advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

dsc_0341-jpg.626078

Tudor Submariner 76100

(My camera doesn't have a macro lens so I shot through one of those magnifying desk lamp things. This is a full-size Sub, not a medium, I just have large wrists.)

I am I must admit a dreadful movement snob when it comes to watches - almost everything I own is a mechanical automatic. There is something eminently sensible about a quartz diver - especially a wonderfully big beast of a Seiko one :)
Are there any others you'd recommend apart from the Tuna and the 7548 ?

For a quartz diver, the Casio Duro has got to be on the table... or 200m under the sea!

91jXI3HY2nL._AC_UL320_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yeah, my mum literally has no interest in mechanical watches. The watch I'd like to buy her is one of these two Baume & Mercier quartz watches, but unless one of them drop below £1K, she'll be getting something else.

MOA10490 (27mm)
2-089-03-0023.jpg

M110374 (31mm)
0110374-0-ProductX

Truth be told most of my watches too are vintage mechanical but for every day wear nowadays I prefer my quartz Seiko divers. They are virtually fuss-free and accurate. I am a bit tired of keeping my mechanical ones in good order and good reliable watch servicing is not easy to find.

The Tuna and 7548s are my personal favorites but some of the old Seiko quartz chronographs are very cool as well. Especially the ones issued to British military helicopter crew:

SEIKO_7A28_RAF_WRIST2.jpg

They are a bit small by today's fashion standards but they are so cool!

There are various models and variations of the Tuna both vintage and current. I like the 300m version but there are 600m and 1000m ones that are really too big for me. Can't go wrong with a Tuna IMO. CWC also make some nice quartz military divers as well.

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections/divers-watches

What is the reference number for the chrono in the pic? I like it!

dsc_0341-jpg.626078

Tudor Submariner 76100

(My camera doesn't have a macro lens so I shot through one of those magnifying desk lamp things. This is a full-size Sub, not a medium, I just have large wrists.)

There's lovely :=)

There's lovely :=)

I was shocked the last time I looked at prices for these. I've got $800 in the watch, I'm seeing these priced at $3500-$8000 now. Granted, the $8000 ones still have box and papers, and clean bevels on the edge showing they've never been polished.

iiuc Tudor being less trendy than Rolex has led to them being rarer. Congratulations!

So I've arrived in Vienna and am taking the pensioners for a shuffle.....
Popped into the Rolex shop as they had the latest 'batman' on display. Rrp around 6.5k so I enquired thinking I might like it..... He gave me a knowing smirk and asked for 17900€ saying that's a little less than current market price! It was released in February ffs
nv3XpA9uUeQKABdj6

cix5_ZRoHo7-6QBecysyokHPOLj8PvY9-MXOUNrCHsyW2VtXaVLq-j-WuAbZy0ARLhVzzlaZITwFjmW53Ab5mJN73ZzL6leybOoiyZvS-iGT_xlxqVbR26sw494DYoiMUS6UWm5x8-OZ3271qwYLHS1d_5jwkzbQ-_GyNz1Iq-POcSH-f2dI6ivBVKMapj4XY7ndyDMgnNKiAfWYtzVEFvtjdYaKWnbeRfgke-RMMT0kj7bqoi8ogj2E6AlYw2Rra7kgtnfskf4n-A-N4nyD_Ga2PTTemOymi-EogRlfrlEB9SP2WSinbK74IYP3RXyn5OEXrfI-mKKEf9OgZ_Ho-iq8yzOvwRwPYKgTHKaWncJNgaS_88Aau1oV_JseWyRNVznlBpwlyFsFwn2llaaX-zHaZREcWmPopu95NCiqFz8lSMf8i3gCogA5zsuJno9Yd7K9DV_II-DglP5Uz9-fBB2ai8RIBJCu0hBYsBD94nhtZ83pMs_s_0--7Qnx8fqA3yKS466GNft4LtbJc2SSX2SDXBbxT-gPuChgDwuJ2ocLqiw6Hxmlacc5angjXuVaHImx0478JJJdDqIoskPYFaoRjEAblYT_FTUnbf-xct_cQaUavww1-hD3nX6qwGtVND5dmNHpPlw3NalzzvoXySmhaVqBHV9D=w702-h766-no

Last edited:
34mm? My God, a Rolex that isn't the size of a saucepan, not ostentatious and not shouting "Look at me! I'm big, chunky and expensive!" You will be asked to leave the Golf Club, that's if the Secretary hasn't already had a word with you.

Thats why I picked it, as an engagement present from my now Wife. It slips under the radar and I can wear it everyday without worrying.
34mm? My God, a Rolex that isn't the size of a saucepan, not ostentatious and not shouting "Look at me! I'm big, chunky and expensive!" You will be asked to leave the Golf Club, that's if the Secretary hasn't already had a word with you.

One of those on a leather strap (you can get them), and I'd be a very happy bunny. :)

That is the first Rolex I've seen which I might wear.. but TBH I still don't like the 'standard' shape of Rollexes (Rolexii?) or similar watches.

I also intensely dislike OTT 'chronographs'. No reason.. I just went off them decades ago.

Here is an entire page full of mostly nauseating watches, and there's a pretty strong correllation between high price and nauseatingness. That Hublot 'Spirit of Big Bang.. is grotesque..mostly made of plastic and rubber and £66k ... yuk... somebody's taking the piss bigly with that one..
That Meister-Singer and some of the NOMOS models are much more to my taste.

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/c/Watches/filter/Show_All/?msclkid=3c7719cb85491b3f92de4486d6c22fed&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing - Search - Generics - Watches - HVK - Exact&utm_term=watches&utm_content=Watches - Pure - Exact

Here is an entire page full of mostly nauseating watches, and there's a pretty strong correllation between high price and nauseatingness. That Hublot 'Spirit of Big Bang.. is grotesque.. and £66k yuk. That Meister-Singer and some of the NOMOS models are much more to my taste.

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/c/Watches/filter/Show_All/?msclkid=3c7719cb85491b3f92de4486d6c22fed&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing - Search - Generics - Watches - HVK - Exact&utm_term=watches&utm_content=Watches - Pure - Exact

What watch(es) do you like?

advertisement

Back