in EU, definitely not (numbers just don’t add up anywhichway).

If U.K. leaves, then yes if, & only if, EU membership can be assured (unfortunately, I don’t see how this can happen & note NS has not explained this in a remotely convincing way).

But if Scottish independence happens as per the second scenario above, I’ll apply for a passport immediately.

advertisement

Back