advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part VI

Not unsurprisingly I agree with Stiglitz. I don't think it has much to say about that EU unless you are one of those who think it's all a Neoliberal plot rather than boring old European social democracy.

I'd also suggest it says more about people who are against neoliberal economics but also somehow voted to Leave because nothing will get you a bigger, harder dose of neoliberalism than voting for one of the various Brexit options.

I didn't reply initially because your point seemed self-evidently asinine and my forehead is still a bit raw from all my recent *facepalming*.

I guess that you must be one of those who thinks that the EU is just boring old European social democracy then.

And you state, with your usual complete absence of any trace of self-doubt, that it's me who is 'asinine'!

There's none so blind as those with eyes but who will not see.

Oh, I don't disagree with you on Johnson, etc, but that's an issue that will have to be dealt with at the ballot box. You can't touch those kind, benign, worker's-rights loving EU 'social democrats' with any kind of ballot box, however defective it may or may not be. The nearest that you could get at the Junckers of the world with a ballot box is if you slung one at him and scored a lucky hit.

And you state, with your usual complete absence of any trace of self-doubt, that it's me who is 'asinine'!

Because, like your concern for the Greeks, it was so obviously disingenuous and because there are no good arguments for Brexit so you are left with this sort of thing.

Indeed a better argument would be that it wasn't for our own Neoliberal governments the nation would probably have not voted to Leave and we could have avoided this whole shitshow.

Oh, I don't disagree with you on Johnson, etc, but that's an issue that will have to be dealt with at the ballot box. You can't touch those kind, benign, worker's-rights loving EU 'social democrats' with any kind of ballot box, however defective it may or may not be. The nearest that you could get at the Junckers of the world with a ballot box is if you slung one at him and scored a lucky hit.
Just about the only upside that I can see to a Tory victory in the upcoming GE, would be that it might bury the idea that we have control, via the ballot box, in our own domestic arena.

Because, like your concern for the Greeks, it was so obviously disingenuous and because there are no good arguments for Brexit so you are left with this sort of thing.

Indeed a better argument would be that it wasn't for our own Neoliberal governments the nation would probably have not voted to Leave and we could have avoided this whole shitshow.

To state that there are no good arguments for Brexit is utter cobblers. Your problem, if I might venture, lies in the fact that you seem simply incapable of even seeing them, let alone comprehending them. I guess you are a numbers man, and can't see past the numbers.

To state that there are no good arguments for Brexit is utter cobblers. Your problem, if I might venture, lies in the fact that you seem simply incapable of even seeing them, let alone comprehending them. I guess you are a numbers man, and can't see past the numbers.
Non numbers is a xenephobic shitshow too.

James (notso) Cleverly on Breakfast TV was a joy this morning. Surprisingly, it was Louise Minchin that didn't let go this time. I'm slowly getting the impression that BBC journalists have been instructed not to let things pass, and challenge any attempts to bend the facts. I noticed this trend on the Today programme too. At last.

Piers Morgan absolutely skewered him. I can't stand PM, but at least he threw his kitchen sink of shouty beligerance at the Tory liar.

To state that there are no good arguments for Brexit is utter cobblers.

Ok, lets assume there are good arguments for Brexit but people have just been unwilling to say them out loud for the last three years and instead come out some reheated Empire nonsense or 1000 word esoteric posts that destroy the will to live before getting to the point.

672965cf-fb2f-4bb8-a47c-9bf2b782bbe4.jpg

...and don't come back!

I'm currently reading this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1789540984/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Fintan O'Toole is a columnist for The Irish Times, and I always enjoy his columns. I've only just started this book, but it's shaping up well. Essentially he puts England (which, after all, is Brexitland) on the psychiatrist's couch and examines why it had this breakdown. Now he is Irish, and the Irish have always been enthusiastic EEC/EU members, unlike the English, who, in general, reluctantly acceded to it and have remained uncomfortable with rules made by funny foreigners. Meaning that the account could be seen to be biased, especially given the long, unfortunate history between England and Ireland. However, some absolute gems of observations so far.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back